Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 227 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight on the Washington Post web site..."Disney World Reopening in Florida During Pandemic Has Been Disappointing, Executives Concede"..." On a call with analysts
Tuesday, Disney executives noted that fewer people have traveled to the reopened Disney World than they had hoped.
Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said the upside of reopening it's Orlando parks in mid July 'is less than we originally expected given the surge of covid in Florida'.
Disney CEO Bob Chapek , offered a similar assessment, noting the park has experienced 'a higher than expected level of cancellations'. "
50% of WDW guests, at this point in time since reopening , have been from outside the Florida market area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolbfitz
Tonight on the Washington Post web site..."Disney World Reopening in Florida During Pandemic Has Been Disappointing, Executives Concede"..." On a call with analysts
Tuesday, Disney executives noted that fewer people have traveled to the reopened Disney World than they had hoped.
Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said the upside of reopening it's Orlando parks in mid July 'is less than we originally expected given the surge of covid in Florida'.
Disney CEO Bob Chapek , offered a similar assessment, noting the park has experienced 'a higher than expected level of cancellations'. "

Not surprising.

I mean, can't the federal government make it illegal to not take this vaccine due to the circumstances at hand? I know the answer is probably yes and "it depends who is president next year".

On the postive side for Disney, ESPN is thriving now with practically too many sports to show at once and the parks are at least going to have operated for the whole quarter by the time the next quarter comes around. They also have a ton of movies to still release, it's just about when and how (theaters or VOD) they come out. The cruise business is their only sector still basically 100% stagnant. Of course filming for TV shows is rough right now, which is going to hurt ABC and Disney+'s fall lineup.
The answer is, yes, the government can actually make you be vaccinated during a health crisis like this. The SCOTUS ruled that in 1905 (over a smallpox vaccination during an outbreak) and its been upheld a few times since.

The feds couldn't make it mandatory to get the shot but they can withhold services such as schools, DL, vehicle registration etc and it would hurt more not to get it. Kinda like the way childhood vaccination is done today.
Actually the can : In 1905 the Supreme Court addressed mandatory vaccinations in regard to smallpox in Jacobson v Massachusetts . There the Court ruled that the police power of a state absolutely included reasonable regulations established by legislature to protect public health and safety [2]. Such regulations do not violate the 14th Amendment right to liberty because they fall within the many restraints to which every person is necessarily subjected for the common good . Real liberty for all cannot exist if each individual is allowed to act without regard to the injury that his or her actions might cause others; liberty is constrained by law. The Court went on to determine in Jacobson that a state may require vaccination if the board of health deems it necessary for public health or safety.

The answer is, yes, the government can actually make you be vaccinated during a health crisis like this. The SCOTUS ruled that in 1905 (over a smallpox vaccination during an outbreak) and its been upheld a few times since.

Actually the can : In 1905 the Supreme Court addressed mandatory vaccinations in regard to smallpox in Jacobson v Massachusetts . There the Court ruled that the police power of a state absolutely included reasonable regulations established by legislature to protect public health and safety [2]. Such regulations do not violate the 14th Amendment right to liberty because they fall within the many restraints to which every person is necessarily subjected for the common good . Real liberty for all cannot exist if each individual is allowed to act without regard to the injury that his or her actions might cause others; liberty is constrained by law. The Court went on to determine in Jacobson that a state may require vaccination if the board of health deems it necessary for public health or safety.
I wonder what would be the outcome if it were reheard today? I can understand physical things but forced medical procedures like electroshock and lobotomies are frowned upon. Maybe it has to do with degree? I'm no expert but I would think that cooperation would be coerced not forced.

I wonder what would be the outcome if it were reheard today? I can understand physical things but forced medical procedures like electroshock and lobotomies are frowned upon. Maybe it has to do with degree? I'm no expert but I would think that cooperation would be coerced not forced.
Forced medical procedures like you mention are completely different than making it law that all Americans must get the COVID vaccine. I'm sure there would be a court battle, but this is about the safety of everyone in the country, not electroshock or lobotomies. Forcing something like that would have nothing to do with the safety of all Americans.

I think there would be court cases delaying such an order based on arguments of proven safety over time. Then the courts would either rule for more data or give the go-ahead.

I think there would be court cases delaying such an order based on arguments of proven safety over time. Then the courts would either rule for more data or give the go-ahead.
It would certainly be a lengthy court case and probably not worth it in the end.

Reactions: Frogki

Coronavirus continues to keep the cruise industry at bay, and now most major cruise lines have agreed to extend their voluntary halt to sailing from the U.S. until at least November, although some have already put off sailing until December.

Cruise Lines International Association announced its ocean-faring lines will keep their ships without passengers until at least Oct. 31, pushing a previous no-sail agreement past Sept. 15. This applies to member lines including Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line, Carnival Cruise Line, MSC Cruises, Celebrity, Princess and Disney Cruise Line among others.

All cruise lines continue to fall under a no-sail order from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control that applies to U.S. ports that runs through Sept. 30.

Princess Cruises had already canceled sailings through Dec. 15.

Cedar Fair 2020 Quarterly Report, ending June 28th;
* $6.586 million in revenue. Down 98% from $436.19 million in 2019 quarter
* Operating loss of $142 million
* Attendance of 38,000 visitors at Worlds of Fun and Schlitterbahn water parks. Only parks opened before July.

50% of WDW guests, at this point in time since reopening , have been from outside the Florida market area.
I seriously wonder what they were expecting

Cedar Fair 2020 Quarterly Report, ending June 28th;
* $6.586 million in revenue. Down 98% from $436.19 million in 2019 quarter
* Operating loss of $142 million
* Attendance of 38,000 visitors at Worlds of Fun and Schlitterbahn water parks. Only parks opened before July.

Yikes.

Most businesses that fail during a recession tend to fail quickly or during the rebound stage. Once things start to get better is when we’re going to see a lot of the casualties.

• Sad
Reactions: JoeCamel
Yikes.

Most businesses that fail during a recession tend to fail quickly or during the rebound stage. Once things start to get better is when we’re going to see a lot of the casualties.
They said they borrowed enough/credit line to get well into 2021. They better hope there's a 2021 rebound. They can't afford too much red ink next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.