Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

Everybody keeps talking about what ride needs retracked like it happens all the time. It’s incredibly rare. Universal has done it once, for the first time in their history. Disneyland space mountain got a new track in what, 2004 or so? To my knowledge, Matterhorn never has. And that’s over 60 years old.

Am I missing the frequency of “retracking” that we’re acting like it happens all the time?

The Mummy is indoors and cannot be compared to a coaster from another manufacturer; especially an outdoor coaster. The Mummy is its own animal.
I feel Hulk was a unique circumstance as well in terms of it being iconic/popular and Universal being contractually obligated to upkeep MSHI

Mummy doesn't need a re-tracking, it isn't the slightest bit rough....It does, however need a new braking system

It's less about Mummy needing a re-track and more about Universal showing in the past they are willing to gut and replace.

Point being - All rides, specifically coasters, have a shelf life. They can patch it, they can close seasonally, they can wait and do refurbs every so often, or RIP TEAR KILL.

It's less about Mummy needing a re-track and more about Universal showing in the past they are willing to gut and replace.

Point being - All rides, specifically coasters, have a shelf life. They can patch it, they can close seasonally, they can wait and do refurbs every so often, or RIP TEAR KILL.
Mummy replacement is DOOM confirmed.

Retracks aren't just all or nothing, during refurbishments overall they'll replace segments or do necessary repairs.
Which I know they have done on Matterhorn quite a lot. They've also done it to WDW's SM. Both still need completely new track as they are almost to the point of being unrideable.

Either way, when this whole topic was brought up, it wasn't that Mummy was going down tomorrow for something like this, it was that it's getting to the age where it could be necessary in the years coming up. Or - knowing Universal - the ride will just be replaced.

It's all about popularity and necessity really...Mummy is probably Studios best attraction....But if something better comes along, then it will be out

Don’t know much if the track needs to be replaced, but the ride itself needs some fixing. Needs to be darker, add projection at the end instead of the painted wood pieces, and plus the first AA.

Rides don't age in years. They age in hours/cycles.

Joker's Jinx opened in 1999, so has been operating for 20 years. Now, Six Flags America is a seasonal park, and typical opens 3 days a week between Easter and Memorial Day, 7 days a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and three days a week in October. I did an extremely rough calculation based on those things and figure the park is open about 170 days a year. For the sake of math, I'm going roughly say the park is open 10 hours a day, so the Joker's Jinx runs 1,700 hours a year.

Over 20 years, based on those calculations, Joker's Jinx is 34,000 hours old.

Now, Mummy opened in May 2004, it's been running over 15 years. Big difference is, apart from refurbs (which it rarely gets), park closures and break downs, it's running every day. But, for the sake of argument (and easy math), let's knock a year off it's total "age" and (to account for the aughts), I'll say it only ran 9 hours a day.

9 hours a day * 365 days a year * 14 years = 45,990 hours old.

So, even though Jinx is old by opening date, these conceptual calculations show Mummy has almost 11,000 hours of more tear. It would take Jinx 7 more years (based on how it operates) to get to the same wear level.

But, let's extend this thought experiment. Let's say Mummy closes in 2025 without a refurb (so, 5 more years), and the park now runs it 10 hours a day.

10 hours * 365 * 5 years = 18,250 hours. That puts it at 64,240 hours of approximate run time before closure.

Based on Six Flags seasonal operations, it would take Joker's Jinx another 17 years to get the same amount of total run time.

So, a ride at Universal that last twenty years can last thirty-five to forty years in a seasonal park. That's why they operate on a different time frame. For reference, Hulk was replaced at approximately 45,000 hours. Dragons closed at over 50,000 hours.

One of the big differences between Disney and Universal is that Disney will take down their signature rides for a few months for refurbishments. That extends their lifetimes. Universal can rarely afford to do that.
Universal should do refurbs more often

Universal should do refurbs more often
Universal does refurb, they just don’t do the refurbs to put band aids on the things that are broken like Disney does. Because Universal doesn’t let the stuff get to the point where it’s breaking. They just have a different style and I happen to like it more honestly.

They know in the long term doing patchwork refurbs will end up being as expensive if not more than just replacing so why waste the time. If there’s a problem, Universal tries to fix things over a period of time at night instead of taking the ride off-line.

Universal does refurb, they just don’t do the refurbs to put band aids on the things that are broken like Disney does. Because Universal doesn’t let the stuff get to the point where it’s breaking. They just have a different style and I happen to like it more honestly.

They know in the long term doing patchwork refurbs will end up being as expensive if not more than just replacing so why waste the time. If there’s a problem, Universal tries to fix things over a period of time at night instead of taking the ride off-line.
I think the issue is that many of the rides with things to break are some of their most popular attractions

I can't imagine Mummy being closed is met with happiness

I think the issue is that many of the rides with things to break are some of their most popular attractions

I can't imagine Mummy being closed is met with happiness
Like I said, Universal does overnight refurbs essentially. They literally did one on this ride. Remember when effects weren’t working and fire went away? They fixed it all without ever closing to day guests.

Universal only does extended refurbs if it’s absolutely necessary or if it’s annual maintenance like with the water rides.

Like I said, Universal does overnight refurbs essentially. They literally did one on this ride. Remember when effects weren’t working and fire went away? They fixed it all without ever closing to day guests.

Universal only does extended refurbs if it’s absolutely necessary or if it’s annual maintenance like with the water rides.
And they actually added new effects as of late!

If revenge of the mummy does get replaced eventually should they take a chance and retheme it to Tom Cruise’s mummy from 2017 if not what else could go in here to replace ROTM?

If revenge of the mummy does get replaced eventually should they take a chance and retheme it to Tom Cruise’s mummy from 2017 if not what else could go in here to replace ROTM?
0 chance at that. If it’s replaced it will be completely changed to another ride. Not going to change to a failed movie for now reason.

0 chance at that. If it’s replaced it will be completely changed to another ride. Not going to change to a failed movie for now reason.
I see well what else could replace revenge of the mummy I can’t think of anything right now that’s if the ride gets replaced in the near future or maybe it will stay for a good while.

I see well what else could replace revenge of the mummy I can’t think of anything right now that’s if the ride gets replaced in the near future or maybe it will stay for a good while.
Only thing I could see happening would a retheme to the more timeless 30’s Mummy (or Monsters). However I doubt that due to Epic Universe having an entire monsters land.

Only thing I could see happening would a retheme to the more timeless 30’s Mummy (or Monsters). However I doubt that due to Epic Universe having an entire monsters land.
Same I would like to see a Godzilla attraction go here I don’t know if it would do good at universal or not but I don’t know if Universal has the rights to use Toho properties in their parks.