Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Godzilla vs. Kong

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
The aniticpated matchup between the 8th wonder of the world, versus the iconic legend; Godzilla, will now be releasing on March 13th, 2020.

LeBron James' 'Space Jam 2' Books Summer 2021 Release Date | Hollywood Reporter

Godzilla vs. Kong, was moved up; previously from a May 2020 release to March, in response to various things going around.

Godzilla vs. Kong, will be directed by Adam Wingard (Death Note, You're Next) with the screenplay written by Terry Rossio.

Lol, why in the world would Netflix or HBOMax pay over $200M for what looks like a steaming pile of garbage?
You saw it please enlighten the rest of us?

but in reality it’s king vs Kong, winner take all in the battle of Titans.

it’s what the people want

what we need

not what we deserve....right now

and in the the end the King of the Monsters will be crowned.

well he was already crowned and will just retain it while he mops the floor with the over grown gorilla lol

all hail GOJIRA!!!!!

sorry for the rant

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night!!!!

Im spent

You saw it please enlighten the rest of us?

but in reality it’s king vs Kong, winner take all in the battle of Titans.

it’s what the people want

what we need

not what we deserve....right now

and in the the end the King of the Monsters will be crowned.

well he was already crowned and will just retain it while he mops the floor with the over grown gorilla lol

all hail GOJIRA!!!!!

sorry for the rant

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night!!!!

Im spent

How dare you.

cant wait!
To each their own. But after the last movie and how bad the trailers have looked for this thing, I can’t possibly find it in myself to get excited. I’d have to hear really good reviews for me to even care to watch it and it’d be included with my subscription.

To each their own. But after the last movie and how bad the trailers have looked for this thing, I can’t possibly find it in myself to get excited. I’d have to hear really good reviews for me to even care to watch it and it’d be included with my subscription.
Any scenes that dont involve the monsters are probably gonna be garbage, but thats been true for nearly every monster movie since the dawn of time so it's not too egregious of a sin

The last movie was great! A terrific, big budget Heisei Godzilla movie.

Also there hasn’t been any GvK trailers released yet

The last movie was great! A terrific, big budget Heisei Godzilla movie.

Also there hasn’t been any GvK trailers released yet
I guess i'm just not a fan of monster movies. I thought a trailer had dropped, but maybe it was just all of the reports of the production issues on this film (pre-COVID) that made me think this was gonna be a trainwreck. On top of the fact that the last film was one as well lol. I'll continue to stand by that.

In reality I own Godzilla 2014, Kong: Skull Island 2017, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters 2019. Over the last year I have watched Godzilla and Kong once maybe and King of the Monsters at least half a dozen times. I enjoy all but Godzilla is a little to obsessed with trying to be Jaws but forgets jaws is a 20’ shark and Godzilla is a 450’ behemoth, also jaws had likable characters. Kong has a strangeness to it as though it wasn’t quite sure what it wanted to be war, comedy, monster. Godzilla: King of the Monsters knows what it is and doesn’t try to be anything else it is monster destruction and battles with the King reigning, a love letter to those who grew up recording late night sci-fi movie night Monster Island and Ghidora the three headed monster on VHS.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was the American Godzilla movie I had been waiting for since a Super Bowl commercial in 1997 of a T-Rex skeleton being crushed by a massive foot coming through the ceiling of a museum. It was a long time coming but well worth the wait.

The real reason this film could be awful is their choice of director. Edwards and Dougherty are both great directors, but turned in somewhat subpar Godzilla movies (and yes I like seeing monsters fight, but you also need characters you care about to balance it out). Vlought Roberts was an unknown that kinda completely killed it and created the perfect ode to Kong (even if it had an overly large ensemble cast that was literally cut down to half after Kong used a helicopter as a baseball bat to hit other helicopters lmao). Wingard’s history is, messy? People love you’re next, but it’s not one of the greats and definitely has its issues, same with the The Void. Blair Witch and Death Note were both rightly panned for not being great adaptations, which GvK technically is, and seemed to fumble on the basics of translating the themes and tone of each franchise (insert clip of falling wonderwheel in a death note movie). He definitely has his strengths in a lot of the visual storytelling that he does, an important aspect to any monster movie, but I feel it could very likely lack the important emotional edge of some of the more fondly remembered monster movies (King Kong 05, Frankenstein, etc). I’d definitely prefer to see this in theatres once the pandemic is over, since it seems to have very large scale action and effect heavy sequences, which can really look like trash on a non-adjusted HD TV. I genuinely hope it’s good, but I think this will be the last nail in the Monsterverse coffin. I love Godzilla and Kong, but they aren’t characters that can carry a serialized franchise in which they are the stars. Thats why, like them or hate them, you need the human characters to connect with, or else there’s no actual investment in the franchise.

Well all these coments about this possibly not being a good movie are really dissapointing, and might put an end to the WB Monsterverse. I've been really enjoying it, Kong SI & King of Monsters are both really enjoyable fun.

Well all these coments about this possibly not being a good movie are really dissapointing, and might put an end to the WB Monsterverse. I've been really enjoying it, Kong SI & King of Monsters are both really enjoyable fun.
I never really expected the Monsterverse to continue after it to behind with.

I’m just happy I got 2 great big budget Godzilla movies out of it

I've heard production on the movie was close to 'Solo' levels of bad.

If all reports are true then put it to streaming and I’m sure one day in some format it’ll be theatrically released. This just has potential to be so much pure fun I can’t see how they’d screw it up so drastically it’s outright bad. Not necessarily expecting good either but there is a difference there.

I've heard production on the movie was close to 'Solo' levels of bad.
That surprises me a bit since they’ve been hush-hush on the production in many ways, but there is almost a 100% chance this movie flops like Solo (which, probably like this movie, was alright/pretty good in its own right, but not interesting to a general audience). I think people don’t love or hate what’s been done with the Monsterverse because they don’t know it exists. It’s not like the MCU where many characters return in subsequenct films, in fact I remember many wondering where and when KOTM took place and being shocked when told it was a sequel. Godzilla has just never been super successful in Mainstream US culture, and it shows with box office return. KOTM was a disappointment (which sucks since it will now probably prevent Dougherty from making more cult classics), and I think they’re only doing this last movie since they already had invested so much money and time into it. Now, it could be like Kong, which I actively loved, but I’m doubting that due to the heavy emphasis of Godzilla as the main character of the franchise (which is in itself a weird choice since he doesn’t really have a character the way Kong displayed in Skull Island). Also, from here, where do you go? Mothra spin-off (wouldn’t attract audiences), Kong 2 (making it the millionth American Kong movie, which as a whole are being majorly rejudged for certain cultural depictions), Godzilla 3 (KOTM was a disappointment), GvK 2 (seems very unlikely with the lack of hype and importance surrounding the first at this stage), no option really makes sense.

I never really expected the Monsterverse to continue after it to behind with.

I’m just happy I got 2 great big budget Godzilla movies out of it
I never got why they called it the monster verse, obviously because of the MCU, but it's just two Godzilla movies plus kong which ties in a bit.