Epcot (General Discussion) | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

Epcot (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's not closed-minded, it's reality. If people aren't interested in something when it's easily obtained, they're not going to be more interested the harder you make it. This isn't rocket science.

So you’re saying if people are shown something new and interesting they won’t be entertained or informed by it? That’s like...the antithesis of human nature but okay.

People on here pretending that Epcot isn’t like the 8th most visited theme park in the world for the past 35 years or something

So you’re saying if people are shown something new and interesting they won’t be entertained or informed by it? That’s like...the antithesis of human nature but okay.

People on here pretending that Epcot isn’t like the 8th most visited theme park in the world for the past 35 years or something
No, people are pretending edutainment is the reason for it.

It's doing neither. It hasng been a factor in the park for more than a decade, arguably two.
I agree here. Epcot may still have some things that provide edutainment, but the last area that opened within Epcot that held close to that theme and had edutainment as it's actual goal was Wonders of Life... all the way back in 1989. I guess you could make the case for Mission: Space too, but even then, that's two attractions max in the past 30 years.

Reactions: RevFreako
I agree here. Epcot may still have some things that provide edutainment, but the last area that opened within Epcot that held close to that theme and had edutainment as it's actual goal was Wonders of Life... all the way back in 1989. I guess you could make the case for Mission: Space too, but even then, that's two attractions max in the past 30 years.

I mean, I'm also not disagreeing with that? but in that case it definitely hasn't been"holding Epcot back" like what's being discussed

I mean, I'm also not disagreeing with that? but in that case it definitely hasn't been"holding Epcot back" like what's being discussed
The only thing holding Epcot back is lack of investment. Seems they've finally committed to putting billions into the park now. Purists may not like the direction it's headed in, but honestly, i'm just glad Epcot is finally seeing the WoL Pavilion being put back into use and the park is actually getting new rides.

The only attractions that I would personally hate to see go from the park are SSE, Living with the Land, American Adventure and Figment (the actual pavilion needs an update, but the character needs to stay).

The only thing holding Epcot back is lack of investment. Seems they've finally committed to putting billions into the park now. Purists may not like the direction it's headed in, but honestly, i'm just glad Epcot is finally seeing the WoL Pavilion being put back into use and the park is actually getting new rides.

The only things for me that I would hate to see go from the park are SSE, Living with the Land, American Adventure and Figment (the actual pavilion needs an update, but the character needs to stay).

I'm also not disagreeing with any of this. Basically I was just disagreeing with the idea that they absolutely could not build a successful park today in a similar vein as EPCOT Center.

Epcot getting help as great, even if Disney is draping EPCOT Center's corpse over it to try and make it palatable to fans

I think the original Test Track would make that case also.

I'm also not disagreeing with any of this. Basically I was just disagreeing with the idea that they absolutely could not build a successful park today in a similar vein as EPCOT Center.

Epcot getting help as great, even if Disney is draping EPCOT Center's corpse over it to try and make it palatable to fans
Oh, I wasn't saying you were. And while I don't think they 'absolutely could not', it would certainly be harder today than it was in 1982.

While I agree Disney leans too much on nostalgia to try to make fans forget that they've forever changed Epcot, using some parts of Epcot's Corpse is fine. The spine redo is a good example imo. The new entrance is very much like it looked at opening in 1982 - simplistic beauty. It's not a ride, but it's better than the cemetery/concrete wasteland that currently exists.

Reactions: RevFreako
While I agree Disney leans too much on nostalgia to try to make fans forget that they've forever changed Epcot, using some parts of Epcot's Corpse is fine. The spine redo is a good example imo. The new entrance is very much like it looked at opening in 1982 - simplistic beauty. It's not a ride, but it's better than the cemetery/concrete wasteland that currently exists.

Agreed. I was more talking about them trotting out EPCOT Center's logo as the logo for the redesign. Or how they trot Figment out on every piece of festival merch while the ride is still a laughable imitation of its former self. Those kind of half-hearted cash grabs are what annoys me.

Agreed. I was more talking about them trotting out EPCOT Center's logo as the logo for the redesign. Or how they trot Figment out on every piece of festival merch while the ride is still a laughable imitation of its former self. Those kind of half-hearted cash grabs are what annoys me.
And the sad thing is, there's still not even any rumors of anything happening to JII and with SSE going down for 2-3 years and GotG and Play not opening until 2021, you can bet nothing will happen with it until sometime after Epcot's 40th.

And it seems WDI can't even agree on a vision for the pavilion when they do talk about it from what's been said, which makes it even worse.

Here's your new Festival Pavilion:
y097BbC.png

In case you're wondering where the actual location of that building will be is, it will be built where the pond is that's next to Imagination. This one:
efg.jpg

Supposedly there will be one on each side, as Oddyssey isn’t nearly as big as WoL. Martin has confirmed the location and it’s use.
Yea, the Odyssey is good for one large food/drink booth and either seminars -or merchandise, but not both. They could use another one with space dedicated for seminars/workshops still.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Thinking/hoping that was a placeholder until it's actually designed/approved/ready to release to public.
From what’s being said, most of that is a placeholder.... notice the trees where Innoventions would otherwise be (in the concept art for the new entry area). That’s because they still don’t full know what the final plan they will choose for the areabesides bulldozing it.