Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So grain of salt rumor, but apparently Disney IS considering releasing Mulan and Black Widow to VOD (not Disney+). I wouldn't have even thought this was a possiblity even as recently as yesterday, but the more I think about it, the more it becomes impossible to just push off every movie - the slate is gonna be jam packed from just Disney movies when theaters reopen if they hold everything, never mind the rest of the industry. Disney is desperate to save money and recoup all the money they can right now, and they've already run the marketing campaigns for Mulan and a lot for Black Widow (if moved back, they'd have to dump more into marketing).

China tried to reopen their theaters and they had to close again. Things aren't going well and I don't think we'll see theaters open until the fall at this point. Maybe they decide to move back the entire Marvel slate and slip Black Widow into The Eternals spot, but that still leaves them with big problems elsewhere. Lots of things are going to have to get dumped to VOD and then Disney+ or Hulu. You guys have to remember that they don't just have their Disney slate, but a large 20th Century slate as well to deal with.

Basically it's just common sense that some things are gonna be forced onto VOD with Disney juggling about 28 theatrical films this year between Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel, 20th Century and Searchlight.
With Marvel I think they'd push the slate back before going to VOD, since Marvel is their cash cow. Also, production on all future projects have been stalled so those are easier to pushback.

Mulan however, at this point, makes a ton of sense to me. Put it on VOD for a full month then D+. I think they don't understand how many D+ subscribers they would get/could get if they started releasing upcoming films they had like Mulan, Antlers (Hulu obviously), Artemis Fowl, projects like that. Idk I feel thats like the only way to make $$$ right now.

With Marvel I think they'd push the slate back before going to VOD, since Marvel is their cash cow. Also, production on all future projects have been stalled so those are easier to pushback.

Mulan however, at this point, makes a ton of sense to me. Put it on VOD for a full month then D+. I think they don't understand how many D+ subscribers they would get/could get if they started releasing upcoming films they had like Mulan, Antlers (Hulu obviously), Artemis Fowl, projects like that. Idk I feel thats like the only way to make $$$ right now.
People would just use the free trial, cancel and then Disney is making nothing. You have to remember, the people interested in Mulan likely already have Disney+ anyway.

Doing VOD, Disney can charge $20-$30 for a first run movie in Mulan and make a lot more money for a month or two before going to Disney+. It's not going to make close to it's budget back, but it would at least be something. Sending it straight to Disney+ would be throwing in the towel.

Reactions: Grabnar

I think it depends on what their projections were from Black Widow and what they/Universal have picked up so far in VOD sales, I think. Given that they're essentially taking at minimum a 1/8th reduction in gross revenue this year I'd wager they're looking for anything to bolster the coming quarters as much as possible.

People would just use the free trial, cancel and then Disney is making nothing. You have to remember, the people interested in Mulan likely already have Disney+ anyway.

Doing VOD, Disney can charge $20-$30 for a first run movie in Mulan and make a lot more money for a month or two before going to Disney+. It's not going to make close to it's budget back, but it would at least be something. Sending it straight to Disney+ would be throwing in the towel.
Ya I agree doesn't make sense to go straight to D+ but that wasn't my point. VOD first for a month, then D+. If these potential billion dollar, or half billion dollar films are going to straight to VOD though that spells major trouble for the movie theatre industry.

So grain of salt rumor, but apparently Disney IS considering releasing Mulan and Black Widow to VOD (not Disney+). I wouldn't have even thought this was a possiblity even as recently as yesterday, but the more I think about it, the more it becomes impossible to just push off every movie - the slate is gonna be jam packed from just Disney movies when theaters reopen if they hold everything, never mind the rest of the industry. Disney is desperate to save money and recoup all the money they can right now, and they've already run the marketing campaigns for Mulan and a lot for Black Widow (if moved back, they'd have to dump more into marketing).

China tried to reopen their theaters and they had to close again. Things aren't going well and I don't think we'll see theaters open until the fall at this point. Maybe they decide to move back the entire Marvel slate and slip Black Widow into The Eternals spot, but that still leaves them with big problems elsewhere. Lots of things are going to have to get dumped to VOD and then Disney+ or Hulu. You guys have to remember that they don't just have their Disney slate, but a large 20th Century slate as well to deal with.

Basically it's just common sense that some things are gonna be forced onto VOD with Disney juggling about 28 theatrical films this year between Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel, 20th Century and Searchlight.
They would have to expect a massive loss on those films then. VOD can't make up for theater rentals (and so far, Universal's experiment with VOD has failed)

They would have to expect a massive loss on those films then. VOD can't make up for theater rentals (and so far, Universal's experiment with VOD has failed)
Well, that's a given.

