Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

With Disney announcing Guardians at Epcot the Disney and Universal having a chat about things sounds very plausible, I don't think even Disney would just blatantly announce something this big without knowing full well they can actually do it especially at something like D23 and then later having to retract it due to Universal going um no.
Not familiar with the MuppetVision fiasco I see... lol

I'm intrigued . . I actually don't know about this lol
According to various people, after Henson died, Disney halved the price they were willing to pay for the Muppets. The family refused to sell, and told them they couldn't open MuppetVision. It turned out they hadn't actually signed a deal with Henson... just a handshake and a promise. So disney couldn't open MV until they struck a deal with the family - who ended up jacking up the price.

According to various people, after Henson died, Disney halved the price they were willing to pay for the Muppets. The family refused to sell, and told them they couldn't open MuppetVision. It turned out they hadn't actually signed a deal with Henson... just a handshake and a promise. So disney couldn't open MV until they struck a deal with the family - who ended up jacking up the price.
It's a little more complicated than that. Disney's original deal with Henson had multiple phases, Here Come The Muppets & MuppetVision were settled before Jim's death but the Great Muppet Movie Ride and other expansions were still in negotiation. The real problem is that the deal never included Sesame Street characters, but when Jim died Eisner tried to add them to the contract, pissing off the Henson family. As a result, only the initial attractions went forward, and the Muppet rights went into German limbo for a decade before Disney finally bought them.

I was perusing James Gunn's Twitter feed this evening, and came across this exchange under his tweet about the Guardians ride coming to Epcot...

Gunn.png

Now, does that actually mean very much? Probably not. However, I'll say this: Gunn is a stand-up guy and a straight shooter. I follow his social media accounts, and I never get the sense he's anything other than totally genuine. He could have easily just not responded to Evil Tony Baxter's (what a great name) concern, yet he did. Just some food for thought.

I was perusing James Gunn's Twitter feed this evening, and came across this exchange under his tweet about the Guardians ride coming to Epcot...

Gunn.png

Now, does that actually mean very much? Probably not. However, I'll say this: Gunn is a stand-up guy and a straight shooter. I follow his social media accounts, and I never get the sense he's anything other than totally genuine. He could have easily just not responded to Evil Tony Baxter's (what a great name) concern, yet he did. Just some food for thought.
Interesting, but he's also making a lot of money from Disney, so I wouldn't expect him to poo-poo an Epcot Guardians project.

Gunn.png

Says the guy who wrote and directed both live action scooby doo films....I have my doubts.

Interesting, but he's also making a lot of money from Disney, so I wouldn't expect him to poo-poo an Epcot Guardians project.

I wouldn't expect that, either, but I would expect him to just not respond instead of getting that guy's hopes up. It's not Gunn's style to do that.

Says the guy who wrote and directed both live action scooby doo films....I have my doubts.

He didn't direct those movies. And while I can't speak for the second one (I haven't seen it), his script for the first is substantially less bad than the movie ended up being.

And both Guardians films...which are great.

He also directed SLITHER, one of the most fun horror movies of the 2000s. And SUPER, which does the "what if a normal guy tried to be a superhero" thing better than KICK-ASS. As a director, he's yet to have his hand in a bad movie.

I know I will get hate for this but whatever. EPCOT's original idea was never realized. The Epcot that opened in 1982 was never Walt's vision. So those that say Walt's vision is dead now, it was dead since the original opening of Epcot.

EPCOT was changed to Epcot, because Disney knew it was seen as a name, not as a meaning for something.

EDIT: EPCOT is a city. Epcot is a theme park.

I know I will get hate for this but whatever. EPCOT's original idea was never realized. The Epcot that opened in 1982 was never Walt's vision. So those that say Walt's vision is dead now, it was dead since the original opening of Epcot.

EPCOT was changed to Epcot, because Disney knew it was seen as a name, not as a meaning for something.

EDIT: EPCOT is a city. Epcot is a theme park.

I agree. But the point was it's not true to EPCOT Center's vision, the park opened in 1982.

Gunn.png

Epcot has been a park of compromise since they started building it..

I would have loved to have seen an original concept with Energy, or Weather or whatever, but that is suicide in today's IP market..

I think they summed it up best at D23, "Epcot celebrates what's real"....But it is extremely difficult for a park like that to exist these days..

Disney had the choice of driving up ticket sales or not disturbing the park's original goal even further than it has already been disturbed...The chose the tickets...I don't blame them

Everyone talks about Walts vision through romantic eyes, as if the vision was static. He created Disney parks as a place where families could ride attractions together...no families are riding Universe of Energy. It's complete trash that should have been removed 15 years back. This is a positive move for Epcot, if it is handled well.

This is a positive move for Epcot, if it is handled well.

That's quite a qualifier. I've long been on the record about there being correct ways to implement IP into Epcot without totally overriding the park's opening day ethos. It's not impossible, nor should it even be that difficult, really. Disney just needs to have the desire to actually do it. They didn't with Frozen Ever After.

I am trying to hold onto at least a tiny bit of hope for this project, however. Gunn's comments and the comments at D23 provide evidence that they're at least aware of the scrutiny about how the Guardians fit into the theme of Epcot. Now they have to follow through.

Warning. This post will trigger Disney purists. Pursue at your own risk.

Am I the only one who doesn't think whether or not GotG "fits in with Epcot's original vision" isn't really that big of a deal? Look, it's in Future World, a land where the future now means, "A future that will never be but would be cool to be in". Disney made that mistake in the past of making a whole land based on future tech and look how it's turned out. GotG kinda fits in with that sci-fi fantasized future that Future World implies now.

As long as the ride is great, I'm really not concerned about the original vision for Epcot. If they were strictly trying to make it like it was in the past, it would be boring as crap. Epcot needs more exciting rides.

Oh, and I think Frozen fits fine with Norway. So will Rat.

Am I the only one who doesn't think whether or not GotG "fits in with Epcot's original vision" isn't really that big of a deal? Look, it's in Future World, a land where the future now means, "A future that will never be but would be cool to be in". Disney made that mistake in the past of making a whole land based on future tech and look how it's turned out. GotG kinda fits in with that sci-fi fantasized future that Future World implies now.

As long as the ride is great, I'm really not concerned about the original vision for Epcot. If they were strictly trying to make it like it was in the past, it would be boring as crap. Epcot needs more exciting rides.

I agree with all of your points. I feel the same. :thumbsup:

Do not agree at all. Family and friends appreciate Epcot for a more mature atmosphere and a DIFFERENT one. I wont even get into the aspirational aspects.

All you've described is Tomorrowland at MK.

When evening becomes MK there's going to be less of a reason for those seeking differentiating experiences to go to MK-lite.