Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the first "summer" day here in Orlando where the temperature was in the 90's with a heat index over 100. I went out to pick some things up at Lowe's garden center and I was wearing a mask-- it was miserable. Granted every year it takes some time before you acclimate to the heat again (this is my 8th summer here in Orlando), but I just don't think I'll be out in the parks with a mask on this summer. At least not in the afternoon sun and heat. Everyone will have some interesting tan lines this year...

Today was the first "summer" day here in Orlando where the temperature was in the 90's with a heat index over 100. I went out to pick some things up at Lowe's garden center and I was wearing a mask-- it was miserable. Granted every year it takes some time before you acclimate to the heat again (this is my 8th summer here in Orlando), but I just don't think I'll be out in the parks with a mask on this summer. At least not in the afternoon sun and heat. Everyone will have some interesting tan lines this year...

The summer afternoon thunderstorm switch is turned back on too, which is another interesting dynamic with the masks.

Think of the TM's and CM's at Universal, SeaWorld and Disney that will have to endure wearing masks outside all day every day during this summer heat. Bless their soul.

Think of the TM's and CM's at Universal, SeaWorld and Disney that will have to endure wearing masks outside all day every day during this summer heat. Bless their soul.
Anecdotal here- at the Hilton Sandestin, all employees have been wearing masks, including the outdoor wait staff. Today was the first day (and hottest) that not a single outside staff member was wearing a mask. Bartenders, waiters, pool attendants, no one.
Inside were still all wearing masks.

Right now, plan on masks; of course. But I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if we saw outside staff drop it eventually as it warms up (and the press cycle has passed already).
Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if behind the scenes they said “let’s just say masks for now for good press and drop it in a few weeks”.

Legoland Florida is opening June 1st and outlines their plans here. My first thought was they'll never get a bunch of kids to wear masks all day. Turns out they're going the recommended but not required route.

I just bought a copy of the Lego Movie 2 game yesterday. To my surprise, it came with a coupon for 40% admission to one of the US parks.

Guess where I'm going this summer. :)

Anecdotal here- at the Hilton Sandestin, all employees have been wearing masks, including the outdoor wait staff. Today was the first day (and hottest) that not a single outside staff member was wearing a mask. Bartenders, waiters, pool attendants, no one.
Inside were still all wearing masks.

Right now, plan on masks; of course. But I wouldn’t be entirely shocked if we saw outside staff drop it eventually as it warms up (and the press cycle has passed already).
Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if behind the scenes they said “let’s just say masks for now for good press and drop it in a few weeks”.
Universal is way more high profile than Hilton and would get blasted on twitter when their policy states everyone - including TMs - must wear masks. Right now the plan is just to be more lenient and allow for more breaks so that they have a chance to be going into AC often and get some fresh air quickly.

Universal is way more high profile than Hilton and would get blasted on twitter when their policy states everyone - including TMs - must wear masks. Right now the plan is just to be more lenient and allow for more breaks so that they have a chance to be going into AC often and get some fresh air quickly.
No doubt. I find the people who are arguing about the masks on both sides of the argument slightly hilarious.

—-
Person 1: I don’t like masks at Universal. I won’t go if they require them.
Person 2: Then don’t come
Person 1: I literally just said I won’t go...
Person 2: We don’t want you there. Do Not Come!
Person 1: No seriously, I’m not coming
Person 2: STAY HOME!!!
Person 1: ‍:thud:
—-

And then the arguments about what to do when it rains, yadda yadda.
I’d bet serious money the mask rule is all a publicity stunt and they’ll slowly back off of it in the next few weeks starting with outdoors.
I wouldn’t be shocked if it only lasts 2 weeks. I would be shocked if it lasts the entirety of summer.

No doubt. I find the people who are arguing about the masks on both sides of the argument slightly hilarious.

—-
Person 1: I don’t like masks at Universal. I won’t go if they require them.
Person 2: Then don’t come
Person 1: I literally just said I won’t go...
Person 2: We don’t want you there. Do Not Come!
Person 1: No seriously, I’m not coming
Person 2: STAY HOME!!!
Person 1: ‍:thud:
—-

And then the arguments about what to do when it rains, yadda yadda.
I’d bet serious money the mask rule is all a publicity stunt and they’ll slowly back off of it in the next few weeks starting with outdoors.
I wouldn’t be shocked if it only lasts 2 weeks. I would be shocked if it lasts the entirety of summer.
I don't see them backing off until the CDC guidelines change

I don't see them backing off until CDC does for liability reasons.

I don't see them strictly enforcing them for practical reasons.
Enforcing 15,000 people to wear a mask is near impossible. Regular TMs can't ask guests to put a mask on anyway, only Team Leads or higher.

Basically, Universal is going to stick by what the CDC says for park rules, but it's going to be very hard unless they actually get serious and up the amount of security throughout the park and threaten removal if you don't wear your mask (there's few things UOR Security can do, but kicking you out of the park is one of them).

I see them strictly enforcing it because of the resorts ecosystem. It only takes one person.

Ex: Mr A is currently COVID asymptomatic after unknowingly getting the virus in his office from a staff meeting during which no one wore masks as it was hard to speak. He and his family who are currently COVID negative are on their Universal for a 5 day/4 night trip after driving up from Miami deciding to stay at Cabana Bay. Being in the car for so long and with the AC spreading the virus...now the remaining members of his family have COVID in their system.

They arrive at Cabana Bay. In this situation masks are not enforced but recommended. Mr A and Family go to check in with no masks on. They passed the temp check so they think things are good. Their children are running around the lobby laughing and darting in between people. Their virus droplets remaining in the air for three minutes. At the check in desk, people are attempting to socially distance but well and some not wearing masks properly or at all. They finally get fully checked in after 20 minutes due to an error in their reservation. They head to their room. That evening they go to citywalk and eat and also go bowling at the hotel.

Next day, Mr A wakes up he is feeling good. the family goes down to food court. M A youngest child has a slight cough but no one is connecting it with COVID because the child has a chronic cough nor have they been around someone they know with COVID. But since they aren't forced to wear a mask, they decide they won't wear one now but when they get to the park inside the ride buildings they will.

They head to the park and make it to Universal Studios that day. They do all the attractions. Unfortunately due to Universal not enforcing mask standards an issue has arisen due to Mr A family not wearing their masks as much as they should and others who were COVID asymptomatic.

Fast foreward to day 5, Mr A family is showing symptoms of COVID. Due to the fact they didn't wear mask, Universal must find ways to contact every single guest that they possibly infected as well as disinfecting everything. Turns out Mr A lead to an exposure of over 4,000 guests to the virus and of those testing positive, 432 got the virus.

If i'm a company, I'm not going to play that game. The mask will be enforced because the headaches that come afterwards are not worth it to anyone. Strict enforcement of masks and social distancing is a good CYA. Because any investigation by news agencies etc where it is found they did not enforce will have ripple effects for the entire tourism ecosystem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.