Guide: What to take into the Parks with You | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Guide: What to take into the Parks with You

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
One thing I've noticed at the parks is that my battery rapidly depletes and the phone gets super hot at random times. I thought it had to do with the 4g signal getting lost but now think it is GPS. So just turning off GPS could save battery quite a bit.

I have had that as well, this is what led me to putting it on airplane mode. Not sure if I have an option to switch of GPS, need to have a look.

One thing I've noticed at the parks is that my battery rapidly depletes and the phone gets super hot at random times. I thought it had to do with the 4g signal getting lost but now think it is GPS. So just turning off GPS could save battery quite a bit.

The new park app will not give wait times unless the GPS tells it you are in park.It tells wait times in onsite hotels but not on I drive.So you have to be on property for it to give wait times

The new park app will not give wait times unless the GPS tells it you are in park.It tells wait times in onsite hotels but not on I drive.So you have to be on property for it to give wait times

Yeah that is the downside, but its much better than having a worthless piece of plastic sitting in my pocket especially when you really need it. I still think the app is a little hit and miss, but on Saturday I kept the GPS on the whole time to check maps only shutting it off if I suddenly felt my leg get hot.

Does using 3/4G also not consume a lot more power compared to using wifi? My battery never drains fast when it is just laying around the home where it is connected via wifi, but whenever I go out and it is no longer connected via wifi, then the battery drains pretty fast. Mind you, I have an older phone, so old I can't even download the Universal app lol

I think the issue is more that when it loses its 4G/GPS signal, the phones go crazy trying to find a new one causing the massive power drain.

I think the issue is more that when it loses its 4G/GPS signal, the phones go crazy trying to find a new one causing the massive power drain.

So basically when you are in a no signal area the phone constantly consumes excess power trying to find a connection?

That is what I believe is happening, just need to narrow down further which is the main culprit. I know areas like Pirates, Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, and a few more in Disney World are the main places I notice it.

Most iPhones will still have GPS on, even though data is off, I don't know about other phones.

As I am from UK I turn data roaming off in the US to avoid a crazy bill. However as long as I cache maps for google maps over wifi it will still give me directions ok