Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

Counter-argument (knowing zero insider details and having doubts Mouse would pay for this): if you're going to overhaul these pavilions, probably easier to start fresh than try to maintain and work around structures that were built in the late 70s and have stood in Florida heat and humidity ever since. The usual reasons for leaving one wall standing--zoning exemptions and the like--just don't apply when you run your own government.

Totally agreed! I meant more in the way of re-theming or updating, I guess; not unlike the Finding Nemo refresh.

I just have a hard time seeing them do away with the Seas. I’m sure relocating all that wildlife would be a pain in the tookas and very, very expensive.

The one thing about rumors is that they tend to not be very accurate. They all have inconsistencies or general details that leave people with questions. With that said...

I don't think they will demolish The Land. An overhaul/update, yes. But an entire demo is a no from me. I would love for it to be demo'd, but from a business perspective it is not worth the hassle. On the other hand, I can see them demo the Seas for a hotel that is tied to a new pavilion/land.

The odd thing is that The Land is clearly the most “whole” of all the pavilions currently, so it would be odd to just go in with the ‘dozers.

If you look at it thru non-fan eyes, tho ... how incongruous is a boat ride thru a functioning greenhouse in a park (soon to be) filled with IP-based rides? It only makes sense as a nostalgia fix for an EPCOT that no longer is.

Something I saw on DisTwitter yesterday, can't remember who--"you can't have an open casket funeral forever." Living with the Land is as much an outdated relic of another era as the Leave A Legacy tombstones. Take that out, can put character dining and a new QSR anywhere.

No idea if this particular rumor true or not--but assuming Mickey has the cash, these being gone by 2026 seems a safe bet.

If you look at it thru non-fan eyes, tho ... how incongruous is a boat ride thru a functioning greenhouse in a park (soon to be) filled with IP-based rides? It only makes sense as a nostalgia fix for an EPCOT that no longer is.

Something I saw on DisTwitter yesterday, can't remember who--"you can't have an open casket funeral forever." Living with the Land is as much an outdated relic of another era as the Leave A Legacy tombstones. Take that out, can put character dining and a new QSR anywhere.

No idea if this particular rumor true or not--but assuming Mickey has the cash, these being gone by 2026 seems a safe bet.
They do make money from the Behind the Seeds tour, and people that do it really enjoy it though.

They do make money from the Behind the Seeds tour, and people that do it really enjoy it though.
Count me on that list. We did the tour last year and really enjoyed it. You do realize that the farm there does yield a good amount of produce that is used in the resort. I agree that The Seas has lost some of its allure from the early Epcot days, but maybe they could find a better way of presenting it.

Disney's promising further information about Epcot's future at D23...

Epcot updates coming to D23 Expo 2019 | Disney Parks Blog

I would be heartened by the emphasis on "What makes Epcot, Epcot" if I didn't see it as so utterly disingenuous. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, and at D23 they'll finally articulate a coherent vision for the park that remains in the spirit of what it's supposed to be, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, the pointed references to The Land and The Seas reads like a bit of thinly-veiled shooting-down of the recent rumors about the pavilions' planned demise.

The timing of it was certainly conspicuous. The rumor comes out, gains enough traction that official Disney Twitter channels respond to it, and then the next day Disney goes out of their way to highlight the pavilions in a blog post that really only serves to tee up future announcements that aren't even coming for a couple months.

The timing of it was certainly conspicuous. The rumor comes out, gains enough traction that official Disney Twitter channels respond to it, and then the next day Disney goes out of their way to highlight the pavilions in a blog post that really only serves to tee up future announcements that aren't even coming for a couple months.
Or, a press release is being formed for later in the week, and a little of it trickles out, which actually triggers the rumor in the first place.

I had heard it reported that it was going to be taking them all summer just to get that first side removed, but clearly that's inaccurate. Good to see the moving expeditiously.

I’d argue the “green house” and the ride itself fits well into their overall culinary theme they push with the multiple festivals and world showcase restaurants.

Maybe for walls to come down is what they meant?

Perhaps, if what was also meant was walls for both sides being down by the end of the summer. I can't see why the walls for only one side would still need to be up in three months given how quickly the tombstones have started to be ushered offstage.