Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

First trip to Orlando

Oct 27, 2009
Hey everyone,

I have been a member here for almost a decade (on OrlandoUnited before the IU merge) and have been lurking and occasionally commenting throughout the years. I don't mention it enough, but thank you to everyone for always providing amazing updates, great banter and helping to somewhat curb my obsession with theme parks.

I have never been to the States, even though it has been a major dream of mine since I first started to watch the steel go vertical on the FJ show building. I spent a large chunk of my early teens amongst the initial Potter hype, witnessing iconic moments such as the courtyard debate, and the rise and fall of the Powerade bottle. I often wonder what turtle is now the new home to that bottle ;) :(

I think it is time that I suck it up and spend the money to go have a look and see what the theme park capital of the world is like in person. With the Wizarding World expansions apparently coming to a close (other than MoM some time in the future), I think now is the best time for a HP fan like myself to make the trip from NZ.

I am first wanting some advice on what is the best time to visit, and then maybe once it is a bit closer to my trip, some more help with tips and tricks as to how to get the best value for time and money.

I would prefer to be there some time that has cheap-ish hotel rates, cool-ish weather, and not crazy crowds like Christmas, Spring Break and Easter. Am I right in thinking January is a good time to go to meet these requirements? Are there any days I should avoid?

Thanks!

Chris

Hey everyone,

I have been a member here for almost a decade (on OrlandoUnited before the IU merge) and have been lurking and occasionally commenting throughout the years. I don't mention it enough, but thank you to everyone for always providing amazing updates, great banter and helping to somewhat curb my obsession with theme parks.

I have never been to the States, even though it has been a major dream of mine since I first started to watch the steel go vertical on the FJ show building. I spent a large chunk of my early teens amongst the initial Potter hype, witnessing iconic moments such as the courtyard debate, and the rise and fall of the Powerade bottle. I often wonder what turtle is now the new home to that bottle ;) :(

I think it is time that I suck it up and spend the money to go have a look and see what the theme park capital of the world is like in person. With the Wizarding World expansions apparently coming to a close (other than MoM some time in the future), I think now is the best time for a HP fan like myself to make the trip from NZ.

I am first wanting some advice on what is the best time to visit, and then maybe once it is a bit closer to my trip, some more help with tips and tricks as to how to get the best value for time and money.

I would prefer to be there some time that has cheap-ish hotel rates, cool-ish weather, and not crazy crowds like Christmas, Spring Break and Easter. Am I right in thinking January is a good time to go to meet these requirements? Are there any days I should avoid?

Thanks!

Chris
Best trip planning site I know is orlando informer, you probably know this but they will plan your whole trip for free using their years of inside information

Best trip planning site I know is orlando informer, you probably know this but they will plan your whole trip for free using their years of inside information

Thanks Joe! That sounds like a solid plan, I will get in contact with them and will hopefully be on my way to Orlando in the not-so-distant future :grin:

I think end of January or February is a good time to visit the parks. There’s really no slow seasons but the weather and crowds are usually more enjoyable. I love meeting foreigners coming to the US of A for their first time.

Am I right in thinking January is a good time to go to meet these requirements? Are there any days I should avoid?

Once through the New Year period, January's absolutely a great time to go. In that month, I usually try to avoid Martin Luther King Jr. Day (the third Monday of the month) and the weekend that precedes it, but other than that it's pretty clear sailing.

Early February and early November tend to be pretty good, too.

I think end of January or February is a good time to visit the parks. There’s really no slow seasons but the weather and crowds are usually more enjoyable. I love meeting foreigners coming to the US of A for their first time.

Thanks! I'll keep Jan/Feb in mind

I will post here once my friend and I have booked our flights; it'd be sweet if we could meet up with some of the locals! :thumbsup:

Once through the New Year period, January's absolutely a great time to go. In that month, I usually try to avoid Martin Luther King Jr. Day (the third Monday of the month) and the weekend that precedes it, but other than that it's pretty clear sailing.

Early February and early November tend to be pretty good, too.

There were surprisingly cheap flights in November- that'd be my first choice (because it's sooner haha) but I don't think my friend can make it this year. It is looking like early next year might be the earliest I can get there. Thanks for your reply! I will try to avoid Martin Luther King Jr. Day (and the weekend that precedes it) :)