Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 52 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's funny how looking back on it Project Gemini was so reviled by the Disney fan community, but if it had happened the park would probably be waaaaaaaaaaaay better than it is today

There was too many coasters in the plan, IMO. There was no need to replace Spaceship Earth. But a Mt. Fuji coaster? That's something I would love to see in the future.

Last edited:
It was too many coasters in the plan, IMO. There was no need to replace Spaceship Earth. But a Mt. Fuji coaster? That's something I would love to see in the future.
My. Fuji coaster is a plan almost as old as the park itself. Would’ve actually happened sadly if Kodak wasn’t a big sponsor at the time. They said they were walking away if one was made since their competitor was FujiFilm (at the time they were a big company with leverage).

It’ll never happen now in the age of IPs, though.

I'd go in the "Discoveryland" direction.
It's funny how looking back on it Project Gemini was so reviled by the Disney fan community, but if it had happened the park would probably be waaaaaaaaaaaay better than it is today
There was too many coasters in the plan, IMO. There was no need to replace Spaceship Earth. But a Mt. Fuji coaster? That's something I would love to see in the future.

Other than losing Spaceship Earth (which was, is, and will always be a deal-breaker for me in the wake of losing all the other big dark rides in Future World), Gemini would have done enormous good for the park.

Another casualty, like the Disney Decade, of a dramatically scaled-back mindset.

Other than losing Spaceship Earth (which was, is, and will always be a deal-breaker for me in the wake of losing all the other big dark rides in Future World), Gemini would have done enormous good for the park.

Another casualty, like the Disney Decade, of a dramatically scaled-back mindset.

My justification for being fine with Time Racers is I think SSE will never be as good as it was in its 1994 edition again, so I'm fine with moving on.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm actually excited for Epcot's future. There's so much that can be done with the park that just with the few projects that ARE in the works, I feel like it's already moving in the right direction. Yes, lots of IP moving in but for the most part, a lot of the right choices in IP.

Their recent efforts have had a lot of cultural influence and this is when they absolutely nail some of their best work. I more than welcome it if it means having new and refreshed attractions in this park that, as inconsistent as it may be in its current state, many of us do have a real affinity for.

From what I’ve heard, WDI still doesn’t fully know what they’re doing, but they expected this place to be a construction zone by now.

The plans have been constantly delayed as they can’t agree on a vision.

Probably because Disney doesn't even know the meaning of "Future" as Walt did. Actually I really hope they drop the "Future World" name, because it is not anymore. It's more like a "Mix and Match World".

Reactions: HPFred and belloq87
The concept of Future World only works if you decide to update the experiences every so often. Technology evolves at a rapid rate, so should the park.

The one thing I hope we get from this update are buildings that stay relevant and look nice.

My justification for being fine with Time Racers is I think SSE will never be as good as it was in its 1994 edition again, so I'm fine with moving on.

Even in its current form, I just think it's such a special attraction, in the sense that it could only ever belong in Epcot, and it embodies so much of what the park used to be about. To lose it would be to lose a big part of the reason I became a fan of that park.

I don't want to get to the point where I feel about Epcot the way I feel about Universal Studios Florida, where my emotional connection to it has been completely severed and it's "just another theme park." There's nothing wrong with "just another theme park," of course, but it won't be special to me anymore.

I recognize that's a very personal justification, not backed-up by anything other than my own experiences with the park, and I also recognize Disney (and Universal) can't cater just to me.

I'm actually excited for Epcot's future. There's so much that can be done with the park that just with the few projects that ARE in the works, I feel like it's already moving in the right direction. Yes, lots of IP moving in but for the most part, a lot of the right choices in IP.

Their recent efforts have had a lot of cultural influence and this is when they absolutely nail some of their best work. I more than welcome it if it means having new and refreshed attractions in this park that, as inconsistent as it may be in its current state, many of us do have a real affinity for.

I hope you're right. I've always said there's a way to do IP right in Epcot. The Seas, Gran Fiesta Tour, and Ratatouille meet that standard for me; Frozen Ever After and Guardians do not.

I would be very willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if I believed they have a long-term, coherent plan for the park's identity, even if it's an identity that I would think is a step-down from its original thesis.

Probably because Disney doesn't even know the meaning of "Future" as Walt did. Actually I really hope they drop the "Future World" name, because it is not anymore. It's more like a "Mix and Match World".

"Hodge-Podge Land" coming Summer, 2021!