But Mulan literally had it's premiere already for example. Do you think Disney is really going to want to pour more money into marketing that film in a volatile theatrical market? Moviegoers are going to be timid to return in the numbers they did before. I think Disney takes the loss on a film like Mulan and just throws it on VOD (and eventually over to D+). Black Widow I see them trying their damndest to get into theaters.

My wife was excited to see Black Widow in theaters opening night, I know for a fact she'll have no problem doing it VOD for $20 or so.

Reactions: Legacy
My wife was excited to see Black Widow in theaters opening night, I know for a fact she'll have no problem doing it VOD for $20 or so.
I can guarantee if Black Widow ever fell to VOD, it would be a very high valued buy. I can't see Disney putting it out for less than $30 if they actually did do VOD.

Reactions: Grabnar
I know DisTwitter was making fun of this a couple weeks ago, but the parks closures will affect all of the theme park community websites.

@Brian G., let us know if Inside Universal is falling on hard times and how we can help keep this place afloat!
I can't speak for Brian but I will say a lot of fan sites get a lot of their money from pairing up with a travel partner or hosting events. There's a reason why a lot of sites have forms at the bottom of articles and on the main page to request a quote. IU doesn't do this and instead relies on advertising dollars which while lower is more stable.

If you wish to support the site in a more direct way consider becoming a Premium or VIP member: http://forums.insideuniversal.net/account/upgrades

As Joe linked to it, that's the best way to support the site. I won't ask for donations as all of us are in this together and I imagine everyone is tightening up their belts (plus there are other organizations that would benefit from those donations to fight the virus/job loss/etc.), but I am very appreciative of the few that donated today. Thank you!

Every studio has considered releasing their movies digitally; even Wonder Woman had talks a few days before moving to August. The loss of 3-4 months on the release schedule is going to cause some movies to go digital, but so far, it's just been movies that were tracking poorly (Trolls and The Lovebirds). I could see Disney wanting to put Mulan on digital because most of its marketing budget was spent already, but that also places it in a prime spot for whenever theaters reopen and studios don't want to start new marketing campaigns in an uncertain climate. These are (some of) my predictions for the release schedule:

Everything remaining in May and June gets pulled. Artemis Fowl goes straight to Disney+. Spongebob may go straight to streaming; it's going to be very hard for Paramount to find room on the schedule and they may not have the money. Soul moves to Thanksgiving and pushes Raya to 2021. Candyman will release sometime in October. Top Gun moves to 2021. King of Staten Island and Greyhound will get fall festival pushes and go from there. Titles from smaller studios will be sprinkled around the rest of the year (A24 will probably push Green Knight to late summer).

Disney puts Mulan in Free Guy's July 3 release date. Free Guy will get pushed to Early 2021.

Sony swaps Ghostbusters Afterlife and Peter Rabbit on July 10 and August 7, and Universal shelves The Purge until 2021. A Quiet Place returns to this date.

WB delays Tenet to October and replaces it with In the Heights on July 17. Disney keeps Bob's Burgers here.

Jungle Cruise and Morbius keep their dates on the 24 and 31, but some of the smaller titles from April and May will be sprinkled in to fill screens. Antlers, Bad Trip, My Spy, and Antebellum are solid bets to be placed here. The French Dispatch may also go wide immediately instead of starting in limited if Searchlight doesn't delay its release.

August will probably look like it does right now alongside the changes I mentioned above. The other major movie I can see dropping in August is Spiral.

Black Widow is slotted in the first weekend of September to keep the rest of the MCU on track.

Basically, there will be a very weird mix of delayed films alongside movies that were always scheduled for these particular dates. Some of the big budget movies that I predict are getting delays to 2021 like Top Gun and Free Guy are good for filling spots where movies that were supposed to enter production now get delayed from.

Reactions: Andysol
As Joe linked to it, that's the best way to support the site. I won't ask for donations as all of us are in this together and I imagine everyone is tightening up their belts (plus there are other organizations that would benefit from those donations to fight the virus/job loss/etc.), but I am very appreciative of the few that donated today. Thank you!

Probably would've years ago, just didn't know it was a thing. Happy to do what little I can to keep the site going.

Every studio has considered releasing their movies digitally; even Wonder Woman had talks a few days before moving to August. The loss of 3-4 months on the release schedule is going to cause some movies to go digital, but so far, it's just been movies that were tracking poorly (Trolls and The Lovebirds). I could see Disney wanting to put Mulan on digital because most of its marketing budget was spent already, but that also places it in a prime spot for whenever theaters reopen and studios don't want to start new marketing campaigns in an uncertain climate. These are (some of) my predictions for the release schedule:

Everything remaining in May and June gets pulled. Artemis Fowl goes straight to Disney+. Spongebob may go straight to streaming; it's going to be very hard for Paramount to find room on the schedule and they may not have the money. Soul moves to Thanksgiving and pushes Raya to 2021. Candyman will release sometime in October. Top Gun moves to 2021. King of Staten Island and Greyhound will get fall festival pushes and go from there. Titles from smaller studios will be sprinkled around the rest of the year (A24 will probably push Green Knight to late summer).

