Grand Avenue & Muppet Courtyard | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Grand Avenue & Muppet Courtyard

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Imo the 2011 movie was passable at best. Outside "Muppet or a Man" it was a pretty forgettable affair
I think it was an expectations thing for me. I had very low expectations for the 2011 movie and it was heartfelt/funny enough to blow those expectations out of the water.

I watched the trailers for Most Wanted with a modicum of expectations and it didn't look like anything special.

I think it was an expectations thing for me. I had very low expectations for the 2011 movie and it was heartfelt/funny enough to blow those expectations out of the water.

I watched the trailers for Most Wanted with a modicum of expectations and it didn't look like anything special.
The songs were far worse in Most Wanted than The Muppets also. Talk about forgettable...

Reactions: Alicia
I imagine it won't be much more than a few more weeks until the walls come down on this area as it mostly seems pretty set aside for a few things here and there.

Reactions: alias8703
The transition from Grand Ave into SW:GE is progressing...
grand-avenue-09182017-3.jpg

grand-avenue-09182017-1.jpg

The rumor is that the transition will look like the tunnel from Who Framed Roger Rabbit or BTTF:
toontowntunnel.png

Back%2Bto%2Bthe%2BFuture%2BTunnel.jpg

Reactions: Ashhanbre
The tunnel to the Griffith Park Observatory?

That's funny, because the tunnel itself doesn't have a "look" - that's why it's used for films. It's a big bland wall they can dress up to match any style. They just layer on some architectural stuff to give it personality.

The tunnel to the Griffith Park Observatory?

That's funny, because the tunnel itself doesn't have a "look" - that's why it's used for films. It's a big bland wall they can dress up to match any style. They just layer on some architectural stuff to give it personality.
They seem to be going in an Art Deco direction.

Muppets Most Wanted sucked. The Muppets (2011) was excellent and fun for all ages, I would say. Bret McKenzie's music and Jason Segel's character definitely helped it on it's way. Frankly, Gervais was a poor choice for Most Wanted (This is coming from an Office UK/US fan and someone who likes Gervais). Disney needs to make a decision on what they wish to do with Muppets. Star Tours, Tatooine Traders and that whole area extending right to Echo Lake could be prime real estate for Hollywood Studios soon and I wouldn't be surprised if all this Grand Park/Grand Avenue area is being lined up for whatever they've got in their plans for further down the line.

Muppets Most Wanted sucked. The Muppets (2011) was excellent and fun for all ages, I would say. Bret McKenzie's music and Jason Segel's character definitely helped it on it's way. Frankly, Gervais was a poor choice for Most Wanted (This is coming from an Office UK/US fan and someone who likes Gervais). Disney needs to make a decision on what they wish to do with Muppets. Star Tours, Tatooine Traders and that whole area extending right to Echo Lake could be prime real estate for Hollywood Studios soon and I wouldn't be surprised if all this Grand Park/Grand Avenue area is being lined up for whatever they've got in their plans for further down the line.
To make it clear, Grand Park is what was formerly Muppet Courtyard. Grand Avenue will not be Muppets related. It's meant to be a nice city park area off of a main DTLA street. I definitely agree that Most Wanted sucked, but that's for a different discussion.

Oh, and i've heard that while the new Muppets sign makes it look like the letters are interchangeable, they aren't. This was not designed with the intention of turning this into a flex theatre.

To make it clear, Grand Park is what was formerly Muppet Courtyard. Grand Avenue will not be Muppets related. It's meant to be a nice city park area off of a main DTLA street. I definitely agree that Most Wanted sucked, but that's for a different discussion.

Oh, and i've heard that while the new Muppets sign makes it look like the letters are interchangeable, they aren't. This was not designed with the intention of turning this into a flex theatre.

Yeah, I just meant more along the lines of: it wouldn't be hard for them to make that theme work for something else if they wanted to. Personally, I love Muppets. However, I feel it is a time to decide whether or not they are going to go all in or all out with them. If they do it right, it could be excellent. Update the theatre, etc.

Reactions: Nick
Yeah, I just meant more along the lines of: it wouldn't be hard for them to make that theme work for something else if they wanted to. Personally, I love Muppets. However, I feel it is a time to decide whether or not they are going to go all in or all out with them. If they do it right, it could be excellent. Update the theatre, etc.
I know a lot of people see MV3D as sacred and I too have worries that if (and that's a big if) Muppets replaced itself, I have reservations on how good of a job Disney would actually do on a new show. As you said, look at how good the 2011 Muppets was and how bad Most Wanted was just as an example of the inconsistency. Add on the TV show, which started out bad and got better, and the example is only amplified.

That said, I think it's time for an update. It's been 26.5 years.

Reactions: Joshua Porter
I know a lot of people see MV3D as sacred and I too have worries that if (and that's a big if) Muppets replaced itself, I have reservations on how good of a job Disney would actually do on a new show. As you said, look at how good the 2011 Muppets was and how bad Most Wanted was just as an example of the inconsistency. Add on the TV show, which started out bad and got better, and the example is only amplified.

That said, I think it's time for an update. It's been 26.5 years.

That's the thing, for certain. Whether or not there is that level of trust there with this property that they would do a good job. I would happily take it as it is with updated projection, an updated film in terms of quality, and to update the theatre a little with some new seats. I don't think they will do that, though. I think the plan would be to change it in some way because updating it wouldn't draw the same crowds as a fully new experience or show.

I actually enjoyed what I saw of the TV show. Like you say, it grew and got better and the premise of it was solid. Needed better writing and I feel that is the fault of many a Disney TV project.