Favorite MCU project from 2021? | Inside Universal Forums

Favorite MCU project from 2021?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Favorite MCU Show?

• WandaVision

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Loki

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • What if...?

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Hawkeye

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
2021 was a packed year for Marvel after going all of 2020 without any new movies or any shows. What was your favorite Disney+ show? Favorite Movie? What are your overall thoughts on the Disney+ shows and the current state of the MCU?

Since I think it's fairly obvious what the overwhelming majority would pick as their favorite movie of the year, i'm interested to see what the most popular show was?

Spider-Man is the obvious peak for the MCU this year, but I'll say that Loki, Shang-Chi, and the Strange/Ultron episodes of What If were some of the best content we've gotten out of the MCU yet.

I think 2021 was some of the roughest waters the MCU ship has had to tread since very early on in the project. It's still establishing its purpose post-Endgame while also introducing MCU television which doesn't help the overwhelming backlog problem that people who are deciding they want to get into the series have to deal with. New fans have to watch days of overwhelmingly similar content to get to the new stuff. It took me a weekend in 2017, and I thought that was an insane amount. We're closing in on half a decade of MCU content since then. Don't get me started on potentially including Sony, Netflix, and Fox properties into MCU canon like they flirted with in WandaVision and made the whole point for No Way Home. The Multiverse is a really unwieldy gimmick because if you do it right it can lead to some awesome fanservice and fun scenarios. But if you do it wrong it can lead to entire series' becoming impossible to decipher from a casual perspective. So far it's been handled pretty well, but we still have plenty of chances for it to fall apart.

Despite all of that though, the next few years seem to be very fun for preexisting fans. Dr. Strange, Thor, GotG, Black Panther. These are names that sell tickets and create real hype. We're officially out of the mediocre and tepid Black Widows and Eternals, we're back to the MCU's heavy hitters. I think if they pull their cards right, the MCU could entirely recement itself and start building to it's next huge event film. Spidey is a great first step.

Reactions: Nick and belloq87
Spiderman HANDS Down

But after that Falcon and Winter Solider and Shang Chi are both things I will watch again. Maybe wayyyy later on might watch Loki again because of Kang. Wanda I will watch every now and then, its quick and fun. Hawkeye...I dont know maybe I will watch it again but just doubt it. What If I will rewatch a full of the episodes, think the Dr Strange One will become a "halloween" favorite if its put on some halloween playlist

Reactions: Nick
Spider-Man definitely for MCU films, but have to mention Shang-Chi because it was a nice change of pace.

As far as television, I think Hawkeye was the most consistent (and most fun) so I give it the nod over Loki (became a little disjointed from episode to episode).

Since the MCU shows were the new thing this year, they were solid for a 1st year. WandaVision was creative as hell, but the story was wonky. Falcon & Winter Soldier suffered from obvious script changes due to real-world events so I'll give it a mulligan.

Guess I'll be in the minority and go with "What If...?" for TV. As a fan of anthologies, this was right up my alley and I loved how they brought together as many film actors as they could and packed in tons of Easter Eggs.

Hands down, Top Three's:

Film
1: Spider-Man: No Way Home = One of the best films in the MCU overall, the best Spider-Man film on the live action scale; it holds nothing back with going full on in introducing to audiences the Multiverse, in such a fantastic way for those keeping to theaters as opposed to TV. Also has the best ending of a Marvel project so-far in this phase, surpassing all of the projects this year. Yes, even when up against Loki.
2: Eternals = This isn't really a shock, but I love Eternals as a character story. It genuinely feels like a deepdive into a family on the midsts of a large scale turmoil that is rocking various members, while also being a "prevent the apocalypse" thread, with the best character introduced into the MCU thus far with Ikarus. Really hoping he comes back somehow.
3: Shang-Chi = Outside of NWH, this was fun. Really fun, and dare I say with some great action sequences and visuals. Ta Lao feels like it could do wonders as a backdrop for the spiritual side of Marvel Studios, outside of Kamer-Taj.

TV
1: Falcon and The Winter Soldier = This might be the most surprising thing to me, but I genuinely loved Falcon and The Winter Soldier. I love, the Captain America films. So to see it fully be expanded as a mini-series, focusing on the character relationship of Bucky and Sam, and the characters of USAgent; Flag-Smasher, and even Zemo and Sharon, makes me happy. I genuinely can't wait for Captain America 4, to see where the narrative goes from here.
2: Loki = Yes, Loki is lower than Falcon and The Winter Soldier. But it's not because I think it's okay, far from it. It nearly beats NWH's ending to be one of the seemingly most impactful endings in the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse; and gives us the chance to see a layered and fully developed character study on how the Hiddleston Pre-Dark World Loki was. I can't wait for Season 2 to see where the narrative goes.
3: Dr. Strange's Episode of What If...? = And to take it to Dr. Strange, what a gutpunching and very well done episode for the show. I have my criticisms of What If...?" as a whole, but this entire episode? The Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange variant? Yeah no, he's a very welcome and fascinating version of the Doctor Strange character. And I genuinely can't wait for MoM in May.

Reactions: Nick
WandaVision felt really refreshing for the MCU. I think we're entering a point in this franchise where they'll have to make the hard decision of scaling their stories to be these big event must-see things like No Way Home or Endgame or pulling back to do something more focused on character development. What's cool about WandaVision is that it straddles that line where it functions really well as an exploration of Wanda's grief and personal history while also getting us excited for the future of the character by scaling up her power and placing her at the center of this multiverse story. The throwbacks to the golden age of the television sitcom were well-executed and transitioned pretty seamlessly into the larger MCU story. More of this please.

WandaVision felt really refreshing for the MCU. I think we're entering a point in this franchise where they'll have to make the hard decision of scaling their stories to be these big event must-see things like No Way Home or Endgame or pulling back to do something more focused on character development. What's cool about WandaVision is that it straddles that line where it functions really well as an exploration of Wanda's grief and personal history while also getting us excited for the future of the character by scaling up her power and placing her at the center of this multiverse story. The throwbacks to the golden age of the television sitcom were well-executed and transitioned pretty seamlessly into the larger MCU story. More of this please.
I agree with most of that

Buttttt just no more surprise villains when literally dont have to be

Like it was Wanda all along but because we need a villain lets just make someone else the bad guy. I would not mind more the hero's really not always having some big bad to kill to make themselves whole again. Like how Bucky needed to tell his story to his old friend. I also think shows like Wanda and even Hawkeye work better when you watch them all at once and not week by week.
But overall while Falcon and Winter Soilder is my favorite MCU show, I think about Wanda alot as a fun time and really appreciate the actors for just taking what could be something so silly to the next level and really making you love these characters even more

Reactions: ghostsarejerks