Frozen Ever After | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Frozen Ever After

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love to see Frozen replace the ride but wouldn't that distract to much from the shopping and eating you are supposed to do at World Showcase? If Disney wanted you to do rides there they would have gone trough with the original rides intended to be in there in the first place...
But a trackless "Arctica" kind of ride in Disney Studios would be nice.

Frozen wasn't a holiday movie and it did well thanks to word of mouth. It's in it's 7th weekend and could end up being #1, and there's always people on Twitter saying their theater sold out. For comparison's sake, Rise of the Guardians came out the same week in 2012 yet was a box office bomb.

I have to agree with HTF. I took my kids to see Frozen last night for the second time. Why, because there was nothing else out there for them to see. The only real kid related movie was Walking with Dinosaurs. I think it is a great Disney movie, and because it is Disney many people will see it multiple times. However it is doing very well because it is a good movie and there really wasn't alot of other options for kids in December and now January.

As for replacing Malestrom, I hope they do not. Some one stated it best that of all the areas in EPCOT that need an upgrade, Norway is low on the list.

I have to agree with HTF. I took my kids to see Frozen last night for the second time. Why, because there was nothing else out there for them to see. The only real kid related movie was Walking with Dinosaurs. I think it is a great Disney movie, and because it is Disney many people will see it multiple times. However it is doing very well because it is a good movie and there really wasn't alot of other options for kids in December and now January.

As for replacing Malestrom, I hope they do not. Some one stated it best that of all the areas in EPCOT that need an upgrade, Norway is low on the list.

who cares? You said you liked it. The key to profitability in the movie business is repeat viewings. You wouldnt have seen it twice if it hadnt been good, you could have just stayed home. Same thing for other families who saw it, liked it, and saw it again. It is a good movie, and its success up to THIS point is independent of competition.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I would love to see maelstrom get an update but I don't think a frozen ride belongs there. Keep the princess rides in magic kingdom and let the world showcase stay as such. Maelstrom is currently epcots third e-ticket ride. While I was honestly blown away by the movie I think it would cheapen the world showcase and didn't tie itself to Norway as strongly as it would need to in order to belong.

I don't consider Maelstrom an E-ticket at all. And even if it was, it wouldn't be third. That would be Mission: Space.

I don't consider Maelstrom an E-ticket at all. And even if it was, it wouldn't be third. That would be Mission: Space.

Tell that to my magic/fast pass+ in the eticket section where you can only select one of the 3 top attractions they are soarin, test track, and maelstrom. I agree it is very strange to be in that list, but maybe it draws more of a crowd due to the nature of mission space and not as many people go on it as one would think

I know I've never been on because I have motion sickness and being told I am going to throw up, deal with it, here's a puke bag kind of put me off. Add that in with its history and who knows (I'm sure someone on here does know the avg number of people that ride please help)

who cares? You said you liked it. The key to profitability in the movie business is repeat viewings. You wouldnt have seen it twice if it hadnt been good, you could have just stayed home. Same thing for other families who saw it, liked it, and saw it again. It is a good movie, and its success up to THIS point is independent of competition.

Who cares that there is not any competition???? Well lets see, that would be Disney. I wouldn't have seen it twice if there had been any other movie out that my kids wanted to see. To say that lack of competition has not impacted REPEAT viewing is naive at best. Not many families are going to drop $50-$70 to see a movie again. Especially when in a few weeks it will be at the "dollar" movie. Not having really any other options for movies for multiple weeks in a row is a much bigger factor for Frozen than how wonderful it is.

Who cares that there is not any competition???? Well lets see, that would be Disney. I wouldn't have seen it twice if there had been any other movie out that my kids wanted to see. To say that lack of competition has not impacted REPEAT viewing is naive at best. Not many families are going to drop $50-$70 to see a movie again. Especially when in a few weeks it will be at the "dollar" movie. Not having really any other options for movies for multiple weeks in a row is a much bigger factor for Frozen than how wonderful it is.

What is naive is to say that people will not spend money to see a movie twice when you yourself did the same thing. Before you go calling people names, you might want to do some research. Profitability is linked with repeat viewings, especially with a movie like Frozen whose appeal isnt primarily the 18-35 demographic. Not to mention plenty of films with no competition have had much less success.

