Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

That concept art from 2017 seems to indicate that a Rocket and Groot animatronic will be in the queue however.
That has actually even been put into question. At least as far as what we're considering an AA. I remember Martin telling people to temper expectations on those and they may have limited movement.

That has actually even been put into question. At least as far as what we're considering an AA. I remember Martin telling people to temper expectations on those and they may have limited movement.
If I remember correctly Rise of the Resistance was also $500 million :eek:O:.
This ride is really facing an uphill battle for my interest at this point. Hopefully it's thrilling.

Wanna know what else is costing $500M though? Tron.
Well, whaddaya know...
Capture.JPG

Not sure how the price range could differ to a degree of $100 million considering its a clone. And we know that certainly doesn't have any animatronics.

So what's the secret here? What justifies this much money? The show building? Contractor fees? Spreading of project costs to various other elements of the park? Executive fees?

Well, whaddaya know...
View attachment 13511

Not sure how the price range could differ to a degree of $100 million considering its a clone. And we know that certainly doesn't have any animatronics.

So what's the secret here? What justifies this much money? The show building? Contractor fees? Spreading of project costs to various other elements of the park? Executive fees?
With TRON, the canopy is what costs the most money, but also, even though it's a clone, it's an international clone, so the blueprints need to be completely redrawn to American standards which takes time and money.

Other than that, we know Disney likes building other projects into E-ticket budgets so that they have an excuse to finally do some needed park upgrades which they are doing here. I'm sure the changes they made to the Tomorrowland Speedway and even potentially the entire track refurb (and tunnel build for the WDW Railroad) may all be getting built into the budget for this ride.

But for sure, there's also a lot of waste in the money they spend, too.

That concept art from 2017 seems to indicate that a Rocket and Groot animatronic will be in the queue however.

I know that I've seen people on Magic, point-blank, say that's going to be a screen scene.

Hopefully they're wrong, as the concept art sure makes it look like the ship, Rocket, and Groot should all be physically present. After Mission Breakout got that awesome Rocket AA, it would be a real shame for us to not get one.

If I remember correctly Rise of the Resistance was also $500 million :eek:O:.
This ride is really facing an uphill battle for my interest at this point. Hopefully it's thrilling.

To be fair, as it's been mentioned before a part of Cosmic Rewind's inflated budget came from the "Cheaper Route" of reusing UoE's building as it ended up being a Money Pit. (An if the rumors are true regarding SSE, that could be even nastier.)

To be fair, as it's been mentioned before a part of Cosmic Rewind's inflated budget came from the "Cheaper Route" of reusing UoE's building as it ended up being a Money Pit. (An if the rumors are true regarding SSE, that could be even nastier.)
Disney should know by now that using existing buildings is almost never the "cheaper route". GMR --> MMRR may have been an example of a transition that there was no real big issues, but in Epcot and MK especially, those buildings are so old that they might as well just assume the worst and start new.

I always love when the topic of cost comes up.

Do we truly know how much any of this costs? And does it matter in the least?

I always find it a pointless topic that is constantly brought up...

It does matter in a way. Because Disney expects a return on their investment. If Disney is seeing that new additions are not bringing them any extra return, then they may decide to greenlight fewer projects going forward to save budgetary costs.

Well, whaddaya know...
View attachment 13511

I'd guess it's steel/material prices fluctuating, labor costs, other associated costs (the railroad, reconfiguration of the entrance/exit area, infrastructure costs). Plus every Disney project ends up over budget.

As far as Disney's colossal budgets, they report their project costs differently than most other companies. They report total project cost that actually includes many separate projects. Like TSL included building a new state of the art costuming building, relocating costuming into that building and demolition of the old building before they could even start building TSL. Universal would have broken that down into 2 projects in the reports.

Did anyone see the released images of inside the coaster building. Gives off real Rockin Roller Coaster Vibes

As far as Disney's colossal budgets, they report their project costs differently than most other companies. They report total project cost that actually includes many separate projects. Like TSL included building a new state of the art costuming building, relocating costuming into that building and demolition of the old building before they could even start building TSL. Universal would have broken that down into 2 projects in the reports.
Tron includes rerouting and retracking the railroad and changes to the raceway for example.

Just want to remind some that Disney did say this would be the longest coaster they've ever built (I believe). That gives me some added hope for the project, especially compared to the almost too short to be worth it, TRON.

Just as expected, it's all track and not a set piece in sight so far after over three years of construction. I think a lot of people have expectations a little too high for what this thing will be.
I feel I got bum info on this one, I was essentially told its Gringotts coaster elements with screens everywhere, and maybe one AA. No one's gotten back to me on that AA and I feel nobody is talking about this ride a ton either, so I feel it was cut or I just had bad info. Cause this looks like Rocket's Rollercoaster, less Gringott's. Maybe the screens are all from our viewpoint though. Obviously, a lot can be done but also, not like for this area of the track theres a lot of space for sets to be used. Lowering expectations, again.

This will be fun but not worth the 90 min waits + it'll incur from Disney crowds.

Cost is incredibly important as it gives you a good idea on how ridiculous some projects cost and whether or not they are worth it. It's something to look at when a coaster like The Mummy cost less than $70 million, and Tron somewhere upwards of $300 million. The Mummy may not look as great from the outside, but it's the same experience in terms of a 'coaster in a box' and features more scenes and higher capacity.

Cost is incredibly important as it gives you a good idea on how ridiculous some projects cost and whether or not they are worth it. It's something to look at when a coaster like The Mummy cost less than $70 million, and Tron somewhere upwards of $300 million. The Mummy may not look as great from the outside, but it's the same experience in terms of a 'coaster in a box' and features more scenes and higher capacity.
Plus, since we’re super fans here, these costs will affect future projects as well, and it’s just interesting to compare for comparison sake.