Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Grinchmas 2014

Never too early to start my coverage I suppose...

What are your ideas for Grinchmas 2014? What do you think we'll see as far as shows, photo ops, events, decor, etc? What impact will construction have? What do you want to see this upcoming holiday season?

Post your ideas, hopes, and theories here.

Completely forgot about Grinchmas as I've been caught up with all the horror! Something makes me feel it'll resemble last year's event very closely. With an overabundance of construction zones, they're really limited on where they can host these festivities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's probably going to be a near copy of last year's. With the new stage hopefully there will be a show. Maybe, maybe not.

I hope Despicable Me has some adorable decor.

I definitely think it'll be very similar to last year's event as opposed to the last huge event in 2012. I just hope they make up for the lack of actual activities, shows, and events, with more decorations.

It'd be nice if they figured out a way to offer a full Grinchmas show this year. Maybe have it located inside SES?

How cool would it be if they brought back the Grinch's Lair walk through one more time into HoH? Of course that ain't happening.

I also can't wait to see Gru's neighborhood and SSFL be decorated for the holidays!

Really wish they'd go all out for the Holidays like Disney always does. Hopefully they will eventually once the park isn't in heavy construction mode.

I still wanna see show and ride overlays for the holidays.

I mentioned this last year, but i think it'd be hilarious if The Simpsons mocked Disney's Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay and made the Simpsons Ride a Halloween/Christmas themed attraction from Halloween through the holidays, and have the storyline be Krusty wants to attract visitors to Krustyland during the holidays, but he doesn't wanna have to spend all the money on decorating the park for Halloween and then for Christmas, so he just transforms the park into a combo of Halloween and Christmas, like Haunted Mansion Holiday, to save money and to kill two birds with one stone lol.

The cost for a Simpsons seasonal overlay has been discussed and it would be astronomical. I believe that's why we've never had the very obvious Treehouse of Horror maze in HHN before.

Astronomical or not, I think Universal would be able to afford it, especially now with Comcast. They need to consider being a serious holiday destination and contender outside of the Grinch stuff.

With my idea, they would need to splurge on a new holiday ride film and new ride program for the vehicles, and some holiday decorations and props. The ride film and vehicle profile they would spend money on once and then just reuse it for 3-4 months out of the year, every year. They'd see a return fast.

And be able to offer a new ride experience during the holidays. If Disney can do it to 2 of its physical rides, Universal can do it to one simulator. Or even two. Would love to see a Despicable Me: Merry Minion Mayhem overlay for the holidays as well. Have the DM clan work to save Christmas.

It would also require all five actors (Shearer will undeniably reject it) to re-sign which was the costliest factor. Springfield was made only because they only needed approval/pay to producers Groening, Brooks and Jean (not sure about Scully) and therefore wasn't as costly.

Whereas The Grinch, Universal doesn't have to pay licensing fees on top of everything else as well.

Again, I think Universal can afford it. Shearer isn't in the current ride either, so it wouldn't be any different. I'm not denying it'd be costly at first, but it'd be a one time costly deal and then they reuse the holiday ride film every year like with what Disney does. And it'd be a fantastic addition to the Holiday lineup. There wouldn't be extra licensing fees if I'm not mistaken, just whatever they ccurrently pay. Again, as a holiday offering, it'd be a nice investment. Expensive at first but then long term it'd be a fun tradition...and would allow us to experience something new.

But again, if not THAT idea, I think a holiday version of Minion Mayhem would be even better. Have the plot line have to with something about Gru, the Minions and Girls having to save Christmas somehow from something evil. (Cross promotion with the Grinch? Jk lol) and I'm sure all the Despicable Me cast would return and in general that area of the park would look AMAZING for the holidays!!!

I have some hopes.

*A much more LONGER tree lighting show as they did have something but not a spectacular one like 2012

*Despicable Mes areas and Line gets holiday touches, have Christmas lights and Ornaments the minions would make. They could also replace the posters with Holiday posters of the minions and gru having Christmas in the line. And SSFL could have more lighting and Christmas décor

*I'd personally like to see some form of better Meet and Greet. Have the Grinch and max indoors in a place like Amazing pictures in the NY side or even have it in Persian Courtyard and have that area have a few sets to make it look like Whoville.

Those are my primary and to reply with Allen, I think we are getting closer to where they could relize that it would be a great move for a 2015 or 2016 Grinchmas event to have a form of Holiday overlay on the ride itself, Alas Haunted Mansion Holiday but I do think it would be kinda funny to see Grinch just be stealing Gru, the minions, and The Daughters Christmas and you turn into minions to stop the Grinch.

Grinchmas has been my absolutely favorite event in any theme park I have been so far.

I truly hope they will be bringing back the snow area this year! We should be getting informations on this soon I expect.

Grinchmas has been my absolutely favorite event in any theme park I have been so far.

I truly hope they will be bringing back the snow area this year! We should be getting informations on this soon I expect.
Let's hope! I'd be pleasantly surprised if they bring back any snow considering last year's event.

Ahh, you posted that way too late Jon haha, they already had them yesterday and today. Wish I knew earlier! Would love to audition next year then.

Btw, am I the only one not a fan of the mini Grinch show on the backlot? It's gotten old way too fast, way too short (it's actually gotten shorter), the poor actors are noticeably worn out (I can tell), and just...idk....it's gotten old. I hope they'll try and do an actual show this year, but I doubt it.

Ahh, you posted that way too late Jon haha, they already had them yesterday and today. Wish I knew earlier! Would love to audition next year then.

Btw, am I the only one not a fan of the mini Grinch show on the backlot? It's gotten old way too fast, way too short (it's actually gotten shorter), the poor actors are noticeably worn out (I can tell), and just...idk....it's gotten old. I hope they'll try and do an actual show this year, but I doubt it.
Yeah, worn out, I wish they'd do something with it.