Eulogies for Jaws | Inside Universal Forums

Eulogies for Jaws

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jakemeister

V.I.P. Member
Feb 1, 2008
Central, Fl
I decided to make a Eulogies for Jaws thread. This thread is literally for discussing Jaws, nothing else. No Potter, no Transformers, nothing. Write your favorite memories of Jaws, eulogies, etc.

As well Tweet your eulogies at us as long as they are 140 characters or less and they might get retweeted. Some of the shorter eulogies will probably be posted on Twitter as well.

Twitter@Orlando_United

Don't forget to use the hashtag "[HASHTAG]#Jaws[/HASHTAG]" when talking about the former attraction and we have a better chance of making Jaws trend on Orlando Trends!

As well you can post them on our Facebook Wall
http://www.facebook.com/OrlandoUnited

Send them in guys.

• Sad
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Ode to JAWS:

You terrified us, you thrilled us, at times you made our eyes roll. Your fire kept us warm on cold winter days, and burned us on hot summer nights. Your skippers made us laugh, made us cheer, and sometimes were so cheesy we needed a beer. Your queue was cooky but in October it became spooky.

Call off the Marines because, this time you are not coming home.

Personally, Jaws means a lot to me. Not just as an attraction but what it represents and what's been built around it.

2009 was my first year scaring and naturally I got put in the most hellacious house location; The Jaws Que. You can say what you will about Saw, I've heard all of it. Short of being a skipper though I don't think anyone will truly understand what Jaws has done for me.

I couldn't have asked for a better cast, a cast who has evolved in to friends. I met about 5 really good friends through that house, that I still converse with on a semi-regular basis. Out of those 5 friends I've met more friends, meeting their friends and the likes. One of my friends in high school was in Saw with me and I can honestly we're best friends now and that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

I'll miss Bruce, I'll miss the ride, but those are all after thoughts compared to my time in Jaws Que haunted house location. Everyone ScareActor who has worked that house needs to wear it like a badge of honor. That was one of the hardest locations to work in and we conquered it. No other years of Horror Night Actors will be able to say they faced the Jaws Que and slayed it so valiantly.

OOOOOOOhhhhhhh PIGFACE

I don't want to say goodbye. I can't remember the first time I went on the ride, but I do remember I was terrified of going on it . The shark plus the flames were enough to put a young tot like me runnning for the hills. I remember watching the old video with John Forsythe and seeing the flames from the Jaws ride in the vid. I thought the boat actually would sail right into the flames and burn up. I remember the old ads with the shark eating up the boat, I thought that was really going to happen. It all seemed larger than life to me. I was terrified, but somehow I did eventually go on it and a love affair was born.

I made sure to ride Jaws numerous times whenever I would go to USF (one day I actually rode it 14 times!!!!), I memorized the Skipper spiel (one of my dreams was to be a Jaws Skipper one day, was going to apply sometime this year for a position) and still act it out in my home today. If I had to choose my favorite lines they would have to be: "Wait...you mean these things are actually loaded???" and "WE'RE THE BEST and only scenic cruise on the island". My favorite scene? Hard to say honestly, the whole ride is just tops!!!! I'm going with Amity 3's wreck/the first fin.

One of the things that kept me coming back was the theming, not just of the ride but of the whole Amity area as well. Once I step under the Amity 4th of July Celebration banner it's like I am actually in the REAL Amity Island. From the boardwalk games (Amity is the only area where the games actually fit into the established theme), to the little shops, to Nathans, to Captain Jake's Town Square....everything fits perfectly into the area. I always enjoyed getting to soak up the atmosphere of Amity while I was in the area, of the town and of Amity Boat Tours queue line as well (YES, there is tons of theming in the queue itself, tons of little knick-knacks in the waiting line that are fun to look at), the WJWS Hey There Amity video also helped to firmly establish the storyline of the ride (if you actually take the time to watch it). I still stand by my statement that Amity was the best themed area in USF, and it's sad that we are losing it.

