Going to a Park Solo | Inside Universal Forums

Going to a Park Solo

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Great article! I've been to parks solo a few times and it really is a shame that there is such a stigma to it. It's nice to be able to take in a park at your pace and do what you want.

I love going solo because I'm a fast walker! Large groups are the worst. You're only as fast as the weakest link!

Great article! I've been to parks solo a few times and it really is a shame that there is such a stigma to it. It's nice to be able to take in a park at your pace and do what you want.

While an interesting read, I think the stigma is largely in the author's mind.

Reactions: Eckert
I go solo all the time. My wife is a teacher and my days off are usually during the week. I absolutely love going solo to universal. Singer rider lines are awesome and most of the times I walk right on the ride. I also get to go my pace and enjoy and explore so much I wouldnt get to with a group of people.

There is??? What is it?

I am a selfish sob and hate going with almost anyone...

While an interesting read, I think the stigma is largely in the author's mind.

I think the perception is that if someone is in a theme park by themselves they don't have family or friends to go with. This doesn't logically make sense, no one would think the same thing of someone by themselves in a grocery store for example. I guess the perception is that a visit to a theme park is a group or shared activity kind of like going to a table service restaurant. Personally I enjoy visiting parks both alone and with others. You certainly miss sharing in the experiences with others when you go by yourself but this is definitely offset by your ability to take in what you want without worrying about what anyone else wants. I don't think this is just in the authors mind as he stated he was given a free shake by a cast member who felt sorry for him being by himself. It's a shame that this perception exists but it is definitely there. I have had friends who absolutely will not go to a park by themselves, going by your self can be a great experience and I really think more people should try it.

This year will be my 2nd solo holiday to WDW/Universal, after the first time in 2012 of doing it solo and having the best holiday in ages another trip was booked and I already have the next few years of solo trips in the planning stages also.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Ive been to Disneyland/DCA and Universal Hollywood solo before.
The only time it really blows is if the parking toll both is on the opposite side of the car. It also doesn't feel great when you're asked how many in your party and you say "one" lol.

Reactions: Disneyhead
No stigma at all, I've done solo trips of two and three weeks a few times now, I was weary the first time but have no problems at all now. I like the freedom of it, not worrying what others may or may not want to do is a really luxury at times, don't get me wrong I love going with family and friends but solo trips allow for me to indulge in the things I like to do at a pace I want to do it, I've also made many friends along the way too.

No stigma at all, I've done solo trips of two and three weeks a few times now, I was weary the first time but have no problems at all now. I like the freedom of it, not worrying what others may or may not want to do is a really luxury at times, don't get me wrong I love going with family and friends but solo trips allow for me to indulge in the things I like to do at a pace I want to do it, I've also made many friends along the way too.

You know so many people over here you your solo trips arent even solo anymore :)

Reactions: UK-Trigg
I don't get to do the parks solo too often but when I do, I love it. No other agenda but your own. Most of the time it happens is when the rest of the clan goes to Disney, and I head to the dark side.

I go solo all the time. My wife is a teacher and my days off are usually during the week. I absolutely love going solo to universal. Singer rider lines are awesome and most of the times I walk right on the ride. I also get to go my pace and enjoy and explore so much I wouldnt get to with a group of people.

Same here...teacher wife, I'm off during the week. 90% of my visits are solo and it's wonderful. You can explore whatever you want, eat wherever you want, visit or not visit an attraction. Many of my visits I skip rides completely and just soak up the atmosphere and people watch. I would strongly recommend anyone looking down on this to try it with an open mind.

I figured a lot of people on this board go solo. I thought this was an interesting article because of his reasons why. The idea that the fantasy aspect is heightened without real life discussion or destraction is interesting to me.

Anyway, great article, thought you guys would enjoy it

Reactions: Frogki
I'm a loner so I'm ALWAYS solo and i love it. walk on rides, easy pace, random other solo people trying to make small talk in line, team members feeling sorry for you, noone to tend to but yourself....it's fun.

Reactions: keeper
I love going to the parks by myself. I do travel with family members and friends but I also often go alone. The last time I went alone, I gave myself a challenge and went to all seven major Orlando parks in just 1 day (USF, IOA, SW, Epcot, DHS, AK, MK). I was able to get on at least 1 attraction and have at least once character greeting in each park. No way would that have been realistically possible if I was not alone.

I will say this, as a solo park-goer Universal is WAY easier and enjoyable solo than Disney IMHO. For one, Disney is way more of a family atmosphere but also Disney has so few rides that offer single rider it makes it tough for a solo visit, especially in peak seasons like now. It's why you gotta love Everest, even though I have a hard time spending much time in DAK solo. I've only had one poor solo experience at Universal and that was because the stupid finger print reading machines were acting up.