Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (movie) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (movie)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So I assume most hard-core fans are in a theater right now ... minor spoilers ahead ...

Really enjoyed it. It helps Rowling and Yates to not be tied down with child actors or largely confined to one school location. The inevitable menagerie scene goes on way too long, and if you haven't read the Pottermore site the history of magic in the US might be a bit too much to follow, but I forgive things like that because this is clearly intended as a movie for fans.

The two sidekicks, Jacob and Queenie, steal the movie. Queenie probably enters the canon of "Nerd Dream Girls" right behind Slave Leia.

More spoiler heavy thoughts ...

A more bittersweet ending for a Potter movie than I anticipated. While nothing inappropriate for kids--well, the execution chamber was legit terrifying--does show this is more of an adult movie.

Not sure I see the point in the Depp reveal, I just assumed Graves would be Grindlewald's Darth Vader going forward. Does put a twist on earlier scenes. Was that a tinge of jealousy when he asked about Dumbledore's interest in Newt?

Probably coincidence but the second half of the movie centers around Macys, the subway entrance in front of the NY Library and a bar--all three can be found within a couple hundred feet of one another in Universal Orlando.

4 out of 5, solid movie that had some generic blockbuster stuff at the end but there was emotion tied to it so it worked. Personally it's a 5 out of 5 cuz I'm a nerd.

The two sidekicks, Jacob and Queenie, steal the movie. Queenie probably enters the canon of "Nerd Dream Girls" right behind Slave Leia.

Except one is empowered and proactive while the other is in chains and a bikini.

A more bittersweet ending for a Potter movie than I anticipated. While nothing inappropriate for kids--well, the execution chamber was legit terrifying--does show this is more of an adult movie.

Not sure I see the point in the Depp reveal, I just assumed Graves would be Grindlewald's Darth Vader going forward. Does put a twist on earlier scenes. Was that a tinge of jealousy when he asked about Dumbledore's interest in Newt?

Probably coincidence but the second half of the movie centers around Macys, the subway entrance in front of the NY Library and a bar--all three can be found within a couple hundred feet of one another in Universal Orlando.

That execution chamber was insane, couldn't believe the other witches who were like "it'll be painless" or something. So I guess the execution chamber is a giant pensive that then consumes you as you remember your past?

If they didn't announce Depp as Grindelwald I'd have flipped at that reveal not just because it was Depp but because we wouldn't have been on that path mentally. Note the parallels between Sorcerer/Philosopher Stone reveal and this reveal; one sort of semi-menacing antagonist revealed to physically be the main bad guy. And I bet if I rewatch I'll pick up more like the jealousy.

I honestly have no idea if this is going to come to theme parks but I'd rather it not replace Mummy or an existing attraction...

Does put a twist on earlier scenes. Was that a tinge of jealousy when he asked about Dumbledore's interest in Newt?

This just blew my mind.

4 out of 5, solid movie that had some generic blockbuster stuff at the end but there was emotion tied to it so it worked. Personally it's a 5 out of 5 cuz I'm a nerd.

Agreed, 4/5 because I thought Eddie Redmayne's acting was sub par (or maybe it was good, I just didn't like him playing Newt's role), although I think my view might change after watching a few more times / seeing the next few movies.

Coming from a nerd, still 5/5.

That execution chamber was insane, couldn't believe the other witches who were like "it'll be painless" or something. So I guess the execution chamber is a giant pensive that then consumes you as you remember your past?

If they didn't announce Depp as Grindelwald I'd have flipped at that reveal not just because it was Depp but because we wouldn't have been on that path mentally. Note the parallels between Sorcerer/Philosopher Stone reveal and this reveal; one sort of semi-menacing antagonist revealed to physically be the main bad guy. And I bet if I rewatch I'll pick up more like the jealousy.

I honestly have no idea if this is going to come to theme parks but I'd rather it not replace Mummy or an existing attraction...

I think (and wish/hope) this will come to the third (fourth/w.e) gate. I would die to go on a dark ride through Newt's briefcase (which means I disagree with
The inevitable menagerie scene goes on way too long
I thought the creativity was astonishing)

Opened to 8.75M in previews. That's pretty weak and lower than Doctor Strange. I'm seeing the movie in an hour, hopefully it's good.

I wouldn't say it's weak... It's on par with studio projections. To us fans, sure we might have some expectation of it being massive, but the studio clearly had more realistic expectations. Connected to Harry Potter or not, it still has to prove itself so to speak. Case in point, Similar to a lot of Marvel movies, such as Ant-Man, ect. Word of mouth so far is tracking very very good too, which bolds well for its long term performance.

Reactions: Joel