Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

A lot of people are always complaining about IPs in Epcot. But here’s the thing. Does it really matter in the end of the day? I think what’s most important are the quality of the attractions. People seem to think that having an attraction without an IP automatically makes it a good ride. There’s been so many horrible attractions in Disney(and various other parks)without an IP. Would it be nice if there was some variety? Sure. But to constantly bash an attraction solely for an IP attached isn’t fair. Guardians at Cali is a great example of this. Moana is a great example of lazy IP attachment to Epcot. But if it’s done right what’s the problem? That’s just my take on the whole “IPCOT” argument.

Here's how I rank my excitement for the various Epcot projects:

1. Ratatouille
2. Cherry Tree Lane (provided there’s actually something worthwhile to do there)
3. Canada: Far and Wide
4. Wondrous China
5. Awesome Planet
6. Epcot Forever
7. New Landscaping and Features in World Celebration and World Nature (including Journey of Water and the Festival Center)
8. Spaceship Earth Update (fingers crossed they do it well, but not banking on that)
9. Space 220
10. Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
11. HarmonioUS

But if it’s done right what’s the problem?

I mean, "if it's done right" is exactly correct. There are ways to use IP in Epcot that could work very well. Disney just needs to put in the effort. They didn't on Frozen, and they don't appear to be on Guardians. On the other hand, Ratatouille and Mary Poppins feel like quite solid fits for where they're being placed.

International Gateway will be the next entrance to have it's new entrance/security in place. I'd expect they want this done by the time the Skyliner opens.

Widened walkway open:

Progress on New Restrooms:

Entrance work:

Last edited:
I'm going to miss the music more than anything else. In that entire spine area, really. I expect whatever the new loop ends up being will be considerably more generic.
I expect them to go full Disney - the inspirational music will be done with. Don't forget you're going to be able to turn right - directly into a Moana area almost as soon as you pass Spaceship Earth.

I'm amused this is still going on, mostly because people are still thinking of Future World West/East. Imagination is in Celebration. The featured attractions of World Nature is: The Land, The Seas, Journey to Water

EpcotNeighborhoodMap1.jpg

2019D23ExpoWorldNature1.jpg

The more I think about it, I get the idea, although the naming is clumsy. This is very much reminding me of science museums, which is a good thing, except the obvious fact that there's less edutainment than before.

What @JungleSkip said is dead-on, and I'm amused people are freaking out. They attach themselves so loyally to what amounts to a rotting corpse, and can't really take anything more than a literal rebirth of an outdated, outmoded ideal and facility. This is at least fresh, but it's only a start. There are still several issues to fix and it doesn't just amount to some new movies and a totally redone Future World. The Mary Poppins Cherry Tree Lane is cute, but if the ride is indeed what we've heard, it'll be a belly flop in the long run. Imagination and The Seas DESPERATELY need updating. The good news is that this is a multi-phase, multi-year plan. So there could indeed be more coming, and I hope so. If we get some updates to Imagination especially, I think the balance will finally start nearing restored. Play! is a concept for sure, but it's one that can be very clearly switched in and out. The SSE rehab sounds solid, and amounts to mostly what I imagined we'd get.

I think that at the very least, bringing back the logos is a way of bringing consistency back in some way. Once again, this is a good start, but can not and should not be the final vision.
I couldn't disagree more. Is Epcot, as it sits, outdated and stale? Yes. But is absolutely dumbing down the place the only option? No.

Does the National Air and Space Museum need to continually update their offerings? Yes. Does that mean they should just turn the place over to Cartoon Network? :thud:

Great way to put it.
It would be if Epcot was a museum. I get that he was just doing a comparison, but my point is Epcot is updating to what guests want just as the National Air and Space Museum does. Both are updating for their target audience. Any of you guys can not like that and have your own opinion, but for me, I don't mind a subtle Moana *fountain*. It's not the end of the world. Talk to me once they've taken out Figment and replaced it with some IP as i'll have a pretty serious problem if that happens since it can and should be updated and Figment is a beloved character as is.

The 80's are gone, despite what HHN tells you. Epcot has been dead for nearly 30 years and y'all still don't want to see it change.

You hate to see it.

Last edited:
It would be if Epcot was a museum. I get that he was just doing a comparison, but my point is Epcot is updating to what guests want just as the National Air and Space Museum does. Both are updating for their target audience. Any of you guys can not like that and have your own opinion, but for me, I don't mind a subtle Moana *fountain*. It's not the end of the world.

The 80's are gone, despite what HHN tells you. Epcot has been dead for nearly 30 years and y'all still don't want to see it change.

You hate to see it.
You are right. EPCOT Center was my favourit theme park in the world in 1985. I loved it more than Magic Kingdom.
But it's old and tired for a very long time. Every update has been a downgrade thought up by an old guy who tries to be hip (at least that is how it feels).
I don't want EPCOT Center back, as a theme it doesn't work as Disney has proven.
What I am bothered by is that they don't leave Epcot behind and do something completely different. Epcot is better of if they would make a super hero land (and yes Figment is a super hero and uses his imagination to fool the newly invented villain in his new ride), a villains land (with a castle) a Star Wars land (with movie locations) and a Pixar land. It would be pure fantasy and there is no need to cram something "educational" in there because people don't care for that on their vacation. We now have access to the latest newest invention via YouTube. Even the real world fairs don't do great because it has no use anymore.
To hold on, half ass, to the educational crap makes the future park bad.

I would make World showcase a separate (cheap) ticked park with added rides that downplay the whole World Showcase part but fill it with ip rides. A train could connect that park with the parking lot.