Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This, though, is just lazy and feels almost like a waste of the IP. Cramming some hackneyed time-travel, "Star-Lord visited Epcot Center once" backstory into a coaster is the most back-handed plea for nostalgic credibility Disney has ever stooped to.

They could have just made the same ride a generic space exploration coaster. Or time travel coaster. Or exploration of the human body coaster. :bang:

Correct. It's really lame.

And really, the fact that the TOT overlay got that amazing Rocket AA while we apparently get nothing? Salt in the wound. I still wouldn't be a fan of the ride being in Epcot, but if it at least sounded like Disney was going all-out for this thing, it would be easier to accept.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Meh.

Park coherence is dead. Avatar is in Animal Kingdom. DHS is...whatever it's becoming. Nemo is in Tokyo DisneySEA.

As long as the rides are good and fit if I squint, I just can't be bothered to care anymore.
Pandora fits DAK really well, but I get what you’re saying.

DHS has never really been coherent, though.

I think I'd be less annoyed if there was one inversion. Hell, I'd take an over-banked curve. For a launched coaster, the exhilaration of speeding straight into a roll is the best part. If you're NOT doing that then use as much space as possible to give massive airtime (which Slinky Dog and Wave Breaker or whatever at SWSA actually do).

The coaster portion of Mummy (both of them) is pretty ho-hum. You get decent airtime at the top of the first launch, but it's meh compared to Rockin' Roller Coaster. Guardians sounds like it'll be that without the show scenes (which are best part of Mummy). You're going to get a couple bunny hops between two helixes in the dark. Disney coasters always live and die by their theming, except RnRC because that ride is good. This doesn't feel like it will have much other than some projections of the old Epcot and Chris Pratt screaming.

I'm actually fine with IPs in Epcot. Nemo is one of my favorite rides there and Figment was always an original IP that was never capitalized on. This, though, is just lazy and feels almost like a waste of the IP. Cramming some hackneyed time-travel, "Star-Lord visited Epcot Center once" backstory into a coaster is the most back-handed plea for nostalgic credibility Disney has ever stooped to.

They could have just made the same ride a generic space exploration coaster. Or time travel coaster. Or exploration of the human body coaster. :bang:
If you think Wave Breaker has a massive amount of airtime than you are greatly mistaken. Slinky dog might have like the tiniest amount of floater air too. But it’s obvious you don’t know what airitme is

If you think Wave Breaker has a massive amount of airtime than you are greatly mistaken. Slinky dog might have like the tiniest amount of floater air too. But it’s obvious you don’t know what airitme is
I'll take your user name to imply you are the foremost expert on the roller coaster experience.

Considering I've yet to ride either coaster, I was operating under the assumption that cresting a hill at speed before dropping down suddenly was make the rider's inertia lift them from their seats. This action, creating a gap of AIR between the rider's rear and the coaster seat, can be extended for a period of TIME based on the speed of the ride and the angle of the track. While on many coasters, this experience lasts only a fraction of a second, it is possible this sensation to last much longer.

But obviously, as I am just "Legacy" and you are "rcoasterdude," you know much more about the matter than I. I would only assume the "R" stands for "Roller," as in "Roller Coaster Dude," which only emphasizes your expertise. I only dabble in everyday physics, the principles of simple momentum are complicated.

Reactions: MattA and Clive
It's been suggested over on Magic that this is ultimately going to be very similar to TRON, and that's a view that Martin basically supported, as well.

It's quite odd, then, that two so similar attractions are going to be opening at more-or-less the same time.

Reactions: Cheezbat
It's been suggested over on Magic that this is ultimately going to be very similar to TRON, and that's a view that Martin basically supported, as well.

It's quite odd, then, that two so similar attractions are going to be opening at more-or-less the same time.

What I've heard is this is the Epcot attraction they'll put on advertising to get guests in the park. "Oh it's a coaster based on the movies we love!" WDI is *hoping* they then get to slide in the real deal updates.... hoping.

Reactions: Alicia
What I've heard is this is the Epcot attraction they'll put on advertising to get guests in the park. "Oh it's a coaster based on the movies we love!" WDI is *hoping* they then get to slide in the real deal updates.... hoping.

Does "real deal" here having the meaning of "More in line with what Epcot has traditionally been about"?

God willing.

Over on Magic Martin/Feather said that the queue description was a bit off, so I wouldn’t write off an animatronic Rocket or Groot just yet.

As far as the coaster itself goes, it does seem like a bit of a head scratcher so far, but I’m still picturing something akin to Space Fantasy over at USJ, which I think sounds iffy on paper, but is generally agreed upon as quite fun in person.

So as expected, it'll be a simple indoor coaster. Well all I can hope for is it'll be fun, since that's all it has going for it.

WDI can hope they'll be able to put in the real deal updates, but this is a situation which can throw any hope of that out of the window with this scenario...

- Coaster opens, it's well recieved.
- Higher ups go "Hey, the guests really like it. Make more attractions like that!"

Nothing really surprising in this article. It's about what I expected. The only downside I see here is the lack of AA in the pre-show, but hey we all know projections work really well in Potter's queue. I'm sure these will look great.

Also....I'd like to remind everyone again.... that GoTG replaced Tower of Terror in Disneyland. They are replacing The Universe of Energy with Ellen in Epcot. A park with no actual thrill rides.

I think we got the better deal...

Last edited:
Nothing really surprising in this article. It's about what I expected. The only downside I see here is the lack of AA in the pre-show, but hey we all know projections work really well in Potter's queue. I'm sure these will look great.

Also....I'd like to remind everyone again.... that GoTG replaced Tower of Terror in Disneyland. They are replacing The Universe of Energy with Ellen in Epcot. A park with no actual thrill rides.

I think we got the better deal...

I would argue Test Track and Mission Space: Orange are thrill rides, but YMMV.

It's just such a missed opportunity to not do Groot and Rocket AAs.

Also, when I asked about the intensity level over on Magic, I got a response that it should be "inbetween of Revenge of The Mummy and Escape From Gringotts" and that it will have a height requirement below 48" so that it's accessible to families. 44" is the expected height requirement.

Martin responded to that, not disputing anything, and mentioned that they have looked at both over the shoulder and lap bar restraints.

I'll say this, everyone poo pooed on Mission Breakout before it debut to rave reviews....

If you want a preview of this ride, imagine MB on a coaster track...should still be a comical fun ride through the GotG movieverse the "could but probably never be updated" due to the screens within the coaster building

Reactions: twebber55