Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 212 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I don't doubt them being that stupid. But they will have royally screwed their local economy and any employees who went back to work and thus did not collect the last month+ of supercharged unemployment.

Shutdowns cannot be the end-all, be-all policy here. There have to be sustainable ways to live with the virus until vaccine. (That probably means no indoor dining, no movie theaters, no indoor *anything* where your mask can come off.)

We really screwed up that 2nd part, though. We're essentially restarting where we were in March, but in a worse place. We had 4 months of prep and did jack with it.

I'll say it again. None. Of. This. Had. To. Happen.

We really screwed up that 2nd part, though. We're essentially restarting where we were in March, but in a worse place. We had 4 months of prep and did jack with it.

I'll say it again. None. Of. This. Had. To. Happen.

Oh, I agree. I was angry when some business types opened, because it was inevitably going to lead us here.

What also sucks is there is literally no way Los Angeles stomachs another intense lockdown, even if it is necessary. The patience for it is not here - I see it every time I go outside. People will just congregate indoors in underground operating business or each other's residences.

Reactions: Grabnar
Dr. Birx said earlier this week that no one anticipated that the nation's youth would go party crazy after the lockdown was eased. It's on their shoulders primarily.
Nah, that's ludicrous. People should be smarter, and they're not off the hook. But it's primarily on the government for not instituting a strict lockdown (our lockdowns are more like Europe's "reopenings") to crush the curve and then not doing crap to prepare for a reopening. If you open bars, people are going to go to bars! Instead of the government mandating those things staying closed and then financially supporting said places and their workers, we decided that no holds barred was the way to go. A total failure.

Nah, that's ludicrous. People should be smarter, and they're not off the hook. But it's primarily on the government for not instituting a strict lockdown (our lockdowns are more like Europe's "reopenings") to crush the curve and then not doing crap to prepare for a reopening. If you open bars, people are going to go to bars! Instead of the government mandating those things staying closed and then financially supporting said places and their workers, we decided that no holds barred was the way to go. A total failure.
Yeah, don’t blame people for going to bars when they were told by their governors (and the president) it was safe to do so.

Yeah, don’t blame people for going to bars when they were told by their governors (and the president) it was safe to do so.
how about all the house parties, and distancing guidelines etc., and a thing called 'personal responsibility'. You guys always say follow the scientific data. in the case of the surge the data points soundly at the under 30's. You can't just use your 'science' excuse when it fits your dialogue.

Reactions: Andysol
how about all the house parties, and distancing guidelines etc., and a thing called 'personal responsibility'. You guys always say follow the scientific data. in the case of the surge the data points soundly at the under 30's. You can't just use your 'science' excuse when it fits your dialogue.

I literally said that they're not completely off the hook. But the government did nothing of value during the lockdown phase, didn't institute a lockdown strict enough to crush the curve, and then pushed for bars, restaurants, and gyms to open and for people to patronize them. To say the government is not the primary driver for our issues is just wrong.

I certainly blame people... for living under a rock in total ignorance! And I don’t believe any leader said that it was safe to go to a bar... they just said, the bars can open with limits. Many many bars and the people who entered ignored those limits.

Reactions: Frogki and Mad Dog
I literally said that they're not completely off the hook. But the government did nothing of value during the lockdown phase, didn't institute a lockdown strict enough to crush the curve, and then pushed for bars, restaurants, and gyms to open and for people to patronize them. To say the government is not the primary driver for our issues is just wrong.
Was referring to the surge, not the other issues..... Sure, I've always said the govt., govt agencies here, and in most countries of the world have handled this poorly from day one. And I'm certainly no fan of 45. Just about every government was ill prepared and the infighting and professional jealousies among national and world health experts has been disheartening. And the slow refusal of the in office experts to accept findings of physicians on the front lines has also been disappointing. And then you have the WHO, that's ten steps behind just about everyone else in the world on masks, the newer strain being way more contagious, and the reality of air born contagion It's a recipe for disaster.....But getting back to the surge, the lack of responsibility emanating from the under 30's, going all the way back to spring break and now 'youth gone wild'. Just gotta party. And even with the new seriousness and emphasis on the surge by the media, they are still continuing. Shut down the bar. Well, then a couple hundred will go to someones house, drink, party, vape and do whatever else. and....in Orlando, these are the people that need Universal & Disney for jobs for themselves and their families, and they're cutting the economy out under themselves.they really need to calm down, re examine their life under covid, take it easy for a few months, and quit doing stuff that has the potential to seriously affect tourism in an area that really has no other major industry to fall back on.

Last edited:
Big 10 goes to a conference-only football schedule, and even that is only “if they are able to participate in fall sports”
Yup. Interestingly when March Madness fell apart it started with the Ivy League and yesterday the Ivy League was the first to cancel fall sports and now it seems a very similar trajectory is happening as back in March.

Was referring to the surge, not the other issues..... Sure, I've always said the govt., govt agencies here, and in most countries of the world have handled this poorly from day one. And I'm certainly no fan of 45. Just about every government was ill prepared and the infighting and professional jealousies among national and world health experts has been disheartening. And the slow refusal of the in office experts to accept findings of physicians on the front lines has also been disappointing. And then you have the WHO, that's ten steps behind just about everyone else in the world on masks, the newer strain being way more contagious, and the reality of air born contagion It's a recipe for disaster.....But getting back to the surge, the lack of responsibility emanating from the under 30's, going all the way back to spring break and now 'youth gone wild'. Just gotta party. And even with the new seriousness and emphasis on the surge by the media, they are still continuing. Shut down the bar. Well, then a couple hundred will go to someones house, drink, party, vape and do whatever else. and....in Orlando, these are the people that need Universal & Disney for jobs for themselves and their families, and they're cutting the economy out under themselves.they really need to calm down, re examine their life under covid, take it easy for a few months, and quit doing stuff that has the potential to seriously affect tourism in an area that really has no other major industry to fall back on.

And, that's a negative indictment on our youth, and perhaps the way many were raised....The data is pretty clear in nearly every area of the country. The surge came from them.......and everyone speculated it was going to come from another demographic, which has proved wrong.

You love blaming young people when it’s the old people in our government royally screwing us.

You love blaming young people when it’s the old people in our government royally screwing us.
...........and if you read all my posts, you'll see they get plenty of blame too. :lol:....but the surge is the one, and only, area that I've placed blame on the youth, as have many experts across the country....Follow the data....as you guys always say.

...........and if you read all my posts, you'll see they get plenty of blame too. :lol:....but the surge is the one, and only, area that I've placed blame on the youth, as have many experts across the country....Follow the data....as you guys always say.
The younger generation is also the primary workers in places like bars and restaurants, increasing Their chances of infection. I think you’re overblowing this “partying” aspect

The younger generation is also the primary workers in places like bars and restaurants, increasing Their chances of infection. I think you’re overblowing this “partying” aspect
I don't think so....just a small example. The Health Department here identified the areas where the bar cases came from, and they were all the college crowd bars. Really no cases from the mill hunk bars, neighborhood bars etc. And they were not employees except for one case. :lol: sorry, but I don't play politically correct.

Last edited:

Following the data though and blaming this on the "youth" isn't very accurate. If you look at % positive in each age group (which is the best indicator against the overall picture, not just raw positive cases) and the percentages don't bear out that claim. Among 5-17 age group and 18-49 age group and the percent positive of tests don't show spikes. The 18-49 age group actually see's a decrease in % positive in the more recent weeks as compared to the earlier weeks.

1594327743034.png

Status
Not open for further replies.