Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion | Page 144 | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney look to be investing again, with Avatar coming in May and this being Universals 2018 offering I can't help but feel this will be the moment momentum shifts back to Disney after over a decade.

I'm hoping for the best for this ride but I've never been less excited for a major project...It's such a miss for Universal. They're going to have to have some pretty major plans for 2019 to stem the flow of criticism that I feel will come their way with their 'overall' offerings when this opens....it's already started with people complaining more about screen based rides.
If F&F flops (not as a ride, but if it doesn't bring people to the park), Disney may hold the momentum until Nintendo Land or the third park opens. I really think Avatar will be a huge surprise to the entire community and has the potential to work wonders for AK over the next couple years.

If anything, Disney may be holding more equal to Universal if the upcoming Epcot rumors take hold.

Disney look to be investing again, with Avatar coming in May and this being Universals 2018 offering I can't help but feel this will be the moment momentum shifts back to Disney after over a decade.

I'm hoping for the best for this ride but I've never been less excited for a major project...It's such a miss for Universal. They're going to have to have some pretty major plans for 2019 to stem the flow of criticism that I feel will come their way with their 'overall' offerings when this opens....it's already started with people complaining more about screen based rides.

Started? It's been happening for years.

My primary concern is that Universal just opened a 360 attraction last year, and now they're essentially pulling a Transformers and adding the same attraction again, just with a different theme (and, based on what we've heard so far, in much less impressive fashion). Strikes me as not particularly the best move for the diversity of USF or UOR as a whole, to say nothing of whether or not that approach best serves the F&F theme (and it doesn't).

Will I go into the attraction with an open mind? As much as possible, yes. However, I cannot foresee a scenario where I'll walk out of the ride thinking it was worth replacing Earthquake/Disaster for it... unless everything we've heard about the ride is incorrect.

I agree, after the time and money spent on this, they probably could have just refreshed Disaster :rolleyes:

Given the guest feedback scores for Kong and the negative feedback the resort is getting for screens overall EVERY ONE is a bit nervous for Fast and Furious Supercharged and rightfully so.

In addition they indeed try to fix Disaster but that ride system was so jacked it would of had to of been completely replaced. Factor in cost to do that for a ride that's been there for years and yeah... it's gone.

Given the guest feedback scores for Kong and the negative feedback the resort is getting for screens overall EVERY ONE is a bit nervous for Fast and Furious Supercharged and rightfully so.

In addition they indeed try to fix Disaster but that ride system was so jacked it would of had to of been completely replaced. Factor in cost to do that for a ride that's been there for years and yeah... it's gone.

I'm curious if you could answer this, was there ever the thought with Disaster to replace the ride system overall but to keep it the same it was before?

I think Disaster's closure could also be counted for, when you consider the cost of repair of effects probably taking their toll for the attraction's fate as well, but it's interesting to ask.

I'm curious if you could answer this, was there ever the thought with Disaster to replace the ride system overall but to keep it the same it was before?

I think Disaster's closure could also be counted for, when you consider the cost of repair of effects probably taking their toll for the attraction's fate as well, but it's interesting to ask.

They tried to fix the issues that plagued the system but deemed that impossible and even changed the operational process years ago to accommodate the issues it had. I'm willing to bet a small fortune the moment they realized the ride system was doomed it became a long term project for Creative to replace it.

They probably would have but it was in too bad of shape.

That's unfortunate, I didn't know that. I thought Disaster was such a unique attraction. the preshows were a little stale, but overall I loved it.

That's unfortunate, I didn't know that. I thought Disaster was such a unique attraction. the preshows were a little stale, but overall I loved it.
Loved it too. I even liked the pre shows a lot, especially the Fusion effects. The set effects scene was great when it was working well. But at the end, most of the effects were broken & the tram was trashed. Probably one of the problems with an effects show with so many mechanics is that they have a finite life and start deteriorating after a period of time. Things like water & fire are really destructive to systems in the long run. Twister was deteriorating at the end also.

