Dumbo (2019) | Inside Universal Forums

Dumbo (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 4, 2013
Tampa
Really don't know what to make of this one. I've always thought Dumbo was a case where the ride was more popular than the movie, so I have no clue whether or not this will be successful.

New trailer.

I think this actually looks pretty great. I'm sort of getting a "Big Fish" vibe from it, which for me, is perfect because that's my favorite Tim Burton film.

-_-

This just feels like a massive misstep by Disney.

I enjoy the animated film (though it hasn't aged well), but the story is really small and intimate. It works because it's told from the perspective of Dumbo himself. Here, it's a "grander" story being told through the eyes of random circus children.

At least they're doing something with Pink Elephants on Parade.

QUIT REMAKING MOVIESSSSS

So far, it's done nothing but print money for Disney. Why would they stop?

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it makes complete sense as to why they continue to remake films. From a business stand point, it's a pretty easy decision.

^ You're stating the obvious. Sometimes it's best to let things be. Remakes never live up to the originals.

Jungle Book and Cinderella were both very well done. I especially liked Cinderella, it was understated and simple and Cate Blanchett was awesome and Lily James was a perfect cast as well. Hermoine as Belle, not so much. They won't live up to the originals because of the nostalgia and music.

But here's the thing; it's not like they're replacing the originals. You can still watch Dumbo in all its glory and skip this one altogether.
Or watch it, enjoy or hate it, and then go back to original Dumbo.

Reactions: alomar and HereWeGo
I was impressed by the trailers unlike many here and even i'm surprised by how glowing those reviews are.

Surely you guys have realized Ben Mekler makes up a fake quote for every major movie release, right?

This movie's expanded premise has me moderately optimistic. I wasn't going to see this in theaters, but the new trailers/press push have made a difference.

My brother, who works in the film industry, just got back from a screening of Dumbo. He said it was excellent, one of the best movies he's seen in a while, & the CGI was so good it looked completely real.

Reactions: Andysol
I wish Tim Burton would go back to making quirky original movies. I mean I really enjoyed Big Fish, even if it felt like a slight rip off of Forest Gump.

His Remakes/Reboots have been mostly terrible.