Entrance Statue? | Inside Universal Forums

Entrance Statue?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 31, 2019
Hi, everyone! I am starting an in-depth project covering the history & changes of USH and was very curious about the entrance plaza. I have only been going for a few years, and am specifically curious about the bronze “Filmmakers” statue that’s just past the turnstiles. I cannot find any information about when this was installed, or who made it. I can’t even find an official name for it.

According to maps from at least the early 90s, there used to be a tower structure — almost resembling a flying saucer — roughly where the statue is now. I cannot for the life of me find any photo or video evidence of this structure. Does anyone have any insight or (better yet) photos of what this was or when it was replaced by the current statue? I’ve included a screenshot of the structure from a map below:
8E30C60A-EB72-4489-BF74-281FFA3EBF89.jpeg

I believe the gateway entrance was built in 1996, but the entrance plaza I don't think was redone until a few years later. You can see in this home video from 2000 that the plaza is more or less complete, but the statue isn't built over the fountain yet. I did find that it was there by October of 2002. Looks like it's official title from the sculptor is "Director's Cut". It was a commission done by this company. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I believe the gateway entrance was built in 1996, but the entrance plaza I don't think was redone until a few years later. You can see in this home video from 2000 that the plaza is more or less complete, but the statue isn't built over the fountain yet. I did find that it was there by October of 2002. Looks like it's official title from the sculptor is "Director's Cut". It was a commission done by this company. Hope this helps!
Wow, great finds!! Thank you so much for helping me with this — I was starting to think there wasn’t any footage of the area from then. Thank you for linking the sculpture as well!

Your 1990 map shows that entrance but I believe the entrance was changed to the picture you see above in 1991. The entrance we see today was completed in 1996, along with the universal studios globe and archway. Not sure when the filmmaker sculpture was placed there
Here is the 1991 map

Attachments

• A70EBF7B-FA1D-4309-AFF2-831145DEDF73.jpeg
    A70EBF7B-FA1D-4309-AFF2-831145DEDF73.jpeg
    831.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
In this video from 2000, you see just the fountain with no sculptures and an advertisement for the grinch movie confirming the year.