The more important point, however, is that the merits of a movie are independent of its box office success, competition, etc. Sure, Frozen may have had no competition, but that doesnt make it a bad movie. Even with your off-base logic, you could simply look at critics reviews to see Frozen was a solid film. Relating back to the topic of this thread, Disney isnt going to hold off on making an attraction because the property its based off of had no competition in its theatrical run.

Frozen won't be at dollar theaters until Mid-February at the earliest. It positioned to get the #1 spot in it's 7th weekend, and with no family movie coming out for another month (Lego Movie) it's safe for a bit.

I personally think it doesn't matter if it was a good movie or not (it was). It doesn't belong in the world showcase. If they want the world showcsse to have rides that are associated with disney movies they should start the trend in countries that have nothing. Epcot is full of areas of nothing and can do more than enough in those spaces. There is no more under utilized park than epcot and ripping out a classic ride for no reason other than a movie release is insane. Look how they "fixed" figment, the bodywars building horizons or anything else. The world of tomorrow and the world showcase should stay with its theming. Hell I'm sure this could have fit perfectly inside of some bathroom or horribly done new fantasyland.

Reactions: TylerDurden
I personally think it doesn't matter if it was a good movie or not (it was). It doesn't belong in the world showcase. If they want the world showcsse to have rides that are associated with disney movies they should start the trend in countries that have nothing. Epcot is full of areas of nothing and can do more than enough in those spaces. There is no more under utilized park than epcot and ripping out a classic ride for no reason other than a movie release is insane. Look how they "fixed" figment, the bodywars building horizons or anything else. The world of tomorrow and the world showcase should stay with its theming. Hell I'm sure this could have fit perfectly inside of some bathroom or horribly done new fantasyland.

World Showcase is begging for attractions and has room...As I hate to see the integrity of Epcot be taken away as IPs flood in, I believe the ship has sailed on Epcot's educational value

What is naive is to say that people will not spend money to see a movie twice when you yourself did the same thing. Before you go calling people names, you might want to do some research. Profitability is linked with repeat viewings, especially with a movie like Frozen whose appeal isnt primarily the 18-35 demographic.

What if people see it three times, does that mean more or less profit??? How about before we decide to change an existing attraction and invest tens of millions of dollars, we look a little deeper into the numbers to make sure the investment is a sound one. Of course it is a good movie, no one is doubting that. But I assure you it would not have the numbers it is having if it had any competition. I have a family and I am in the demographic where all my friends have families. Some have seen Frozen more than once. Why, not because its that great of movie that our kids are begging to see it again, but its because we wanted to take the kids to a movie and there really isn't any other options.

Lets take an example like Tangled. I think we can all agree that it was a major success for Disney, and is the same category as Frozen. What did Tangled have to compete with when it was released: Megamind, Harry Potter, Narnia and Tron. What did Frozen have to compete with, Free Birds and nothing other than the Lego movie in the near future. If Frozen had to compete with that same line up of movies there is no way it pulls in the numbers it has. And I am a perfect example (seeing it twice). Tangled did around $600 million competing with those movies, which is incredible and shows how strong the Tangled brand is. Frozen has done around $530 million to date and it will probably pass Tangled. But my point is the lack of any real competition is giving it extra shelf life that it would not normally have and Disney is loving it. It also points to just how strong Tangled was and still is for Disney (not mention the hour long waits to meet Rapunzel).

So I apologize for the naive comment, but you have to look at the all facts on exactly why a movie is making the $$$. Not just that its really good and people are seeing it twice. Frozen is a really good movie, but it has benefited greatly with being the only player in the kids movie market for most of December and will be for most of January.

What is naive is to say that people will not spend money to see a movie twice when you yourself did the same thing. Before you go calling people names, you might want to do some research. Profitability is linked with repeat viewings, especially with a movie like Frozen whose appeal isnt primarily the 18-35 demographic. Not to mention plenty of films with no competition have had much less success.

The more important point, however, is that the merits of a movie are independent of its box office success, competition, etc. Sure, Frozen may have had no competition, but that doesnt make it a bad movie. Even with your off-base logic, you could simply look at critics reviews to see Frozen was a solid film. Relating back to the topic of this thread, Disney isnt going to hold off on making an attraction because the property its based off of had no competition in its theatrical run.

