Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

I do wonder about the track and tech...It wouldn't surprise me if it is at the point where it is difficult to maintain without significant overhead cost

Universal does tend to run the hell out of their coasters (see Hulk 1.0)

Am I the only that realizes @Brian G. just told us basically that the earliest we will see Kidzone close is 2025. Just think he mentions this looks to be first on the chopping block, before Kidzone, but won’t begin work until after Epic Universe opens. So EU opens 2023 and if this begins immediately and at a quick pace, 2 years, that puts us at 2025. This is only if everything goes perfect for the next 6 years.

6 years people!!!

Kidzone may very well outlive us all.

I’ll throw my hand in the ring for if this is replaced before both FFL and Shrek I believe it would in very poor taste. Orlando management must hate the studios park if this were to happen. Kidzone at this point is becoming a lost cause to hope for replacement but replacing a top attraction, ROTM, with crap like FFL and Shrek wasting space would just be sad, disappointing, and downright cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

Am I the only that realizes @Brian G. just told us basically that the earliest we will see Kidzone close is 2025. Just think he mentions this looks to be first on the chopping block, before Kidzone, but won’t begin work until after Epic Universe opens. So EU opens 2023 and if this begins immediately and at a quick pace, 2 years, that puts us at 2025. This is only if everything goes perfect for the next 6 years.

6 years people!!!

I’ll throw my hand in the ring for if this is replaced before both FFL and Shrek I believe it would in very poor taste. Orlando management must hate the studios park if this were to happen. Kidzone at this point is becoming a lost cause to hope for replacement but replacing a top attraction, ROTM, with crap like FFL and Shrek wasting space would just be sad, disappointing, and downright cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

I didn’t insinuate any of that, either.

6 years people!!!

Heck, it’d be poor taste if Mummy closes before Fast & Furious :lol:

Universal knows guests love Mummy, it scores well.
Universal is building a new land in EU that needs mummy.
The current mummy ride is old and needs replacement eventually. UC can go all out and make mummy ride 2.0 and offer guests an even better mummy ride hence the old one will seas to exist.

I guess enough drama queens on this forum could loose their mind over this anyway but I think it's great. And yes sometimes a replacement is bad like F&F or everything they have done up to now in Epcot so go see it now and enjoy it. But it can also be amazing like Hagrid or half of Avatar land.

Idk why the insiders get like “everyone take a Xanax” when they mention one of the forums favorite rides is going to potentially close before other areas that desperately need something addressed. It’s not that wild to think it’s stupid that in 2025, Woody Woodpecker and Barney still rule kidzone. It’s sad. Not that Mummy is necessarily more relevant but it’s a terrific attraction. Sad if this is going to be the case.

I think its one of the best rides in the park, and it would be a shame to see it go

But...

Thinking rationally. Its an old ride. Chances are it needs a complete replacement in the near future (similar to Hulk). If this is the case, what do you expect Universal to do? They're not going to redo it when they are integrating Mummy into EU. And they can't redo other things first if this needs a relatively imminent redo.

In a few years when this eventually does go, there will be so many great rides that no one will be that bothered. Enough with the whinging

Is a possible impending end to mummy consistent for Hollywood too? Doubt it would in Singapore (they have a whole land around it) unless they wanted to put a new land there (though I think they’re putting Minion park and mushroom kingdom both in the Madagascar land but could be wrong)

Idk why the insiders get like “everyone take a Xanax” when they mention one of the forums favorite rides is going to potentially close before other areas that desperately need something addressed. It’s not that wild to think it’s stupid that in 2025, Woody Woodpecker and Barney still rule kidzone. It’s sad. Not that Mummy is necessarily more relevant but it’s a terrific attraction. Sad if this is going to be the case.

Ok I’m really not trying to be a jerk here, but we really need to stop picking and choosing points. Again... It’s one thing to dread the inevitable loss of an attraction. It’s another to go on random, unfounded tangents based on literally no information. Using words like "unethical" or circling back to the F&F pile-on is stupid. I couldn't even imagine what the Jaws discussion would be like had it closed in 2019. Ya'll want to have your cake and eat it too.

"We want Shrek to close, but we don't want screens, but I don't think SLoP is relevant enough to replace it, but Shrek should close first."

All I was merely trying to point out in my OP was that it was not impossible for the attraction to close. A pretty straight-forward response with no ulterior meaning. You wanna have a discussion? Look at posts like @Tobias and @Andysol. I know the cool thing to do these days is join the "Outrage Mob", but that crap ain't going to fly here.

