General Movies & TV Thread | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

General Movies & TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saw Bullet Train last night. The proceedings are very stylistic, and the violence is fairly bloody. The character work is also pretty well done. In the end, I can’t deny that the first and third acts are quite messy and VERY convoluted, but Bullet Train remains consistently bonkers and highly entertaining throughout. It’s definitely flawed, but doesn’t deserve the hate it’s received from some. It’s probably 4 stars for me.

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero is a fun movie for fans, the action is well done, has funny jokes, moves the main plot along and let’s side characters finally take the enter stage. If you liked the Android Saga this should be a fun ride

Shouting out two awesome looking arthouse movies whose trailers dropped this week: Sam Mendes's heartwarming bittersweet magic-of-movies movie EMPIRE OF LIGHT, shot by the great Roger Deakins, and Todd Field's first movie in 14 years, TAR, a very strange and enigmatic and deeply creepy looking thriller starring Cate Blanchett.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Saw Fire of love, Amazing film

Not my favorite film from this year but its the best I've seen. Just some amazing footage and one of the most amazing real stories I've ever been told

If you can see it in theaters go and enjoy

Reactions: rageofthegods
Saw Fire of love, Amazing film

Not my favorite film from this year but its the best I've seen. Just some amazing footage and one of the most amazing real stories I've ever been told

If you can see it in theaters go and enjoy
I plan on watching it, but will wait until it goes to Disney+.

Saw The Woman King solid 8/10 film. Think it should have been moved to the last week of summer or Memorial weekend so it could make more.

Also two thoughts after seeing the film

1) The movie is obviously a movie with lots of culture thrown in but think its ridiculous many dont want this film to be made because they were slavers....so everyone is fine with Elvis sleeping with underage girls? Greatest Showman is based on a real POS person and we have tons of films set in America with slaves or slave owners and they aren't always "bad" George Washington owned slaves. My point is we are going to limit what story's we can tell if only "angles" get to have their stories told or made.

2) Lashana Lynch played a really cool and fun character and god...does it feel like the MCU just didn't know how talented she is and put her in pretty meh roles compared to what she can do as an actress, same with her casting on Bond. Along with John Boyega being very good, it seems like Disney and many other big companies cast these great actors in roles...that go no where and really make you think they are just ok actors when they are just great but main stream writers seem to not know how to write these actors characters better to let them show off how charming, funny or intimidating they can be

Saw The Woman King solid 8/10 film. Think it should have been moved to the last week of summer or Memorial weekend so it could make more.

1) The movie is obviously a movie with lots of culture thrown in but think its ridiculous many dont want this film to be made because they were slavers....so everyone is fine with Elvis sleeping with underage girls? Greatest Showman is based on a real POS person and we have tons of films set in America with slaves or slave owners and they aren't always "bad" George Washington owned slaves. My point is we are going to limit what story's we can tell if only "angles" get to have their stories told or made.

2) Lashana Lynch played a really cool and fun character and god...does it feel like the MCU just didn't know how talented she is and put her in pretty meh roles compared to what she can do as an actress, same with her casting on Bond. Along with John Boyega being very good, it seems like Disney and many other big companies cast these great actors in roles...that go no where and really make you think they are just ok actors when they are just great but main stream writers seem to not know how to write these actors characters better to let them show off how charming, funny or intimidating they can be

Seconded on Lashana Lynch, she and Glen Powell are the blockbuster, star-is-born performances of this year.

Was "The Woman King" really the best title they could come up with? Reminds me of Netflix's "Money Heist"

Was "The Woman King" really the best title they could come up with? Reminds me of Netflix's "Money Heist"
Title at least in the movie has meaning. So maybe that is why the name

It's weird to me in the age of the internet names can push people away...its like Dr Sleep. Didn't make much because it wasn't advertised as the Shine 2 or but the film was great. Do people really not see cool trailer and just see movies?

Its just a weird time for movies, critics and people online complain about the lack of none IP films yet they dont see anything that isn't an IP from the past.

Title at least in the movie has meaning. So maybe that is why the name

It's weird to me in the age of the internet names can push people away...its like Dr Sleep. Didn't make much because it wasn't advertised as the Shine 2 or but the film was great. Do people really not see cool trailer and just see movies?

Its just a weird time for movies, critics and people online complain about the lack of none IP films yet they dont see anything that isn't an IP from the past.
I don't see movies based on titles obviously. But always funny to me that these studios have marketing wizzes making probably beyond 6 figures and thats what they come up with.

Hocus pocus 2
I hate when they just rehash everything from an earlier movie ( like dumb and dumber 2)

This might as well be a remake. Nothing new thats interesting

MOVIES THIS WEEK:

The Banshees Of Inirsherin: 100% on 82 Reviews on RT <-- When was the last time this happened??

Black Adam - 47% on 47 reviews on RT

Reactions: SeventyOne
Watched the first 3 episodes of Interview with the Vampire. Minor spoilers for this, the 1976 book and the 1990s films may follow, but nothing major.

Overall it's been highly watchable so far. The production value is gorgeous, like an HBO show--- does an even better job of recreating 1910s (yeah, more on that below) New Orleans than even The Gilded Age did with NYC. Special effects are used sparingly but generally look great. The story is engaging, but again, more on that below.

I don't recognize either lead, but both are great onscreen. This is the best live-action Lestat. He perfectly captures the character from the first book, the mix of magnetic charisma and petulance. He also sounds convincingly French.

Louis is played by an actor with amazing screen presence, He owns every scene he's in. Here's the thing -- this isn't the previously established Louis. Rather than a 1700s white plantation owner, this is a 1910s black businessman, with siblings I believe added to the story (they certainly didn't make as much of a mark in the book if they're there). He has a forceful personality, unlike book Louis, showing agency before and after meeting Lestat. He's a better, more interesting character than book Louis in every way. But until the final minute of episode 3, this may as well have been a retconned mid-quel--"oh yeah, btw Lestat woke up for a while and returned to NOLA in the early 20th century, he just never talked about it"--as the lead character and his arc are so different. It looks like this may track more closely with the book going forward, which is a shame, this somewhat new tale was a refreshing addition to the Anne Rice universe.

Louis was Grey Worm on GoT.

Agreed on Interview-- so far really good.

We just started Reboot on Hulu and I am really enjoying it. It's got great comic timing and is very "meta" bout being meta. It's Steven Levitan's (Modern Family) comic rhythm, and feels very 30 Rock in the script (show about making a show).

Reactions: SeventyOne