As you can imagine, I was shell shocked to learn that Captain Jake's/ Jaws would be closing down forever. At first I thought it was some kind of sick joke (I first heard about it on the official Jaws Facebook page), after Universal made the announcement the reality of the situation first started to set in. I felt sick. On the 3rd of December I created my own Jaws Fan Forever T-shirt and ran to USF to catch what would end up becoming my final tours around Amity Island. I said a personal goodbye to the Bruce Photo-op that night and went home and cried. A part of my childhood and a ride that helped to inspire me would soon be gone forever.

I would end up becoming a part of what some people called Captain Jake's Army. I wrote to Universal (and received what was essentially a copy-and-pasted response), posted numerous things about the ride's closure and encouraged people to fight on Twitter and Facebook, I signed petitions...in short, I fought for a good 30 days. Naturally, my efforts were in vain... Jaws would still met its end. Now, all I can hope for is for Uni. to salvage some ride props, hopefully place the Bruce Photo-op somewhere else in the park.

I used to have vivid dreams about the Jaws ride, that's how much the ride had imprinted itself on my psyche. I must have had at least 5 dreams about it, probably more. I hope I will continue to dream about it, that way I can continue to take Boat Tours even while the ride is gone. I will miss the Jaws ride and Amity Island very much, and will probably think about them every time I pass by their replacement. The memories that were made for me there will last a lifetime, I know I will never forget them. So, sail into the sunset Captain Jake's and Jaws....You were the BEST and only scenic cruise on the Island and I Love You. CHOMP CHOMP

Last edited:
I love this ride and will miss it dearly. I'm truly saddened I won't be able to share it with my future children. I'll miss ya Bruce. Anybody that knows me knows how much this ride and the film has affected me. It's a great loss.

Jaws is a case of not knowing what you had til it's gone for me. I loved the ride, I really did. But I didn't always appreciate it. It was one of those things where it wasn't a must ride all the time because there will always be next time. I thought it was going to be years before we had to say goodbye. But all good things must come to an end. I just wish I had one more chance to take a good amount of time and experience the whole island one more time.

Me and my little brother always loved riding this ride I remeber the first time I rode it it scared the living crap out of me but I loved it!!! my last ride on it was back in 2010 I wish my Grandma could've riden it shes never been to Universal & shes going with me & my family in May, she was actually excited to ride this but sadly she wont get to ride it i'll miss this ride alot r.i.p Jaws you were such a good ride :'(

Jaws is a case of not knowing what you had til it's gone for me. I loved the ride, I really did. But I didn't always appreciate it. It was one of those things where it wasn't a must ride all the time because there will always be next time. I thought it was going to be years before we had to say goodbye. But all good things must come to an end. I just wish I had one more chance to take a good amount of time and experience the whole island one more time.
Exactly! I would add that I always said I don't feel like getting wet, maybe when it's warmer...
Luckily I just happened to ride it when I was there for HHNs. Wish they would have given more notice I would have liked to spend a couple of hours getting pictures and a last ride.

Exactly! I would add that I always said I don't feel like getting wet, maybe when it's warmer...
Luckily I just happened to ride it when I was there for HHNs. Wish they would have given more notice I would have liked to spend a couple of hours getting pictures and a last ride.

I kinda felt the same way about getting wet. I almost didn't go on it this year. My last trip was in July. The rest of my family didn't want to go on, but I pressed on it and a few of us did. I'm so glad that I did.

It makes me sad to think this day has finally come. we've known about it for over a month yet it seemed like it would never come. My feelings are similar to those when BTTF closed. Although BTTF saddened me more It still sucks to think such a classic attraction such as Jaws has made its final swim.

