Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Trip Advice?!

Aug 7, 2018
So, Im finally returning to Universal this fall! I cant help it with all the Potter stuff right now I just can't wait. Ive booked for the fall! I have not been here since Pre Volcano Bay, so I have a few general questions.

- For Volcano Bay, better to arrive early or late if you want a good chair on the beach? My boyfriend and I will likely ride the Aqua Coaster, and he may do a few new slides but we're mainly there for the environment. More concerned about seating rather than wait times if that makes sense.

- Never been during HHN. We aren't huge horror fans although we do enjoy Halloween type of events but Im not sure id love this one lol. We aren't scary cats but at same time things popping out at us isn't a total idea of fun. I feel I need to experience this one time though, so how far in advance do tickets sell out? Not sure how the process for HHN works.

- Other than Bigfire, any restaurant recommendations at the resort? Haven't been able to venture out as much in the past. We've done Vivo, Cowfish, NBC, and Toothsome on occasion. We plan to have one "fancy" dinner at the Palm at the Hard Rock, but Im pretty unfamiliar with the rest of City Walk. Any good reviews on Antojitos, Pat Obrians, Red Oven Pizza, Breadbox? Never been, so Im open to any advice.

Sorry if this is a lot lol I just have a few specific questions on things I have yet to do at Universal! So exciting my favorite place on earth has got a few brand new things for me to try! Thanks in advance everyone!

So, Im finally returning to Universal this fall! I cant help it with all the Potter stuff right now I just can't wait. Ive booked for the fall! I have not been here since Pre Volcano Bay, so I have a few general questions.

- VB...

- HHN...

- CW...

Hey COC!

I go down every year and just got back from our 8th trip in 6 years. Hers's what we think (not sure if it qualifies as advice!).

VB: definitely rope drop if you want to ride the aqua coaster. I have a recent VB trip report that hopefully answers the VB questions.

HHN: we do not do :/

CW: Take a look at the online menus to see what they have.

Andojitos is a fav. Their regular "burrito" is my go-to and their margaritas are great. The table-side guacamole is a big hit, but we have never ordered that. Get a "bird-cage seat" if you want to sit inside. Also, scary baby-dolls.

Pat O'Brien's is a must for us. Menu is above average, drinks are great (looking at you, Hurricane) and the piano players are the best. We usually go when there is just one player (dueling pianos usually start around 9:00), and my 12-yr-old loves bring up requests written on napkins and putting dollar bills in the tip jar. The most fun in a CW restaurant by far, if you participate.

Have fun!

HHN is my favorite event of the year and you should definitely experience it at least once. The way they transform the park and the atmosphere, it's really fun. It's not that scary walking through the streets but the houses could be scary.

I would recommend eating at Island's Dining at Royal Pacific. They do this Asian stir fried buffet on Friday's and Saturday's, it's really good.

Last edited:
Hey COC!

I go down every year and just got back from our 8th trip in 6 years. Hers's what we think (not sure if it qualifies as advice!).

VB: definitely rope drop if you want to ride the aqua coaster. I have a recent VB trip report that hopefully answers the VB questions.

HHN: we do not do :/

CW: Take a look at the online menus to see what they have.

Andojitos is a fav. Their regular "burrito" is my go-to and their margaritas are great. The table-side guacamole is a big hit, but we have never ordered that. Get a "bird-cage seat" if you want to sit inside. Also, scary baby-dolls.

Pat O'Brien's is a must for us. Menu is above average, drinks are great (looking at you, Hurricane) and the piano players are the best. We usually go when there is just one player (dueling pianos usually start around 9:00), and my 12-yr-old loves bring up requests written on napkins and putting dollar bills in the tip jar. The most fun in a CW restaurant by far, if you participate.

Have fun!

Great advice, thanks bunch! Was hoping to hear good things about Pat O'Brien's. Seems like a super fun atmosphere to make a returning trip to. I don't mind waiting all day for the aqua coaster if need be but I'm more a morning person anyways so id be happy to be there for rope drop.

Great advice, thanks bunch! Was hoping to hear good things about Pat O'Brien's. Seems like a super fun atmosphere to make a returning trip to. I don't mind waiting all day for the aqua coaster if need be but I'm more a morning person anyways so id be happy to be there for rope drop.
Pat O'Brien's piano bar is always lots of fun.Exactly like the one in Newlins. Get there before 9:00 PM and you don't have to pay an entrance fee. Marley's also has good live bands nightly.

Pat O'Brien's piano bar is always lots of fun.Exactly like the one in Newlins. Get there before 9:00 PM and you don't have to pay an entrance fee. Marley's also has good live bands nightly.

Awesome, ya Pat's seems like my kind of vibe perfectly. Marley's I've never gone into to be honest. But, Im wanting to expand on my Uni dining so I think I'm gonna try and give it a shot.

Now for anyone who eats a bit fancy, do you recommend The Palm or Mama Della's more? Big fan of both cuisines.

Awesome, ya Pat's seems like my kind of vibe perfectly. Marley's I've never gone into to be honest. But, Im wanting to expand on my Uni dining so I think I'm gonna try and give it a shot.

Now for anyone who eats a bit fancy, do you recommend The Palm or Mama Della's more? Big fan of both cuisines.
The Palm and Mama Della's are two different level restaurants. Bice at Portofino would be more comparable to The Palm. I prefer the Palm, though both are 'very' expensive. Bice has mostly overpriced Italian dishes that are, in reality, inexpensive when it comes to ingredients. But their prices are 'very' expensive. Mama Della's has a really nice ambiance. The dining areas are themed to an old time Italian guest house type restaurant. And they also have the same strolling musicians that do the evening Italian music piazza balcony show. Their prices are moderate and their food is somewhat similar to a good, but not overly expensive, local Italian restaurant.

Hey Guys,
I didn't know where to ask this question but here goes. Have any of you bought tickets from Undercover Tourist. I happen to land on this site and my Uni Tix are over$100 cheaper as compared to Uni website. Any info would be greatly appreciated.