Ok I’m really not trying to be a jerk here, but we really need to stop picking and choosing points. Again... It’s one thing to dread the inevitable loss of an attraction. It’s another to go on random, unfounded tangents based on literally no information. Using words like "unethical" or circling back to the F&F pile-on is stupid. I couldn't even imagine what the Jaws discussion would be like had it closed in 2019. Ya'll want to have your cake and eat it too.

"We want Shrek to close, but we don't want screens, but I don't think SLoP is relevant enough to replace it, but Shrek should close first."

All I was merely trying to point out in my OP was that it was not impossible for the attraction to close. A pretty straight-forward response with no ulterior meaning. You wanna have a discussion? Look at posts like @Tobias and @Andysol. I know the cool thing to do these days is join the "Outrage Mob", but that crap ain't going to fly here.
No, the issue here is that people are upset their favorite attraction is going to close, possibly soon (5-6 years is soon in theme park world), we're obviously upset by this inside information given to us, then you tell everyone to take a Xanax because any attraction can close. We know that, but it doesn't mean we can't be upset. You also can't tie all those arguments into 1 as those aren't my thoughts, more of a collective thought of the entire forum so its not really fair to address me, with that. You can't say we're going on random tangents when you yourself said this may close sooner than later, possibly after EU, barring any any changes. That sounds like information to me!

If you're going to give out information like Mummy potentially closing not long after EU, you're going to garner a reaction. Sorry, but what do you expect? I feel sometimes to insiders here release info, we react, then they complain bout the reaction. You created this conversation and we've obviously carried it on. I don't think thats on us, the posters, to be discussing a possible attraction closing as a bad thing or being part of the "outrage mob". You also mentioning its a post EU project adds to the discussion, not "no ulterior meaning". Little things like that are what spark discussions on forums, I really don't understand what you guys expect sometimes. I certainly appreciate the info we get, truly, and the work that is put into this site, but that doesn't mean we can't be upset about it when a lot of us are invested in these parks and strongly believe other things need to be done first in order to improve the parks/resorts. I don't expect another F&F and am too annoyed with posters who won't let that 1 attraction go, but people are upset when a favorite ride is about to go. You can't respond with "get over it".

Everyone was upset about Jaws, then we got Diagon Alley. We all certainly know any attraction can close at anytime and this ride didnt have an endless life, but when there are other areas of the park that needs to be addressed its completely fair to be upset this seems to be where they put their work in first.

A las, onto my first cup of coffee for the day.

A las, onto my first cup of coffee for the day

user name definitely checks out. :lol:

I understand your point but also understand @Brian G. point. I also understand that when people hear “mummy will close in the future” that people will be reactive. But now that we’ve done that, step back and think of why they would close it. It certainly isn’t “let’s see if we can piss people off”.

It also might be a crappy situation for UOR itself. The ride might need replaced because of valid reasons beyond their control. And the planned mummy ride at EU might easily be inferior to the mummy ride at USF and they know it. And now they’re left losing a beloved attraction to no fault of their own while bringing a new attraction that won’t quite live up to it. Or the new ride could be even better while paying homage. But either way, I think they’d attempt to quell the negative reaction of losing such an amazing ride. Maybe between now and EU, shrek does finally get replaced with SLoP to help ease that transition. Maybe they start a kidzone or FFL expansion the year prior to dropping Mummy.

They might totally screw it all up. We all know they’re capable of that. But they also might surprise us and do something incredible. Because we know they’re capable of that as well.

No, the issue here is that people are upset their favorite attraction is going to close, possibly soon (5-6 years is soon in theme park world), we're obviously upset by this inside information given to us, then you tell everyone to take a Xanax because any attraction can close. We know that, but it doesn't mean we can't be upset. You also can't tie all those arguments into 1 as those aren't my thoughts, more of a collective thought of the entire forum so its not really fair to address me, with that. You can't say we're going on random tangents when you yourself said this may close sooner than later, possibly after EU, barring any any changes. That sounds like information to me!

If you're going to give out information like Mummy potentially closing not long after EU, you're going to garner a reaction. Sorry, but what do you expect? I feel sometimes to insiders here release info, we react, then they complain bout the reaction. You created this conversation and we've obviously carried it on. I don't think thats on us, the posters, to be discussing a possible attraction closing as a bad thing or being part of the "outrage mob". You also mentioning its a post EU project adds to the discussion, not "no ulterior meaning". Little things like that are what spark discussions on forums, I really don't understand what you guys expect sometimes. I certainly appreciate the info we get, truly, and the work that is put into this site, but that doesn't mean we can't be upset about it when a lot of us are invested in these parks and strongly believe other things need to be done first in order to improve the parks/resorts. I don't expect another F&F and am too annoyed with posters who won't let that 1 attraction go, but people are upset when a favorite ride is about to go. You can't respond with "get over it".

