First Ride? | Inside Universal Forums

First Ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 11, 2016
Hi all! My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to UOR at the end of January. He’s never been to Universal (or Disney) and is a bit skeptical of it all. What would be a good first ride to take someone on who’s never been to the parks that would blow them away? I feel like mummy or FJ would be good first picks. Thoughts?

Hi all! My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to UOR at the end of January. He’s never been to Universal (or Disney) and is a bit skeptical of it all. What would be a good first ride to take someone on who’s never been to the parks that would blow them away? I feel like mummy or FJ would be good first picks. Thoughts?

That is a great question, and great planning indeed. Most peeps, even you, agree that Mummy and FJ are the best rides in their respective parks. Spidey gets a call-out.

But I suggest to start out with the "above average ride" first and go to one of those "best rides" second. If he likes Harry Potter, the ole Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, and FJ, is a no-brainer. Get some beers on the HE along the way.

Otherwise, for USF: maybe Transformers, Mummy; or for IOA: FJ, Spider-Man.

Can't really lose with a top-3 in either park. Just don't go on Fast & Furious until you are really drunk.

I think Spider-Man is the greatest of all time but I think the answer to your question is a bit more complex.

Do you want to start with the best ride and have it go down hill after or do you want to build up to it?

The other factor is wait time. The best rides have the longest wait time and waiting a long time for the first ride can be off putting. I'm sure others here will be able to give a good indication of what crowds to expect. If you're staying on site and have Express Pass, then ignore the last part.

I think Spider-Man is the greatest of all time but I think the answer to your question is a bit more complex.

Do you want to start with the best ride and have it go down hill after or do you want to build up to it?

The other factor is wait time. The best rides have the longest wait time and waiting a long time for the first ride can be off putting. I'm sure others here will be able to give a good indication of what crowds to expect. If you're staying on site and have Express Pass, then ignore the last part.
Good points. I'd agree.

Reactions: tankart150

What kind of rides, if any, does he like at local parks? Any properties he likes that are in the parks already?

Also consider letting him research, plan, and book dining reservations as a way to tie him into the trip. We did this a long time ago with another grumpy pants and now he goes yearly with his family!

On a personal note I was very skeptical the first time I went to Disney and Universal in the same trip. I had a lot of preconceived notions about what they would be and that I wouldn’t like it. The first time I walked into the parks I was completely blown away. I don’t know him personally but I would guess he will do the same. I now talk about theme parks and want to plan more trips than my wife does who introduced me to the parks.

I would actually agree that Forbidden Journey would be a good start. Show him the immersiveness of Harry Potter lands and the true beauty of the parks.

Over thinking this. Go and ride. The only caveat would be doing the HP stuff in sequence if Harry is your thing. Water rides at IOA obviously better at a warmer time of day.

That is a great question, and great planning indeed. Most peeps, even you, agree that Mummy and FJ are the best rides in their respective parks. Spidey gets a call-out.

But I suggest to start out with the "above average ride" first and go to one of those "best rides" second. If he likes Harry Potter, the ole Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, and FJ, is a no-brainer. Get some beers on the HE along the way.

Otherwise, for USF: maybe Transformers, Mummy; or for IOA: FJ, Spider-Man.

Can't really lose with a top-3 in either park. Just don't go on Fast & Furious until you are really drunk.

Building it up is probably a better idea. Perhaps Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, FJ is a fun way to go?

We'll be in the parks Sunday - Tuesday of the last week of January, so I'm not anticipating it to be terribly busy. We didn't spring for express passes, but we could always change our minds when we get to the park :)

What kind of rides, if any, does he like at local parks? Any properties he likes that are in the parks already?

Also consider letting him research, plan, and book dining reservations as a way to tie him into the trip. We did this a long time ago with another grumpy pants and now he goes yearly with his family!

He's only been to Six Flags Great America a number of years ago and enjoyed the roller coasters. I think that he would enjoy a thrilling dark ride, he just hasn't been on one! He really likes Harry Potter and loves Simpsons, though I think Simpsons might be a bit more fun if we ride around lunch then grab a Krusty burger and a Duff.

Great idea! We just started doing the planning. Luckily I'm not in full-on grumpy territory! I've had a trip where I had to deal with that and it was not too pleasant :)

On a personal note I was very skeptical the first time I went to Disney and Universal in the same trip. I had a lot of preconceived notions about what they would be and that I wouldn’t like it. The first time I walked into the parks I was completely blown away. I don’t know him personally but I would guess he will do the same. I now talk about theme parks and want to plan more trips than my wife does who introduced me to the parks.

I would actually agree that Forbidden Journey would be a good start. Show him the immersiveness of Harry Potter lands and the true beauty of the parks.

Thank you for this! I'm happy to hear. He's excited to go, but I don't think he gets how Universal is different than a Six Flags (and the price accordingly so). It will click once we get there!

Last edited:
Building it up is probably a better idea. Perhaps Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, FJ is a fun way to go?

Thank you for this! I'm happy to hear. He's excited to go, but I don't think he gets how Universal is different than a Six Flags (and the price accordingly so). It will click once we get there!

If you can do early entry to the studios then Diagon Alley will be open. Be sure to enter the alley through the proper entrance and have your camera ready for his expression as you walk in. That is the way Harry went and it is very faithful to the story.

First ride Gringotts? Sure, that is an excellent way to start the day. Work your way over to MiB after you spend some time in DA and zap some aliens a few rides then you could hit Springfield or do a walkthrough and hit E.T.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Hulk - if he's a fan of the larger coasters, that might be exhilarating to walk up to that first thing in the morning. Otherwise I agree with FJ, Mummy or Spider-Man. Probably steer clear of ET until a bit later - although a classic to those of us who hold it near and dear, a bit trippy for the average guest.

MiB is probably my favorite ride because it's a game. But I'd recommend to hold off for a cool down period as it's not that intense, and you can ride it a few times in a row trying to beat your previous scores. As others suggested HP or Marvel first.