The concept of Future World only works if you decide to update the experiences every so often. Technology evolves at a rapid rate, so should the park.

The one thing I hope we get from this update are buildings that stay relevant and look nice.

I don't think even the most die-hard EPCOT Center enthusiasts would disagree. FW does not have to be - and should not be - locked in stone. There are ways to update things (from attractions themselves, down to architectural and scenic features) without throwing away the park's legacy, though.

I mean Walt’s vision was just “get companies to tell people what’s the future”.

Reactions: Alicia
Even in its current form, I just think it's such a special attraction, in the sense that it could only ever belong in Epcot, and it embodies so much of what the park used to be about. To lose it would be to lose a big part of the reason I became a fan of that park.

I don't want to get to the point where I feel about Epcot the way I feel about Universal Studios Florida, where my emotional connection to it has been completely severed and it's "just another theme park."

See, that moment has come and gone for me.Epcot is meaningless without JII, Horizons, Maelstrom, Kitchen Kabaret, etc. But I get what you're saying

Yea, as long as FW is made more green, anything is an upgrade IMO.

The only thing that would probably ever get me really excited in Epcot would be Imagination returning to something even 1/2 way resembling the original pavilion though. I will probably never get over that one.
I have to agree with you. Figment is the most under used character... Even when he was the one and only Character in EPCOT Center (not Epcot). It drives me nuts how sucha likeable character gets the crappy treatment. Journey Into Imagination should always be the visually jaw dropping attraction in all WDW, I mean, it's Imagination and sky is the limit..... Disney rather have numbers than product pride, like Walt did. When was the last time you saw Bobby talking to Mickey Mouse (literally) step by step about the magical adventure this new attraction will bring... Never! He only interested in the number of people passing through the entrance gates, anything after those gates is secondary, and it shows. At least thanks to UO speed, now there's a crane in every corner of WDW, but their mentality still the same "buy the world, and claim it as yours". If I was Figment, I would've applied for job at UO long time ago.

Reactions: HPFred
See, that moment has come and gone for me.Epcot is meaningless without JII, Horizons, Maelstrom, Kitchen Kabaret, etc. But I get what you're saying
The way you guys are talking about Epcot (and most fans do) is such a small window in time where the park was great. From 82-92 pretty much were Epcot’s best years, but around ‘89-91 was when the park was at it’s absolute peak, imo.

That’s only 10 years of the parks lifespan for a park about the future (which is always advancing). They destroyed EPCOT Center in the mid-90s and early 2000’s and have never really had a true vision for replacing attractions literally EVER in the park’s history.

The park opened strong, but they’ve never known what to do with it since.

I'm still hanging on! For at least a little while longer, anyway! :lol:

I have to agree with you. Figment is the most under used character... Even when he was the one and only Character in EPCOT Center (not Epcot). It drives me nuts how sucha likeable character gets the crappy treatment. Journey Into Imagination should always be the visually jaw dropping attraction in all WDW, I mean, it's Imagination and sky is the limit..... Disney rather have numbers than product pride, like Walt did. When was the last time you saw Bobby talking to Mickey Mouse (literally) step by step about the magical adventure this new attraction will bring... Never! He only interested in the number of people passing through the entrance gates, anything after those gates is secondary, and it shows. At least thanks to UO speed, now there's a crane in every corner of WDW, but their mentality still the same "buy the world, and claim it as yours". If I was Figment, I would've applied for job at UO long time ago.

The curious thing is, Figment must move a good amount of merchandise, because he's become basically the Festivals mascot. If a person was a collector, there's never been a better time to be a fan of Figment, because he's on everything.

You would think - with merch being apparently so important to Disney's attraction decision making - they would be inclined to want him to be featured in a better attraction than he currently is.

The baffling thing, to me, is that it's not like Figment is some forgotten thing they try to brush under the rug. He's still plastered over all the merchandise in the park!

The way you guys are talking about Epcot (and most fans do) is such a small window in time where the park was great. From 82-92 pretty much were Epcot’s best years, but around ‘89-91 was when the park was at it’s absolute peak, imo.

No doubt. It was a very, very short amount of time.

The curious thing is, Figment must move a good amount of merchandise, because he's become basically the Festivals mascot. If a person was a collector, there's never been a better time to be a fan of Figment, because he's on everything.

You would think - with merch being apparently so important to Disney's attraction decision making - they would be inclined to want him to be featured in a better attraction than he currently is.

Yes to all of this. It's so weird.