George Kalogridis taking over TDO next year | Inside Universal Forums

George Kalogridis taking over TDO next year

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 15, 2012
NYC
As is the MagiQuest rumor wasn't enough for you, here's a rumor just as exciting from a member named WDW1974 at WDWMagic:

I've sorta let this cat (no, not calling Georgie any feline names) out of the bag, so might as well give y'all something to talk about (other than Kevin Yee's excellent column this week).

Current DLR Prez George Kalogridis, who was spotted touring Florida Governor Rick 'Voldemort' Scott around the New Fantasyland Media Party a few weeks back will be taking over as head of WDW in early 2013 and replacing fan punching bag (punchline?) Meg Crofton as top exec of WDW Co.

Apparently, the time is contingent on contracts and when Meg wishes to step down.

I have gotten conflicting information as to whether George will assume Meg's current position, which under One Disney gives her effective leadership over Anaheim and Paris, or simply the role Al Weiss (who I spotted at EPCOT Thursday night) had as WDW President. George has operational experience at all three resorts, but One Disney isn't exactly working as Burbank had hoped and there's been talk of scaling back. But being unique in his experience, George might be the one guy who could make that position work.

As to who will be the next head at TDA's revolving presidential office, I've heard two names bandied about (one who is well known out there).

Oh, yeah, sorry if you missed me, but I was in O-Town for much of the week and no time for online fun while trying to avoid bloggers (honestly, you can't step five feet in WDW without tripping over one).

If this rumors is true I'm extremely happy. Your thoughts?

Hmmmm, Fire Mountain is a ??? for me. Elaborate?

From Wikipedia,

A roller coaster ride through an active volcano, planned for the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. The ride would have started like the Matterhorn Bobsleds but a lava spout accompanied by fissures would have sent the cars flying in the air. It was originally intended for Adventureland or was to replace 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea at Fantasyland.

Yeah, I saw GK at the What's Not Next Press Conference. There was much buzz over why he was there.

GK has been present when some very cool things have happened at various Disney Parks around the globe. Whether he was actually responsible for them getting done or not. He has a knack of really good timing. That said he has a really good sense about how to operate theme parks.

This is good news. Not the mass layoffs and reshuffling that is needed, but a step in the right direction.

Combine this with DtD & DHS rumors, I think we could be seeing Disney actually trying to invest again.

This is good news. Not the mass layoffs and reshuffling that is needed, but a step in the right direction.

Combine this with DtD & DHS rumors, I think we could be seeing Disney actually trying to invest again.

No one said that this move was the extent of the changes. Because it is not. Most of Meg's flying monkeys should be and are shopping their resumes around. I just hope that they stay far away from Universal.

I suspect given the small size of the "theme park executive community" here in Orlando, Uni may have an eye out for a specific few that will get tossed out with the bath water. But I believe they know exactly who they would want by name. Otherwise I don't believe most have a shot at getting in Universal. Universal just clawed there way out of a massive hole that was caused by exactly what ills WDW now.

Meh.

Georgie K has lived off the momentum from Matt Ouimet at Disneyland. He's better than what we have...but I'm not doing backflips.
Matt is a stud. GK has masterful timing. But he does have a passion for the product and operations experience. Plus I hear he may get his own Meet and Greet! HAHA.