Gru's Lab Café | Inside Universal Forums

Gru's Lab Café

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 7, 2013
Noticed there wasn't a specific topic for this eatery so decided to start one. Wondering if the food quality has changed at all. Has anyone visited recently? 

I've given up on this location. I'll eventually give it a chance again, but it's progressively gone down hill, and hasn't been as great as it was when it opened, and they've cut a ton of corners now and removed a lot of fantastic side dishes and main dishes or watered down a lot. Too generic now. Really disappointed, it was starting to become my favorite.

Reactions: JaySalahi
So I finally tried two of the food options at Gru's Lab...

When I stopped by the park the other week, I decided to give in and try "Vector's Grilled Cheese with Pulled Pork & BBQ Sauce"...

QJ07Xkp.jpg

OMG THIS WAS SO DAMN GOOD! While I hate the $12.99 price that it costs, this is definitely going to end up being what I get when at the park depending on my mood. Although I think the menu poster outside changed from last year, because I swear this was originally a pulled pork sandwich with two grilled cheese sandwiches as the bun, but I could be mistaken. :unsure:  I'm not sure, but even if its always been the way I had it the other week, I liked it. :)

Yesterday while at the park I tried the "Minion Meatball sandwich with Asiago Cheese"...

XkfhBJB.jpg

While I didn't get to try the food options when this place first opened, I will definitely agree with Allen on the quality being "generic", especially for the meatball sub.. I was hesitant to get it, but I decided to give it a try anyway. While it was good, I don't think I'd get it again unless I was REALLY in the mood for it. Even the Caesar salad was kinda "meh" too (the one I had at Luigi's before HHN the one night was better). Kinda disappointing.

Bonus pic... later on yesterday I got the Freeze-Ray Smoothie from "Despicable Delights"...

uwJi0HC.jpg

IT WAS SO GOOD! Although I could've done without the brain & stomach freeze it gave me (TWICE) while enjoying it haha.

^ it's not called a FREEZE Ray Smoothie for nothing!

I'm glad you enjoyed the pulled pork sandwich. It used to be even better than now, and would have a cool Gru "G" logo grilled into the sandwhich, and came with a big portion of AMAZING tater tots that they got rid of. Such a pity. Same thing with the meatball sub, it used to come with big slices of asiago, and bigger meatballs.

I can maybe understand portions and details going away, but why get rid of great unique side dishes?! That little Caesar salad is such a rip off...

Reactions: Wesker69
Aww damn. I'm guessing the reasoning being the removal of the "G" logo is due to it being named after Vector instead of Gru, but part of me doesn't feel like they put that much thought into it. The fries it came with weren't too bad, but for the price... I feel like I should've gotten either A- more fries, B- a 2nd sandwich or C- BOTH :lol:

The meatballs were pretty large, I mean sure they could've fit one more in the bread... BUT the size that they were, it made it difficult to eat haha. So the solution to said problem was cut them in half. It filled up the bread & made it easier to eat. I honestly can't imagine trying to eat the sub with bigger meatballs lol. (my inner 12yr old is giggling right now)

Hello USH gurus.

So I am thinking of eating at this place since the kids really likes the minions when we are there on 10-Dec. I read that the place is open only on crowded days, so do you reckon the place will it be open on that day?

Hello USH gurus.

So I am thinking of eating at this place since the kids really likes the minions when we are there on 10-Dec. I read that the place is open only on crowded days, so do you reckon the place will it be open on that day?

I'd imagine so, considering it's a Saturday in December.

Thanks for the hint on the opening of this restaurant.

We ate there on saturday, it was good. It was closed on Monday. 

Last time I was in park I finally had the pulled pork grilled cheese. Was very good a bit pricy. I wish it didn't have as much BBQ sauce as it did. Mine was drenched and they even had it on the side! In total it was a great food experience to have in park. Still, I hope they bring in park that killer HHN grilled cheese. Hopefully they can find a spot somewhere in this restaurant.

I took my life into my own hands and ate at Gru's yesterday. The park was packed as was every food service in the park with the exception of Gru's Lab. Does anyone think Gru's needs an overhaul?

I love that even when the park is crazy busy you can get in and out of Gru's fast. The food doesn't need an overhaul - grilled cheese is great, meatball sub is great, the chicken is great. It sits in a odd place that people seem to walk past without a second thought.

Reactions: Jonathan
I really don't understand this restaurant; it started off being pretty good offering some tasty and unique selections. Before it's closure, they just served very generic dishes. What happened to it? I'm hoping whatever replaces this will have some unique dishes.

Or perhaps something from another Illumination movie like Sing? Would make sense if they really want this to be an Illumination "land".

Good point, I'd be happier with a Sing restaurant than Sing live on tour! ;)