Future of Toon Lagoon | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Toon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Galaxy Defender

V.I.P. Member
Oct 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
The future of Toon Lagoon has been discussed in other threads but seemed like it was worth its own discussion. The theater area is generic so it can come or go at any time. Universal is acquiring Dreamworks, which has the rights to Jay Ward which I believe covers Dudley Do Right. Not sure if they want to keep that but at least they can do so without renewing a contract. This leaves the Kings Features area.

Someone on this forum a while back posted part of an SEC filing that stated the contract was up in 2018. II have tried to find the post without success, but hopefully one of you can repost it there. The contract did state that any Kings Features area had to have the River Barge ride. I have never heard anyone suggest it would be renewed. The license is just not making Universal much money except maybe for Popeye and Betty Boop. Universal Studios did just turn part of the old Lucy store into Betty Boop, but they could always drop the overall license and go for just a couple of IPs like Nickelodeon/Spongebob. So it seems logical that the center of Toon Lagoon would have to start being replaced in 2018.

Speculation in the past has revolved around replacing the entire area with something like Lord of the Rings. Since that did not pan out or is still hoped for in a third park the idea of keeping the area as Toon Lagoon but replacing some/all of the toons seems like the most likely possibility. It has been speculated that the area would be replaced in phases with SLOP/theater replacement being phase one. The replacement of Kings Features could be its own first phase.

If the area is to remain Toon Lagoon then that leaves open the possibility of an overlay change instead of starting over. Not sure how that would work but it might make it go faster.

My guess is that the Jay Ward area stays for a while but is a later project. Kings Features area is gone in 2018 for Dreamworks/Dreamworks Classics IPs and SLOP could start any time since it is off to the side (assuming it goes in this area at all).

The future of Toon Lagoon has been discussed in other threads but seemed like it was worth its own discussion. The theater area is generic so it can come or go at any time. Universal is acquiring Dreamworks, which has the rights to Jay Ward which I believe covers Dudley Do Right. Not sure if they want to keep that but at least they can do so without renewing a contract. This leaves the Kings Features area.

Someone on this forum a while back posted part of an SEC filing that stated the contract was up in 2018. II have tried to find the post without success, but hopefully one of you can repost it there. The contract did state that any Kings Features area had to have the River Barge ride. I have never heard anyone suggest it would be renewed. The license is just not making Universal much money except maybe for Popeye and Betty Boop. Universal Studios did just turn part of the old Lucy store into Betty Boop, but they could always drop the overall license and go for just a couple of IPs like Nickelodeon/Spongebob. So it seems logical that the center of Toon Lagoon would have to start being replaced in 2018.

Speculation in the past has revolved around replacing the entire area with something like Lord of the Rings. Since that did not pan out or is still hoped for in a third park the idea of keeping the area as Toon Lagoon but replacing some/all of the toons seems like the most likely possibility. It has been speculated that the area would be replaced in phases with SLOP/theater replacement being phase one. The replacement of Kings Features could be its own first phase.

If the area is to remain Toon Lagoon then that leaves open the possibility of an overlay change instead of starting over. Not sure how that would work but it might make it go faster.

My guess is that the Jay Ward area stays for a while but is a later project. Kings Features area is gone in 2018 for Dreamworks/Dreamworks Classics IPs and SLOP could start any time since it is off to the side (assuming it goes in this area at all).

King Features is revamping Popeye under Fox Animation for 2018 and creating an adult geared Betty Boop animated series for Primetime. I doubt its going anywhere soon.

Also, can we stop the speculation that Nick/Spongebob will ever be expanded in the parks in any way now that Uni is going to own Dreamworks? I see no reason for them to ever license a Nick property now that they have a built in good kids IP. Not to mention Nintendo.

As for Toon Lagoon, I think it is staying for awhile longer. They have bigger fish to fry right now.

Reactions: Mike S and Ryno27
Also, can we stop the speculation that Nick/Spongebob will ever be expanded in the parks in any way now that Uni is going to own Dreamworks? I see no reason for them to ever license a Nick property now that they have a built in good kids IP. Not to mention Nintendo.

As for Toon Lagoon, I think it is staying for awhile longer. They have bigger fish to fry right now.
Unless Comcast was to take them off of Viacom's hands. Then it would give Comcast/Uni a kids TV network to compete with Disney. Nick is broken right now, but it's nothing that can't be saved with proper management changes.

Reactions: Macfr3ak
Unless Comcast was to take them off of Viacom's hands. Then it would give Comcast/Uni a kids TV network to compete with Disney. Nick is broken right now, but it's nothing that can't be saved with proper management changes.

Agreed. Obviously if they buy them it would be a different story. But if they don't own them, I see no reason at this point with the current properties they will own or have the rights to that they even consider Nick for anything. The last part of Nick will be removed when Nintendo comes in.

Reactions: Macfr3ak
I'd argue SpongeBob and TMNT, both Nick properties, are worthy of expanded presences in the parks.

I just don't see the need. They have so many IPs under their belt either via owning it or already having the rights, why spend money on something else?

And did you hear about Nick being used before or after DW being bought?

If Viacom were to ever really breathe life into Nickelodeon and reinvigorate the franchise then there is the potential for Nickelodeon attractions to be even more successful and popular than DreamWorks attractions, because with the right Nickelodeon IPs you would ALSO have the nostalgia factor for adults.

Spongebob stopped being good after the first movie came out and I can't really say anything about TMNT. What are the chances Universal makes their own Dudley Do Right movie now that they own it? I say they should keep Toon Lagoon but almost completely start over with Popeye and Dudley being the only survivors. They got way more than just the films when they got DreamWorks and they should use them. Don't they own Rocky & Bullwinkle now too?