My first visit to Universal Studios Florida was in 1993. I still can recall the commercials that would run on Nickelodian that featured the Jaws ride and thinking to myself that looks so much cooler then the small part of the studio tour in Hollywood. When it finally came time to ride it as a child I was blown away. It was so unique. So real. It was incredible. An instant classic. The image of seeing the burned and dead Shark at the end that I saw thru my child eyes is one that has never left me.

In 2009 I returned to Universal Studios. And Jaws was a ride I looked forward to as it was one of the few classics left since my first visit 16 years earlier. I don't know what it was but it seemed like I left the ride somewhat dissapointed. I think I had all the odds against us that day though. Miserable heat and humidity for October, a 35 minute wait, a sub par skipper, and a beat up and worn out ride at the time just left a sour taist in my mouth. What made it worse was my wife and our friends walked off the ride in disgust saying it was the worst ride of the trip and a waist of time. Something that sucked to hear after hyping it up to them so much as I truely looked so forward to it.

After hearing about how incredible Jaws could be at night I made it a point that next year when we returned in 2010 to ride it after night fall. We were with a different group of first timers this time and although my wife didn't care to go on it again she decided to. Our night ride took place during HHN XX and WOW. What a night and day experiance from our ride the year prior. We litterally had no wait for the ride and we pretty much had the boat to our selves. We had an amazing experiance on this ride. The skipper was amazing and all the effects worked perfectly. This ride was a different beast at night bringing a whole new level to the ride. It was eery, It was creapy, It was scary. You had no clue where the shark was coming from. The boathouse at night was scarier then some of the HHN houses. I am so glad that I can claim this experiance as my final ride on Jaws. My wife even walked off the ride with her opinion changed of the ride.

So now we bid farewell to that Great Shark. Its also sad that we will say goodbye to Amity as well. Although the carnival games were corney. The TMs that worked them had us rolling after our final ride at HHN XX. Amity was truely ahead of its time being (correct me if i'm wrong) the first "Land" themed to an entire movie franchise and anchored by a signature attraction. This idea that was concieved in 1990 has now lead to such incredible experiance such as the Wizarding World, Jurassic Park, Carsland, and the upcoming Avatar Land.

I really wish now I would have taken more photos of the Amity area. But I didn't. And so I will leave you with what few photos I have taken of the area. Goodbye Jaws. You will be missed.

Day320.jpg

Day433.jpg

Day434.jpg

Day2UniversalStudiosFlorida34.jpg

Day2UniversalStudiosFlorida38.jpg

Day2UniversalStudiosFlorida36.jpg

Day2UniversalStudiosFlorida37.jpg

Day431.jpg

I don't want to get in too deep with my sentiments but JAWS was like a best buddy ever since we first visited in 98. I have become more and more fascinated with how it worked and the behind the scenes aspects over the years. I think many overlook the true genius that went into the ride, not just the sharks but all the smaller aspects; the falling chum in the boathouse, the rolling fog, the wall of fire, compressed air and so on. One thing I am going to miss is the smells, sounds and sights of Amity. It was such a huge part of my childhood, as was Kong. It may be gone from the park but it lives on eternally. See you in Japan, Bruce.

[video=youtube;1NRaHlTDmcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NRaHlTDmcI[/video]

[video=youtube;mwlKgc-aiw4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwlKgc-aiw4[/video]

:':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

Words cannot describe my feeling towards this ride. I will always remember riding it as a child and being terrified that the shark was not only within the water in Amity but any body of water on the property. I have grown up with this attraction, I was there for opening, for overhaul, and obviously the version we see or excuse me saw in that video above. Jaws is my all time favorite Horror movie and in my eyes the world's # 1 horror movie. I mean how many people get into the ocean and at one point or another don't think about Jaws.

Of all the major attractions I have seen come and go over the years which by the way is a list in itself. This one hurts the most. And while I am sad to see it go, I will never forget Jaws the ride and can't wait for the day to tell my kids about it. I will always cherish the memories I have of it and regardless of what replaces it Jaws will always be the BEST!

RIP BRUCE!