Driving from CT to Universal Orlando with some stops | Inside Universal Forums

Driving from CT to Universal Orlando with some stops

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

bobbie68

V.I.P. Member
Apr 12, 2018
Orlando
Hi I am sorry if this is in the wrong place and please feel free to move it.

I am driving to Orlando (Universal) the end of June. This is my first time driving and I know there are a couple of ways to go. We will be stopping in Virginia for a day then heading on to Orlando. Is there any route or time of day that might be better. I will be leaving CT to Virginia on a Sunday morning and leaving Virginia on Tuesday morning to go to Orlando.

On the way home I will be stopping in North Carolina from Orlando on a Friday then heading to Virginia/DC area on Saturday. We will stop over there then head back to CT on Sunday.

I know there is a lot of construction on 95 so looking for any other routes or tips that are good.

Thanks so much:grin:

95 will get very congested in the DC area, but the weekend is definitely much better than a weekday. Try to time your departure from Virginia so you miss the rush hours in Jacksonville and Orlando. 95, for Jacksonville, and I4 for Orlando slow up a good bit during those two rush hour periods. From where you live 95 is basically the most direct route once you hit Virginia.....Seems like the police congregate in the areas on 95 where the road splits off and there's a large green wooded area in the middle. Slow down to the speed limit in those areas. That's generally where you see the police pulling people over.

Awesome thank you! I can now research what time to leave Virginia for Florida. I was having the hardest time with that knowing it was a week day.

Just assume that DC will ALWAYS be horrible traffic and add hours to your trip you weren't expecting. Google maps traffic is your friend in knowing when slowdowns are coming.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Just assume that DC will ALWAYS be horrible traffic and add hours to your trip you weren't expecting. Google maps traffic is your friend in knowing when slowdowns are coming.
Just listen to the nice lady guide you to Orlando! She is right for the most part (did run me around a block in Miami and in Celebration!)

I can't stand driving through D.C. and that is why I am hoping Sunday morning will be my best shot both ways.:grin:

LOL! I agree with letting them guide you for the most part. I have on occasion ended up in an area I really didn't want to be. Plus we use WAZE (I really like) they have celebrity voices. I had to listen to Mr. T for about a month when driving with the family.:eek:O:

A real quick funny story on the voices. We have a friend who recorded his voice for the directions on one his wife's apps. She had to listen to him give her directions with comments, she wanted to kill him:lmao:

You could always go around DC by going down the Garden State Parkway in NJ, taking the Cape May Ferry, then the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel through Norfolk, to I-64 (stop off at Busch Gardens), then to Richmond and back onto I-95.

The time is probably about the same (maybe more), but at least you're not in DC traffic and it adds some adventure on the water!