Last edited:
Fast and Furious easily could have costed under 50 million, which Universal has and would still keep the momentum. If they used a car type design dark ride and use effects to make it look like your weaving through sky scrapers, going over a cliff, being a high speed chase, but no, they want to go with the basic team ride WHICH THEY JUST GOT. You can't add two of the same ride 2 years apart. Doesn't work. Especially if no one likes the ride system to begin with. I'm sorry but I'm done with Universal doing "filler" attractions until the big one comes in. You don't have filler attractions. You have attractions. And then you have lands. Missed opportunity all around. Fast and the Furious is one of the easiest f****** franchises to make a ride around, and you don't take that to your absolute advantage?

Fast and Furious easily could have costed under 50 million, which Universal has and would still keep the momentum. If they used a car type design dark ride and use effects to make it look like your weaving through sky scrapers, going over a cliff, being a high speed chase, but no, they want to go with the basic team ride WHICH THEY JUST GOT. You can't add two of the same ride 2 years apart. Doesn't work. Especially if no one likes the ride system to begin with. I'm sorry but I'm done with Universal doing "filler" attractions until the big one comes in. You don't have filler attractions. You have attractions. And then you have lands. Missed opportunity all around. Fast and the Furious is one of the easiest f****** franchises to make a ride around, and you don't take that to your absolute advantage?
Yeah the filler attraction arguement is one of the weakest. I've never though of either Universal Park as having filler attractions or headliner attractions. Media will make it that way and of course average person takes media lead and follow suit.

If people would learn to enjoy the attraction for what it is, we wouldn't have to keep hearing how disappointed people are before an attractions is even built.

I only diagree with one part of your post though. "You can't add two of the same ride 2 years apart. Doesn't work." While I would love for companies to vary the ride types and systems, This works for just about every theme park operating. There are duplicates of the same ride system and or ride type. Universal gets bagged because the two parks are in close proximity but the numbers have increased regardless.

Reactions: captainmoch
Agree. What park builds attraction to just "fill in" an area. It's super half ass and inconsiderate for those who care for authenticity and creativity. It's just such an idiotic and stupid thing just to get money. If your gonna build any attraction your better do it right. Shame on universal.

Who would you say is doing a better job adding attraction that are not "filler" during this same timeframe Avatar land excluded.

Reactions: nebben
Everyone complaining hard about this project needs to take a step back. Obviously this isn't the best we could want coming from a franchise of this magnitude that begs for some real speed but give me a break. Disaster was not a must ride for me when I visited the park and anyone I know viewed it as cool nostalgia ride they don't mind being replaced. Disaster, especially after Potter, was a LOWER TIER RIDE. If Fast and Furious moves the needle in the slightest it will be a win for Universal and all signs point to it being just that. Maybe they will add more than we expect around the 360 scene and it will surprise even most of us in here. It is AN UPGRADE to whet we had and something I will stay optimisticly positive about. I too would love to see more physical sets added to universal rides as a whole. However, as a theme park fan in my late 20s, I still would prefer Mummy, Transformers, Hulk, FBJ, EFG, KONG, Spider-Man, butterbeer and the unique park beers in WWOHP and Springfield over anything the Mouse is offering. Long story short, Universal still has its mojo.

Last edited:

I'm glad they're at least cognizant of the perception that they've gotten a bit screen-happy lately. I would be curious for more info about the Kong feedback scores; I was under the impression it was a generally well-received attraction, but I've seen a lot of references to the (supposedly not-so-positive) scores its gotten from the guests.

I wonder if Universal's over-reliance on screens will hurt feedback on Disney's latest output too. There's gotta be a decent cross-section of DAK and DHS visitors that makeup Universal's attendance. When people first ride Flight of Passage, people will ask... what is it? Screens. When Star Wars opens.. what is it? Screens.

At that point, if they've been to a Universal park in the past 10 years, they've already seen it done and done well.. numerous times.