Disney puts Mulan in Free Guy's July 3 release date. Free Guy will get pushed to Early 2021.

Sony swaps Ghostbusters Afterlife and Peter Rabbit on July 10 and August 7, and Universal shelves The Purge until 2021. A Quiet Place returns to this date.

WB delays Tenet to October and replaces it with In the Heights on July 17. Disney keeps Bob's Burgers here.

Jungle Cruise and Morbius keep their dates on the 24 and 31, but some of the smaller titles from April and May will be sprinkled in to fill screens. Antlers, Bad Trip, My Spy, and Antebellum are solid bets to be placed here. The French Dispatch may also go wide immediately instead of starting in limited if Searchlight doesn't delay its release.

August will probably look like it does right now alongside the changes I mentioned above. The other major movie I can see dropping in August is Spiral.

Black Widow is slotted in the first weekend of September to keep the rest of the MCU on track.

Basically, there will be a very weird mix of delayed films alongside movies that were always scheduled for these particular dates. Some of the big budget movies that I predict are getting delays to 2021 like Top Gun and Free Guy are good for filling spots where movies that were supposed to enter production now get delayed from.
You're being very optimistic assuming that theaters will be open in at the very beginning of July. These chains are going to have a lot to financially figure out and I suspect a lot of locations never reopen. I also think audiences are going to be very timid in actually gathering for a big movie immediately coming off of this, so while a July 3rd Mulan is better than nothing I guess, I still don't think it's happening.

Much like when China reopened it's theaters for a few days before closing again, I think movies like Avatar, Titanic, ET and the Avengers movies may be shown again in re-release for a "grand reopening" to help get people acclimated to going back to the theater before big releases hit again.

It's now easier at the company I work for to count how many conferences and trade shows actually still scheduled to happen than cancelled. Had my April event just cancel that brings in 40-50k to downtown Houston

Another update from the trade show and conferences sector. Everything I, and most of my coworkers, have been working on has either been cancelled or postponed. Includes events scheduled to happen in June(!). The good thing is that my department has a steady portfolio of events for which we do year round work, so it would be tough to furlough us. Although Summer is notoriously slow for events, so they might end up pulling that trigger on an employee by employee basis. Notgreatbob.gif. Oh my home, Virginia, has a new stay at home order in place until June 10th.
giphy.gif

It will save millions over the next few months, but you're right. In the scope of them losing Billions, this is a drop in the bucket.

Olympics officially rescheduled:

I think still calling them the 2020 Olympics is a clever move and I think everybody would be happy to just have a redo of 2020 next year. As a printer myself, I can guarantee that some printers would have been delighted at the initial thought of having to reprint all the merchandise.

It's hard to believe we're just over 12 weeks into 2020.

Given that Black Widow is an MCU movie and is probably tied into the next movie in some way or another, if you delay one, you're probably going to have to delay everything else in the MCU lineup.

Given that Black Widow is an MCU movie and is probably tied into the next movie in some way or another, if you delay one, you're probably going to have to delay everything else in the MCU lineup.
Well, yeah.

Say you put Black Widow in The Eternals spot. Just slide every movie back one release date. The interesting thing would be how that would affect the Disney+ MCU schedule. Although at this point, I don't think Falcon and the Winter Soldier is releasing on time anyway as they haven't finished shooting, they have post production work to do and the whole production is on pause.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Disney has also been advertising their two new nature documentaries for VOD on CNN today multiple runs. One Dolphins and the other Elephants.

It is amazing the turn around of product advertising... Weathertech's ads are now all about how easy they are to clean and "sanitize"... no more spilled soda/pop.

Well, yeah.

Say you put Black Widow in The Eternals spot. Just slide every movie back one release date. The interesting thing would be how that would affect the Disney+ MCU schedule. Although at this point, I don't think Falcon and the Winter Soldier is releasing on time anyway as they haven't finished shooting, they have post production work to do and the whole production is on pause.

The simple thing to do would be just to push everything back by 6 months and continue on that schedule. The big issue is the delay in cash coming in and a minor issue could be if the scenes for Guardians coaster haven't been filmed yet and Guardians 3 is pushed back but that's easily fixable.

Disney has also been advertising their two new nature documentaries for VOD on CNN today multiple runs. One Dolphins and the other Elephants.

It is amazing the turn around of product advertising... Weathertech's ads are now all about how easy they are to clean and "sanitize"... no more spilled soda/pop.
Those nature docs were always to be released this way, however. They are Disney+ originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.