Ghost in the Shell (2017) | Inside Universal Forums

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
The first official trailer for the upcoming adaptation of the "Ghost in the Shell" series has been released.

"Ghost in the Shell" is being directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) with the screenplay written by Jonathan Herman (Straight outta Compton) and Jamie Ross as the film will star Scarlet Johannson as The Major as the film will release on March 31st, 2017.

Are you guy's excited to see how they adapt the original Japanese Manga/Anime to the big screen? What do you guys think of the apparent 'Whitewashing' controversy of the film? Comment below!!

Reactions: anihilnation
Excited, though I hope they keep the rich philosophical speculation that was present in the anime. I don't really have an opinion on the whitewashing.

The first official trailer for the upcoming adaptation of the "Ghost in the Shell" series has been released.

"Ghost in the Shell" is being directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) with the screenplay written by Jonathan Herman (Straight outta Compton) and Jamie Ross as the film will star Scarlet Johannson as The Major as the film will release on March 31st, 2017.

Are you guy's excited to see how they adapt the original Japanese Manga/Anime to the big screen? What do you guys think of the apparent 'Whitewashing' controversy of the film? Comment below!!

Its not really white washing when in the anime she had blue eyes, purple black hair and far skin which Scarlet fits all of those so I'm not bothered. My issue is it doesn't look as good as it could be.

The film's review embargo has been lifted, which is sitting at a 65% with sites like Variety, Collider, Guardian, Empire, and The Wrap giving rather good looks on it.

Ghost in The Shell has while, failed domestically; is surpassing the production budget internationally and that it could actually make profit internationally; as it is already at 124 million.

Ghost in The Shell has while, failed domestically; is surpassing the production budget internationally and that it could actually make profit internationally; as it is already at 124 million.

Your international numbers include the domestic. Currently the international gross is $93 million.

Haven't seen it, but from what I heard it is pretty much as I expect it to be, visually great, but philosophically lacking, so nice body with little brains lol. Something like Ghost in the Shell or Neon Genesis Evangelion is really all about the philosophical content.

Ghost in the Shell has made over 165 million, and while most of the film's BO is from overseas; it does bode well.

Depending on the budget of the film for marketing, this will make profit.

Ghost in the Shell has made over 165 million, and while most of the film's BO is from overseas; it does bode well.

Depending on the budget of the film for marketing, this will make profit.

Budget was $150 mil. Marketing prob $50-70. Films like that need to clear at least $250-300 domestically these days to be considered for sequels.

Budget was $150 mil. Marketing prob $50-70. Films like that need to clear at least $250-300 domestically these days to be considered for sequels.

I saw it was 110, not 150.

Maybe I could be seeing the wrong thing, but that's what I thought I saw.

EDIT: Checking it, and the more I see; the more it is 110. Perhaps you may be confusing this and The Great Wall?

I saw it was 110, not 150.

Maybe I could be seeing the wrong thing, but that's what I thought I saw.

EDIT: Checking it, and the more I see; the more it is 110. Perhaps you may be confusing this and The Great Wall?

BOM said it was $150, but Wiki lists it at $110. Either way, found this quote:

"Deadline reported that the film is expected to lose at least $60 million, due to significant advertising costs."

BOM said it was $150, but Wiki lists it at $110. Either way, found this quote:

"Deadline reported that the film is expected to lose at least $60 million, due to significant advertising costs."

I've checked from sites like THR, Variety, Vanity Fair, and Forbes have said that the film is budgeted in production that it is 110.

And I also checked BOM, and it say's 110 for Production Budget.

Rule of thumb, double the budget for cost.

So, the Del Toro approach?

I've checked from sites like THR, Variety, Vanity Fair, and Forbes have said that the film is budgeted in production that it is 110.

And I also checked BOM, and it say's 110 for Production Budget.

So, the Del Toro approach?

It was much closer to 150. I say that with some authority.

It'll be a write-off.

And generally foreign profit percentages for films are less than Domestic takes.

Not always. It's highly dependent on the studio and the country. Universal distributes Sony and Paramount films in certain countries which adds in a middle man that wasn't there before so it cuts off funds for Sony/Paramount but increases the take for Universal. China and Japan end up less than domestic except for home video as no outside studios are allowed to theatrically distribute it themselves whereas in Europe most countries can distribute themselves.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Not always. It's highly dependent on the studio and the country. Universal distributes Sony and Paramount films in certain countries which adds in a middle man that wasn't there before so it cuts off funds for Sony/Paramount but increases the take for Universal. China and Japan end up less than domestic except for home video as no outside studios are allowed to theatrically distribute it themselves whereas in Europe most countries can distribute themselves.
Yes, those middle men erode the profits. Additionally, in many countries, the percentages that go to the theaters is not as much in favor of the Studios as it is domestically. While, as you pointed out, there are differences, the sum total is that Studios percentage take "overall" internationally is less than it is domestically. So you can't really extrapolate the profit being incurred domestically on international take. But, that is as a totality, since, as you pointed out, there are some exceptions.

Reactions: quinnmac000