My only point being was that the film did so well financially because it had no competition. Never questioned the movies reviews, merits, or its ability to be turned into an attraction. Its simple, if a movie caters to a certain audience and there isn't competition it does better from a sales point of view. Why do you think movie studios try to release blockbusters away from each other? So it doesn't cannibalize the crowds. On top of that with as expensive as movies are these days how many of those who saw it "again" were likely to see it a second time vs going to see another holiday film or better yet something along the lines of Despicable Me 3 for arguments sake. There have been plenty of movies that did horrible in the box office that would be great as a theme park addition and vice versa. But again thats not the point I originally made, I was simply implying the film did better with no other film to syphon sales numbers.

I really enjoyed Frozen but do not at all like the idea of it being at the Norway Pavilion. It is not a Norwegian story. It is an American story set in Norway that is loosely based on a story by a Danish author. World Showcase is supposed to be about the various peoples and cultures presented, not loose American interpretations.

Remember this too: Frozen had to compete with Hunger Games, The Hobbit, Anchorman 2, and American Hustle and has beat out all of them on different weekends.

Shucker and Hatetofly...youre right that its pulling numbers due to lack of competition, I hear you. But to say thats the only reason for its success is extrapolation. It very well could have achieved a high level of success with Despicable Me 3 being released right beside it. Like I get it, Disney sucks and they cant do anything right and all that but none of us will ever know how Frozen will have done against bigger kids movies. What we do know is that people are coming back, which people would NOT do if the movie sucked. Plenty of films targeting a narrow demographic have come out with no competition and have gone under the wayside anyway because they are no good.

If you all are saying that the movie IS good, but just want to diminish its success for whatever reason, I get that. And maybe I misunderstood the point. All Im trying to say is that studios dont work that way...if it makes money it becomes viable for theme park attractions. Theyre not going to take the chance that all of its money came from the same group of people going over and over again.

In any case, I agree that a cartoon-based ride doesnt even belong in World Showcase anyway though lol.

**on a sidenote, what film did Tangled go up against that makes it incomparable to Frozen?

Last edited:
Well. I make it a point to see almost every movie even mentioned in the same breath as the word "Oscar". I saw Frozen a second time when I could've seen any other film (American Hustle, Her, Wolf of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, etc) and instead I took my gf to see it again because I enjoyed it so much and wanted her to see it. She then took her mother to see it because she loved it so much. The movie is adored and they are selling march for it like hot cakes. I tried to find an Olaf at two different Disney stores a few weeks before Christmas and came up with zilch. They play the music on Sirius XM on the Broadway channel and get requests for it all the time. EW even already did a "rank the songs in Frozen" article. It's a juggernaut for DAS.

What if people see it three times, does that mean more or less profit??? How about before we decide to change an existing attraction and invest tens of millions of dollars, we look a little deeper into the numbers to make sure the investment is a sound one. Of course it is a good movie, no one is doubting that. But I assure you it would not have the numbers it is having if it had any competition. I have a family and I am in the demographic where all my friends have families. Some have seen Frozen more than once. Why, not because its that great of movie that our kids are begging to see it again, but its because we wanted to take the kids to a movie and there really isn't any other options.

Lets take an example like Tangled. I think we can all agree that it was a major success for Disney, and is the same category as Frozen. What did Tangled have to compete with when it was released: Megamind, Harry Potter, Narnia and Tron. What did Frozen have to compete with, Free Birds and nothing other than the Lego movie in the near future. If Frozen had to compete with that same line up of movies there is no way it pulls in the numbers it has. And I am a perfect example (seeing it twice). Tangled did around $600 million competing with those movies, which is incredible and shows how strong the Tangled brand is. Frozen has done around $530 million to date and it will probably pass Tangled. But my point is the lack of any real competition is giving it extra shelf life that it would not normally have and Disney is loving it. It also points to just how strong Tangled was and still is for Disney (not mention the hour long waits to meet Rapunzel).

So I apologize for the naive comment, but you have to look at the all facts on exactly why a movie is making the $$$. Not just that its really good and people are seeing it twice. Frozen is a really good movie, but it has benefited greatly with being the only player in the kids movie market for most of December and will be for most of January.
There were 5 hour long waits to meet Anna and Elsa at Epcot the other day on NYE and it's regularly holding at over an hour...