Everyone was upset about Jaws, then we got Diagon Alley. We all certainly know any attraction can close at anytime and this ride didnt have an endless life, but when there are other areas of the park that needs to be addressed its completely fair to be upset this seems to be where they put their work in first.

A las, onto my first cup of coffee for the day.
Here's the predicament, though - every ride is, invariably, on the chopping block. It's all just a matter of when. So, when @Brian G. provides information with the additional advise to "make peace" with the time frame, he's actually telling you "Get over something that should have already been expected." Universal replaces its rides. It does that because 1) space is limited and 2) their rides hew more advanced, third-party builds. A lot of Disney's older rides (since that was brought up as a comparison) are developed in house, so Disney actually has the ability to continue manufacturing replacement parts as long as they want. Universal doesn't have that, so when a ride system nears the end of its life-cycle (anywhere from 20-30 years of continuous use), they have to consider replacing it before it becomes too risky to continue running.

KidZone, for all of its faults, doesn't require expensive replacement parts to continue running. The playground was built entirely in house, the coaster is a still supported, off-the-shelf attraction, and the show is a show. Apart from the relevance of the IPs (which isn't a huge factor), there is no external reason forcing its replacement. With Mummy, there is. It's an old, complicated ride system.

So, Brian can respond with "get over it," because emotional, knee-jerk, short-sighted responses to inevitable ride closures (that are still half a decade away), aren't actually helpful. I get it. You enjoy the ride. It sucks when a favorite attraction closes (it's happened to me a few times). But it's going to happen eventually, whether you like it or not. So make peace with it, and start thinking about what they can do to replace it.

Personally, I elect they build that "thesis" ride that's a Universal version of the Great Movie ride.

Here's the predicament, though - every ride is, invariably, on the chopping block. It's all just a matter of when. So, when @Brian G. provides information with the additional advise to "make peace" with the time frame, he's actually telling you "Get over something that should have already been expected." Universal replaces its rides. It does that because 1) space is limited and 2) their rides hew more advanced, third-party builds. A lot of Disney's older rides (since that was brought up as a comparison) are developed in house, so Disney actually has the ability to continue manufacturing replacement parts as long as they want. Universal doesn't have that, so when a ride system nears the end of its life-cycle (anywhere from 20-30 years of continuous use), they have to consider replacing it before it becomes too risky to continue running.

KidZone, for all of its faults, doesn't require expensive replacement parts to continue running. The playground was built entirely in house, the coaster is a still supported, off-the-shelf attraction, and the show is a show. Apart from the relevance of the IPs (which isn't a huge factor), there is no external reason forcing its replacement. With Mummy, there is. It's an old, complicated ride system.

So, Brian can respond with "get over it," because emotional, knee-jerk, short-sighted responses to inevitable ride closures (that are still half a decade away), aren't actually helpful. I get it. You enjoy the ride. It sucks when a favorite attraction closes (it's happened to me a few times). But it's going to happen eventually, whether you like it or not. So make peace with it, and start thinking about what they can do to replace it.

Personally, I elect they build that "thesis" ride that's a Universal version of the Great Movie ride.
See this is my issue, why am I not allowed to be upset about a ride closing? You both seem to be missing my point. Its not that its closing and they can't build something on par, or better than, the current Mummy. I don't doubt that, nor is that the issue. Nor am I surprised to hear Mummy may be replaced soon. But, whats frustrating is telling us to basically shut up when we're upset our favorite attraction is going to close soon because "tough luck". What kind of vibe is that supposed to send here?

I understand the intent, but do you really expect people to not be upset over a favorite ride closing? We have no idea and won't have any idea on whats replacing it, so the only discussion we can have on the attraction is now that? I really just don't get you guys sometimes. I, personally at least, never debated whether Mummy would live forever or not. I do think Kidzone should be tackled beforehand, but you guys can't just brush over the fact a fan favorite ride is gonna close and "move on" on the same thread, same day, even same page that you just posted that info on! Like, give us time to digest it before telling us to chill.

If this was the reaction post EU opening, I get your guys perspective but I really think telling us to "take a Xanax" about just being upset a ride is going to go is ridiculous and arrogant. Cause why bother loving the parks and certain rides and getting connected to them if I'm just waiting for it to close and be something else? Thats just that vibe I get from you guys and I don't understand it fully.

Again, I get its old and costs a lot to run, and something new and better can be built in prime real estate. But I an still be upset about the ride closing, theres a difference, and I see nothing wrong with that.