Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 232 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this article Universal does better than Universal in Orlando.
Universal Orlando attendance recovering better than Disney | blooloop

as a local,
universal is much easier to get to and much easier to park for.
even just getting to disney is a hassle sometimes. and universal in two parks next to each other has more to offer than one single disney park. i could see how it would seem like an easier time to go to uni. a more easy going experience

Figured this was bound to happen. Up until recently I worked for the trade show vendor (Maritz Global Events, formerly Experient Inc.) used by IAAPA for registration and a couple other services. If you attended IAAPA in the past, you might have seen me. I actually met hatetofly while working the outdoor registration tent. There had been furloughs in April and a bunch of us, including me, received our WARN notices (lay-offs) a couple weeks ago. Just in my old department, onsite services, there are only 4 employees out of what used to be several dozen still working.

Trade shows and conventions are going to take a loooooong time to recover. that’s a lot of unused convention floor space, a lot of temp workers not working, and a lot of restaurants sitting empty. Not to mention the business private parties at the parks would drum up. Not sure how long central Florida can endure this upheaval.

USH just notified a large number of furloughed team members yesterday that their furlough will now be permanent layoffs. They will be eligible to be recalled for up to two years. It appears they are targeting those below a certain threshold of hours, primarily affecting those who have not accrued much time to begin with over the past year.

Last edited:
In other convention news, Orange County (FL) has stopped work on their planned expansion to the OCCC.

Construction was originally planned to start soon, but Coronavirus had delayed it while design work was continuing. Now they plan to stop design work as well with the supporting tourism revenues down significantly. The cancellation is primarily due to Covid, but may also be due to political shifts from the latest County Commission election results.

Orange County will halt all work on controversial convention center expansion

Tokyo games will go on “With or without COVID”

They better have a good plan either way.
At this point, we absolutely have the tools to pull that off. For instance, we can look to the university system for examples of what does or doesn’t work.

Many large, state schools that went back in person have failed due to lax regulations, a large party culture, and insufficient testing.

A very small number of schools (mostly small schools) have succeeded with containing without all of the above, but the two large(r) schools that seem to be pulling this off are Boston University and Northeastern University (both in Boston). Between strict regulations on their campuses, heavily enforced masks, and crazy testing schedules (I think they are both up to once every three days), they have been managing it incredibly well, despite being in a major city with students free to interact with the “outside world.” This is the blueprint the Olympics need to have (likely with a few week sequester period at the start).

They better have a good plan either way.

Athletes quarantine 14 days before they fly to the games. Upon arrival tested everyday for 14 days while being isolated and then outside the games must remain in Olympic Village along with the olympic staff. Same thing for the volunteers assisting. Limited spectator/athlete interaction.

Reactions: Andysol
The Olymics has thousand of people hooking up...so yeah I'll bet anything an outbreak happens after the games.

Honestly the Olymics has long passed its due date...not many positives come out of it besides a handful of become rich and famous but we don't settle conflicts with them any more and many times cost wayyyyy more than they make. So really wish they just stopped they do more harm than good and sure next year will have articles about all the harm after like we could not have predicted it

Status
Not open for further replies.