Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

jtsalien

V.I.P. Member
Mar 9, 2011
T.A.R.D.I.S.
Latino Review has the scoop on Marvel's other offering along with Captain America 2:
http://latino-review.com/2012/06/28/exclusive-marvels-2014-movie-revealed/

The big points:
- It will be announced as Marvel’s second 2014 movie at Comic Con
-Thanos is in it
- It will “lead up to” The Avengers 2 in 2015.
- ”THE SCRIPT IS INCREDIBLE”

THANOS-IMPARATIVE.jpeg

While I don't know a lot about these characters, I think it's brilliant to have a movie bridge the gap between both Avengers films.

Yea, this has basically been happening for a while. I still can't believe they're going forward with it, but he, it should be cool.

I just hope Avengers 2 is just Avengers. I don't need GotG showing up too.

I see this one as a hard sell

I'd have to agree with you on that one, I'm struggling how Marvel will sell this to joe public. It took 5 films in total to make 1 Avengers movie that has sold very well to the masses, GOTG has to many Huh? and WTF? elements if it gets sloted into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I actually heard yesterday this won't be a cinema movie but a Marvel direct to Disc Animation?

Rewrite time!

From THR

Chris McCoy is being tapped to rewrite Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Studios’ space adventure movie.

Galaxy is part of Marvel’s second wave of movies and is the only new title among the crop of mostly sequels featuring Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. It was revealed as the company’s mystery movie in late June and officially announced at Comic-Con in July.

While there have been several incarnations of the team in the comics over the years, the movie’s lineup will include Drax the Destroyer, a human resurrected as a green warrior with the sole purpose of killing Thanos (the villain in the Avengers final-scene tease); Groot, a giant tree-man; Star-Lord, a gun-toting half-human/half-alien intergalactic vigilante; Rocket Raccoon, a genetically engineered animal with a knack for guns and explosives; and Gamora, the last survivor of her species who was saved by Thanos to be his assassin but now battles him.

Nicole Perlman wrote the previous draft. Perlman is graduate of Marvel’s now-defunct writing program who wrote two space-themed biopics: Challenger, about the 1986 Space Shuttle disaster, and an untitled Neil Armstrong project.

While he has yet to achieve a produced credit, McCoy is considered to have a lot of heat as a writer. The scribe has had three of his specs land on the Black List: Get Back in 2007, Good Looking in 2009 and Good Kids in 2011. His scripts have been praised for their quirky comedic bent.

Looks like GotG are hellbent on thwarting Thanos... which leads me to think that GotG will be teaming up with the Avengers for Avengers 2. Think about it. What could top the original Avengers? 2 superhero teams teaming up. (At least that's what the folks behind MCU are thinking...)

Rocket Raccoon 4 Life, boys! [HASHTAG]#RR4L[/HASHTAG]

Looks like GotG are hellbent on thwarting Thanos... which leads me to think that GotG will be teaming up with the Avengers for Avengers 2. Think about it. What could top the original Avengers? 2 superhero teams teaming up. (At least that's what the folks behind MCU are thinking...)

Rocket Raccoon 4 Life, boys! #RR4L
In NO way to I want to see TGOTG in a Avengers movie, not needed when there are already more than enough characters that should be added first. If Thanos is in the GOTG it weakens him as a villian, IMO, if hes is foiled again before he takes on the Avengers...

Loki was foiled in Thor... and came back as villain in Avengers. Plus, they only have a foil a "plot" of Thanos... and then discover his master plot of extinguishing life on earth. Film ends with them on their way to protect earth. This has been said to be the "lead-in" to the Avengers 2 so it makes perfect sense.

PLUS, there may be other characters that SHOULD be added before GotG... but it's not going to happen. Next line-up is IM 3, Cap 2, Thor 2 and MAYBE Ant-Man (MAYBE). GotG are the only for sure newcomers.

Also, it works for the story in terms of what happened after the invasion. The government is beside itself with paranoia of an alien invasion... imagine the tension between Earth's Mightiest Heroes and an outside, unknown, alien team? Can anyone say 'conflict'?

Last edited:
Only problem is adding a new, large set of characters. Avengers worked so well because of the back and forth between the team. Adding another large set of characters decreases the ability to have that.

Only problem is adding a new, large set of characters. Avengers worked so well because of the back and forth between the team. Adding another large set of characters decreases the ability to have that.

I'm not really sure whether I believe it would or wouldn't work... more saying in terms of what they've set up and what they've said about GotG... this seems to be where MCU wants to go. Good or bad... I'm not sure.

A Production Weekly listing describes the official logline for Guardians of the Galaxy.

A U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.

Hypable interpreted the logline to mean the following.

The U.S. pilot is most likely Peter Quill, who is better known as Star-Lord. But the futuristic ex-cons are most likely the rest of the Guardians. This could mean that a majority of the film will be the origins of Peter Quill teaming up with the Guardians, which includes Rocket Raccoon, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, and Groot.

CBM has posted an interview of MTV talking to Joss Whedon in which he confirms that James Gunn has come on to direct Guardians of the Galaxy.

“James is what makes me think it will work. I myself was sort of like, 'Well, I liked Rocket Raccoon as a kid, but I'm not sure how that plays [to a wider audience].' And then they said, 'Well, we're thinking about using James Gunn.' And I said, 'Oh, then no, you're fine.' He is so off the wall, and so crazy, but so smart, such a craftsman and he builds from his heart. He loves the raccoon. Needs the raccoon. This is the guy who wrote 'The Specials.' People don't understand how influential that movie was about heroes, about taking heroes and making them mundane. And [he directed] 'Super.' Gunn has barely started, but already has a very twisted take on it, but it all comes from a real love for the material. It's going to be hard for the humans to keep up," said Whedon. "I know he's going to come from left field and I'm going to go, 'What?' And then, 'Of course, why didn't I think of that?' And then I'm going to beat him!”