1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Festival Bay Mall I-Drive

Discussion in 'Other Orlando & Central Florida Tourist Spots' started by wdwbiged, Dec 24, 2011.

1. wdwbiged

wdwbiged Rookie

So i was over at Festival Bay Mall on I-Drive the other day two things I wanted to bring up about it one is in the back of the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World there is a huge hanging shark just like outside Jaws (sorry forgot to take photo) 2nd is I can't recall but people were saying the mall is going to close soon and anyway the birds have told me Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, Cinemark 20 Theatres, Universal Orlando store, Putting Edge Fun Center, and Ron Jon Surf Shop and going to stay but the rest of the mall is going to be torn down and remade into like a strip mall

2. violarum

violarum Premium Member

The redevelopment of the mall is going to be designed by Paragon Outlets (link), and apparently it will be completely open-air. Their plan is to "turn this enclosed mall inside-out and give it a brand-new format and façade." Below is a conceptual drawing they have posted on their site. I think it looks chic enough to finally be a legitimate competitor against Millenia, and perhaps it will entail with it some new developments around that area.

[​IMG]

3. Thor

Thor Veteran Member

Downtown Disney says what??? LOL.

4. wdwbiged

wdwbiged Rookie

i wonder how long this would take to do... kind of sad that it's so dead cause they have a nice looking inside

5. SpyderDan

SpyderDan Veteran Member

I've never been there but they have a Universal store there?

6. Andy

Andy aka Hatetofly V.I.P.

A large retailer has already been looking into this area to open a high volume prototype store. The 1.5 mile stretch from Sand Lake Rd to the outlet malls entrance is going to be a huge area of redevelopement over the next few years.

7. jtsalien

jtsalien Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically, run. Premium Member

I was a big fan of Putting Edge when it first opened. Hopefully this new project will encourage them to renovate some things themselves.

8. SweeneysGalMegz

SweeneysGalMegz Rookie

Reminds me of the Avenues in Viera. I used to go all the time and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind visiting it once I move back.

9. Victoria

Victoria Rookie

Yep. It's more of an outlet store.

10. tiredoldspook

tiredoldspook Veteran Member

Weren't they going to build some kind of Park there at one time? I know there is piles of dead area, I have not been there since Steve and Barry's closed.

11. bronzey

bronzey Rookie

what happened to this place?
    I stopped by Bass Pro last night (Saturday night, St.Patricks day and Spring break) and ventured into the mall. There were maybe 15 open stores. The universal store was pretty dead, it didn't look well stocked (just a few t-shirt racks and stuffed animals that covered maybe 1/3 the store). There were more people in Bass Pro than in the rest of the mall (though I didn't go in Ron Jon or the Cinemark).
    I hadn't been there in like 5 years (or whenever sharkboy and Lavagirl came out (don't ask)) and it was fairly crowded back then and all the stores were open. Last night was the exact opposite.

12. Bryan

Bryan Member

It's been dead for the past several years I've been here with more stores closing each year. The Universal Store is closing soon.

I haven't been in a while myself, but when I would see a movie it was here cause they have very cheap tix for the early showtimes.

13. Andy

Andy aka Hatetofly V.I.P.

Oh please speed this up! I can't tell you how much it COULD effect me.

14. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

I went to the mall for the first time last month to see the Universal Store and it was so f-ing creepy. I will post a pic I have dubbed as "Dawn of the Dead." This was on a Sunday in the middle of the day.

15. wdwbiged

wdwbiged Rookie

Yes the Universal Store is closing inside the mall most store are while they get ready to tear it down and build again to more of an outside mall

16. SpyderDan

SpyderDan Veteran Member

A lot of malls in the Central Florida area seem to be like this. I was at the Florida Mall recently and while it wasn't as bad as that picture seems to indicate, I was surprised by how many empty stores there were. I guess one day, we won't have shopping malls at all.

17. Jakemeister

Jakemeister Premium Member

I like that we're moving towards open air shopping centers. For whatever reason I greatly prefer them over malls. As well they seemed to fair better in the recession. The Winter Garden Village not only grew during the recession but opened up new stores. While the Fla Mall, Festival Bay, and West Oaks had tenants leaving in droves.

18. John321

John321 Member

I miss Fudruckers :'(

19. BJCool

BJCool Veteran Member

From Orlando Sentinel

20. Flowboarder_DC

Flowboarder_DC Newcomer

I don't feel like that's going to be a very good concept for the area...