Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Father Thrown Out of Universal Studios Over T-Shirt

It's obvious he is leaving something out. Probably threatening security.

Few key things to note here:
- More office showed up..... means he escalated it
- Security said they would call the police.... means he escalated it
- Most importantly if you have a shirt that causes an issue they ask you to buy a new one. Seen it happen many many times.

It's obvious he is leaving something out. Probably threatening security.

Few key things to note here:
- More office showed up..... means he escalated it
- Security said they would call the police.... means he escalated it
- Most importantly if you have a shirt that causes an issue they ask you to buy a new one. Seen it happen many many times.

Eeyup. I'd like to see the security's side of the story here.

Why people feel the need to ware shirts that law enforcement ware, when they have zero reason to, is beyond me... other than to try and impersonate them or intimidate others. IMO if you are not in a law enforcement agency you should not be allowed to ware their gear or likeness.

Yeah, either Uni has become grossly draconian or he went bonkers. Is it only Disney that asks people to turn their offensive t-shirts inside-out? I would think Uni would do the same.

Yeah, either Uni has become grossly draconian or he went bonkers. Is it only Disney that asks people to turn their offensive t-shirts inside-out? I would think Uni would do the same.

The article states, "Christian says he has previously worn the shirt to Disney World as well as to other theme parks." Why in the world would he do this? From on officer safety standpoint, you don't carry a weapon around a theme park so all you are doing is placing a target on your back.

Some police departments call this a police uniform.
So he was impersonating a police officer.
So the thread should be renamed
Universal kicked a guy and his family out for impersonating an officer.
He also caused a stink about it.
If my brother, sister, or father is a police officer doesn't give me the right to wear a police uniform.

If you take this story at face value was he not within his rights to ask to view the policy in writing?

Any by the way, "I can tell you it is our practice to clearly explain policy decisions to our guests" - Not

Please keep in mind that I am still very much Pro UOR.

The fact that this guy wouldn't just agree to the simple task of getting a new shirt, or at least turning it inside out, without arguing it/asking for writing, etc. tells me he's the type of person that would create a scene out of nothing. What is it with this shirt that is so important to him that he wears it to Disney and all kinds of theme parks and makes a point to leave it on even to the point of creating conflict? He obviously is asking for trouble by wearing it, or is a nutjob who thinks he's a police officer (or wants to be one). Having worked in the industry, I have no respect for people who live to give low-level employees a hard time. Even by the skirt details he has provided, I can tell he's a pain.

I know this is totally not related to the issue at hand, but it really bothered me that they said Blue Man Group theater and Billabong were inside the theme park :-X

The fact that this guy wouldn't just agree to the simple task of getting a new shirt, or at least turning it inside out, without arguing it/asking for writing, etc. tells me he's the type of person that would create a scene out of nothing. What is it with this shirt that is so important to him that he wears it to Disney and all kinds of theme parks and makes a point to leave it on even to the point of creating conflict? He obviously is asking for trouble by wearing it, or is a nutjob who thinks he's a police officer (or wants to be one). Having worked in the industry, I have no respect for people who live to give low-level employees a hard time. Even by the skirt details he has provided, I can tell he's a pain.
The article reads as if he was the one who asked if he could buy a new shirt, not the officers, and instead they kicked him out. Not sure why people think this guy is an idiot, trying to look like a cop, to me it seems like he just liked the shirt. He probably wore it at other parks because he was travelling and maybe didn't have a lot of extra clothes, and thought of it as a novelty item equivalent to a 'CSI' tv show shirt or other police-themed memorabilia. I get why the security might be mad at him and kick him out, for lashing out or whatnot, but at the same time when people in security get peeved at a situation from a position a visitor may not understand, like a security measure, it may seem intimidating and come off as an abuse of power to the visitor. Whether or not it actually is is hard to say, but considering I've heard a couple people here complain about instances of photographers being kicked out beyond Park policy, calling it unfair, I think it's being a bit quick-to-judge to call the guy an idiot for questioning the situation with a certain about of emotional distress.

I know this is totally not related to the issue at hand, but it really bothered me that they said Blue Man Group theater and Billabong were inside the theme park :-X

I usually do not put too much faith in the facts of a news story like this. They usually call around and pick up a few points, then just make up an interesting story for the in-between.

So at this point I have no clue what happened. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask someone to not wear a "Police" shirt in a venue of Unis size, as well as an international attraction. But the how and what happened after is still a question to what led up to leaving the park.

If he would have asked nicely universal would have bought him a shirt to wear. It sounds like he got irate and that's why he was kicked out.

If you take this story at face value was he not within his rights to ask to view the policy in writing?

I think it's reasonable for him to ask about the policy, but I also think that a rational person would understand right away why they might have a problem with a shirt that can make it seem like he is a police officer.

If he would have asked nicely universal would have bought him a shirt to wear.

Would they really do that? Seems a bit generous of them to just give a "problem guest" a $30 t-shirt because they don't like the one he's wearing. It would seem more logical to me for them to simply have him turn the shirt inside out or ask him to buy another shirt (cha-CHING!)

I know nothing about the policies in this sort of situation, so I'm merely posing the question.

Would they really do that? Seems a bit generous of them to just give a "problem guest" a $30 t-shirt because they don't like the one he's wearing. It would seem more logical to me for them to simply have him turn the shirt inside out or ask him to buy another shirt (cha-CHING!)

I know nothing about the policies in this sort of situation, so I'm merely posing the question.

Depending on the situation and TM, they will sometimes provide the shirt. Technically, it's a good guest service practice to let the guest enjoy their day in full, rather than forcing them to either spend money or take time to go back and change shirts, since it's Universal's policy that is causing the "inconvenience". That's why I'm almost positive that the guest here was being unruly. Given Universal's flexible attitude towards this sort of thing, it's obvious the guest's behavior, not clothing, was the reason for his removal from the park.

Depending on the situation and TM, they will sometimes provide the shirt. Technically, it's a good guest service practice to let the guest enjoy their day in full, rather than forcing them to either spend money or take time to go back and change shirts, since it's Universal's policy that is causing the "inconvenience". That's why I'm almost positive that the guest here was being unruly. Given Universal's flexible attitude towards this sort of thing, it's obvious the guest's behavior, not clothing, was the reason for his removal from the park.

The dude was a clown for wearing the shirt, he deserved to be tossed. What if some lost kid had come up to him, seeing his shirt, and he told the kid to get lost. Not saying that any of this would happen, but when you try to portray yourself as something you aren't and can't handle a situation based on that portrayal, bad things can happen.