Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fantastic Beasts - Crimes of Grindelwald

This movie was horrendous and has completely disinterested me from this franchise. And this is coming from a huge fan of Harry Potter and as someone who quite enjoyed the first film.

I’m convinced that Grindelwald is lying about Credence being a Dumbledore. It doesn’t make any sense. Why would this never have been mentioned before in any of the HP books? Also, we already know that Grindelwald will say what ever he has to to get someone on his side.

Last edited:
I loved the movie start to finish. I thought it was dark (both in tone and cinematography). I truly believe these films are made for the outsiders and not the mainstream public.

With this having the lowest domestic opening for a Wizarding World movie, I have a hunch some WB execs are going to have some discussions with JK over whether or not they can commit to three more movies. It doesn't matter how healthy the overseas box office is when you're barely going to make your production budget in the US; you're not going to get the numbers you want.

I’m convinced that Grindelwald is lying about Credence being a Dumbledore. It doesn’t make any sense. Why would this never have been mentioned before in any of the HP books? Also, we already know that Grindelwald will say what ever he has to to get someone on his side.

You don't drop a bomb like that just to walk it back the next movie, "just kidding!"

Especially when the movie has a largely unnecessary scene that reminds us ...

Albus has a sister whom he didn't "love enough." No mention of his brother. Not sure if Credence is a transmorgified version of the sister or her son or what, but that scene makes it pretty clear she's the key to the story.

In general, this movie is definitely polarizing. Anecdotally, it seems to me Millennials who grew up with the books are far less forgiving of it than those of use who read the books as adults. I have to believe this reflects a disillusionment with JK Rowling in general, if not society itself. The number of fans who want to quibble whether a certain cameo character should be old enough to be a teacher seems an unreasonable standard to judge when you remember the original books have time-turner-sized plot holes.

You don't drop a bomb like that just to walk it back the next movie, "just kidding!"

Albus has a sister whom he didn't "love enough." No mention of his brother. Not sure if Credence is a transmorgified version of the sister or her son or what, but that scene makes it pretty clear she's the key to the story.

Based on what we do know, Creedence was born after both Dumbledore parents were dead.... so IDK

In general, this movie is definitely polarizing. Anecdotally, it seems to me Millennials who grew up with the books are far less forgiving of it than those of use who read the books as adults. I have to believe this reflects a disillusionment with JK Rowling in general, if not society itself. The number of fans who want to quibble whether a certain cameo character should be old enough to be a teacher seems an unreasonable standard to judge when you remember the original books have time-turner-sized plot holes.

The problem isn't the age. The problem is she wasn't born yet. :lol:

With this having the lowest domestic opening for a Wizarding World movie, I have a hunch some WB execs are going to have some discussions with JK over whether or not they can commit to three more movies. It doesn't matter how healthy the overseas box office is when you're barely going to make your production budget in the US; you're not going to get the numbers you want.

the conspiracy theories about JK Rowling that are coming out after this movie are so hilarious :lol:
some people seemed convinced that she never actually wrote the original books and that someone else did
(or that she stole the ideas from someone else :lmao: ) this is getting nuts.

this movie is destroying some of the potter fandom lol.

the conspiracy theories about JK Rowling that are coming out after this movie are so hilarious :lol:
some people seemed convinced that she never actually wrote the original books and that someone else did
(or that she stole the ideas from someone else :lmao: ) this is getting nuts.

this movie is destroying some of the potter fandom lol.

Potter fans have been spoiled so far. They've never had their "Star Wars Holiday Special" or prequels.

Now they do. This is their Phantom Menace.

If Potter fans are going to become as insufferable as Star Wars fans, then leave room in the theater for those of us still enjoying them.

I think the biggest problem that these movies have is they aren't really open to new demographics.

These are much more adult-oriented movies than the Harry Potter books/movies. It's not really that they're much darker per se, it's that the original movies followed children through their school years. These FB movies follow a group of adults in a darker plot related to past events.

Just looking at the demographic splits for the movie, it's pretty clear that parents with children avoided this (and perhaps chose Grinch instead). That doesn't bode well for legs since it's just really going to appeal to millennials who were Harry Potter book lovers 10-20 years ago. That's not really a great recipe for success for a franchise like this.

I think JK should have just made a new "Harry Potter" set at Ilvermorny with a young American (could've focused on a female this time) going through school years there. Set it in the future away from the HP events and give it a 5 book series with 5+ movies later. That would've really been a chance at a second HP franchise.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem that these movies have is they aren't really open to new demographics.

These are much more adult-oriented movies than the Harry Potter books/movies. It's not really that they're much darker per se, it's that the original movies followed children through their school years. These FB movies follow a group of adults in a darker plot related to past events.

Just looking at the demographic splits for the movie, it's pretty clear that parents with children avoided this (and perhaps chose Grinch instead). That doesn't bode well for legs since it's just really going to appeal to millennials who were Harry Potter book lovers 10-20 years ago. That's not really a great recipe for success for a franchise like this.

I think JK should have just made a new "Harry Potter" set at Ilvermorny with a young American (could've focused on a female this time) going through school years there. Set it in the future away from the HP events and give it a 5 book series with 5+ movies later. That would've really been a chance at a second HP franchise.

I think if they had gone straight "Fantastic Beasts", it would have been fine. The problem is they folded in Wizarding Wars and enslaving humans.

Making a series about cute magical creatures and adventure would have been a winner.