Epcot announces 30th Anniversary Plans | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot announces 30th Anniversary Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 17, 2009
From Disney Parks Blog:

We know that many of you are as excited as we are to celebrate Epcot’s 30th anniversary here at Walt Disney World Resort on October 1.

In honor of the milestone, the park has lined up a few special offerings for guests who wish to mark this special occasion.
Epcot Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary October 1

Throughout the day on October 1, guests can attend Epcot history presentations in World Showplace courtesy of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club. These presentations are included in park admission and are limited in seating.

1-2 p.m. – Designing the Future – Past and Present: A panel of Disney Imagineers remembers 30 years of building tomorrow!
4:30–6 p.m. – Epcot: How it Changed the World with Marty Sklar
6:30–8 p.m. – Epcot: How it Changed the World with Marty Sklar

Guests can also attend an anniversary moment at the America Gardens Theatre at 3 p.m., which will feature appearances by Disney leaders and include performances by Mariachi Cobre and Voices of Liberty. (Seating for this presentation is also limited.)

That evening, the October 1 presentation of “IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth” will feature a special 30th anniversary tag.

And don’t forget to be on the lookout for special Epcot 30th anniversary merchandise while you’re at the park. Check out Steven’s recent blog post on the selection of T-shirts, hats and other 30th anniversary items that will be available.

Wow reminds me when they had to push Epcot to do a 25th anniversary a couple of years ago and they announced it just a few days before as well.

Kinda ridiculous that they USED to take advantage of these celebrations and now they don't anymore.

In their defense what is their to celebrate?

I only want to see Designing the Future. All there seems to be in attending is novelty. Which seems to be my driving force if I do attend.

Yeah. It is kind of sad that even the official Disney events held at this park are based around what cool stuff they have done rather than what is coming. Test Track is really the only life coming to this park in its near future or even distant at this point with nothing to announce.

Great.

They keep trying to milk the retro EPCOT was so cool. But all they can really do now is just talk about it.

I went to Epcot in 1982 just two weeks after the park opened and I have watched it go downhill for a long time. Yes there we're good years at Epcot..but those years have come and gone. I truly miss Horizons and World of Motion because they were classic Disney dark rides and they could have been easily revamped and still kept that magic. I guess TDO really doesn't care about legacies or following the parks original mission. Otherwise they wouldn't have a graveyard in front of Spaceship Earth. Which I went on just after the.most recent conversion and I didn't like it. Is it me or have they dumbed it down? :shrug:

Oh no doubt at all, EPCOT has changed from a park about discovery, learning, fun, and adventure to a park about treating guests like they are 5. I understand that the majority of people that are visiting on vacation do not want a history lesson, but there is something to be said when there is no one in the park. Not just because of lack of rides, but because of lack of enjoyment. Changing the rides to suit what you believe guests want is not the answer disney, learning what the fans love about the parks is the only way to return everything to its previous glory.

Well, I hate to say it, but a lot of the reason Epcot, and FW in particular, looks old. Is is simply the design of the building exteriors. Epcot's design defined "The '80s".

Am I the only one that actually likes Epcot? It's close to my favorite park. IDK what it is about it. And I'm sure the majority of average tourists will agree that this park is more than satisfactory. And even on non-peak days Epcot get's busy. It remains a must for me to spend a full day at on all of my visits.

If I were to attend, i'd sneak in the 2nd floor of Imagination and stay there til close if lucky, hell we all go up there and party like the 80's!! But Those pesky CM's lol.

Epcot never lost me. I have found that it has some neat stuff. The festivals fit it nicely. The newer attractions are impressive to me despite the fact that the big ones have their inherent problems. I think the biggest problem with Epcot is that it is too BIG. The Living Seas alone would do most moderately large city in the US proud as a public aquarium, yet it is just one of so many things in Epcot. Maximizing profits from it must be an ongoing challenge.