Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Emirates Air Line London (Doppelmayer Gondola)

Dec 16, 2015
Surrey, England
On a windy Friday in January I took a trip over to the Emirates Air Line in London's docklands for a lunch-time trip. To be honest, it wasn't that windy at ground level when I left but the rate of knots that the clouds were moving should have been a bigger warning.

This is a 1km gondola line built by Doppelmayer - very similar to what is going in at WDW at the moment so I thought I'd share if people were interested. Note this isn't like the old Skyways bucket. Each cabin is fully enclosed (with opening ventilation), has CCTV (sorry @scott_walker , the gondolas won't be "rockin'") and has an in-flight TV. I can't imagine the Disney version wouldn't have these too.

At 300ft high and 30MPH winds, there was considerable swaying going on but obviously well within the safe operating parameters. I wasn't shaking the camera for added effect ;)

It says the gondola fits 10 people and accepts wheelchairs/mobility scooters up to 300kg (there are markings on the floor regarding sizing). Buggies have to be folded flat. I would say 10 people would be tight, 6 comfortably. It is 3600ft long and has a capacity of 2500 pph each direction.

IMG_20180105_121306.jpg MVIMG_20180105_121450.jpg MVIMG_20180105_122821.jpg

Last edited: