Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

East Coast Trip, Theme park options?

Sep 23, 2012
UK
I,m in the early, very early stages of planning a road trip for next year.

Im toying with flying into New York and spending a few days before cruising down the East Cost to Orlando, maybe in a Mustang.

New York 4/5 Days
Washingtin 2 Days
South Carolina 2 Days (Disney's Hilton Head)
Orlando/Keys 15/21 Days
Miami 2 days

Fly Home form Miami.

Can you guys recommend any Decent parks on, or not too far off, my route? I am more than familiar with the Orlando parks but are there any parks worth a visit along the East coast?

My dream Park would be Cedar Point but thats a bit far out for this trip, will get thre one day though.

Any tips or advice most welcome and I look forward to your sugesstions

Cheers.

Last edited:
I've never been but Carrowinds might be on the way from Washington to South Carolina. Dollywood may not be too far off your path either, I think Gatlinburg is only 2 hours away from Charlotte.

Wow you got a keys trip in there too, I haven't gone the past year and a half but love it down there. Lots and lots of fun, especially if you are there for Lobster Season.

Given the scope of your trip, I would just plan on Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg. BGW is the best non Disney/Universal park in the country. The only other 2 parks in the east I recommend are Cedar Point and Dollywood and you won't be very close to either. Dollywood would be doable but a bit of a drive.

Given the scope of your trip, I would just plan on Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg. BGW is the best non Disney/Universal park in the country. The only other 2 parks in the east I recommend are Cedar Point and Dollywood and you won't be very close to either. Dollywood would be doable but a bit of a drive.
I agree, definitely Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

If you are a coaster person, hit Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey (an hour south of NYC). It's worth it just for El Toro and Nitro. Like everyone has said Busch Gardens Williamsburg is worth visiting and Kings Dominion is on the way as well. I would hit them in the order of SFGAdv, KD, BGW since each one is better than the previous, otherwise you will experience disappointment (or at least I always feel disappointment if I go from best, to good to OK).

If he's not going out of his way for Cedar Point, there's no way in hell he's going to Dollywood then.

This is a quick google maps of all the parks on your way from NYC to Orlando. You can skip Carowinds and SF Georgia and cut a lot of driving out.

https://goo.gl/maps/63OyH

Also, as being from the UK you understand HOW MUCH DRIVING THAT ENTAILS? I've heard many many reports of European guests imagining it's a day's drive when it's a lot more.

Yeah I'd definitely go with Six Flags Great Adventure, as well as, Kings Dominion, BGW, Hersheypark, and Carowinds (and if possible Dollywood). Carowinds is also getting a coaster next year (a 300 ft giga) so you won't want to miss that!

I'm actually visiting Dollywood and BGW for the first time this summer! Excited! :happy:

Last edited:
I know they've added the Intimidator coaster, but the last time I was at King's Dominion the park was mostly crap. Has that changed?

If you like coasters, I'd totally recommend Six Flags Great Adventure. Some top notch ones there. However, if you're not a coaster fan, I'd avoid it.

It's not much of a "theme" park, but more of a thrill park.

I agree with everyone though, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is an absolute must.

You really should consider Kings Dominion also. It's a solid park and you are most likely going to drive within a 200 meters of it.

This. Dollywood, Hershey, and more are 'close', but KD and SFGA are the closest to your travel route. It's not even close.

I know they've added the Intimidator coaster, but the last time I was at King's Dominion the park was mostly crap. Has that changed?

I think the last few times, at least, the park failed to disappoint me one bit. It had a pretty decent variety, and it was pretty clean. I also heard, this year, they are bringing back many nostalgic elements lost when Paramount took over.

You probably went when Paramount still ran the park. I heard back then, all those parks sucked.

I went there last year and while Intimidator and Volcano were amazing, the rest of the park left me underwhelmed. There is an attempt at themeing in those two sections of the park, but the rest is pretty much asphalt pathways with no shade. They also had terrible food quality and higher food prices than the Orlando parks.

I'll agrees with everyone about BGW; that is an amazing park. Great atmosphere and great rides.

Last edited: