Halloween Horror Nights 19 Reviews & Photos | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 19 Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ok, Went to HHN on Oct 1st. Spent most of the day in the park and also did the 1:30 unmasking the horror tour. If you have never done the Behind the Screams(unmasking the horror) it is the best $40.00 you will ever spend. The sad part was no pictures of the Wolfman House (I have some great pictures of me and some of the props I will post soon) I got lucky again and only had 3 people in my group and they were all the people I came to the park with. We had Mark (he has a lot of hair and is tall and thin) A amazing guide maybe the best of the ones I have had of the 3 times I have done the tour.

We did the smart Stay and Scream waited in Finnegans then wandered outside till the gates open and then made a bee line with everyone else to the Wolfman, The set is amazing sadly the House was short staffed. Few scares and also the character n the wheelchair changing into the wolf had a nose piercing through the whole bottom of his nose. He looked more of an angry goth then a man changing to a werewolf, mayeb they were going for the Twilight feel in that room. The wire jumping were wolf would have been better had they darkened were you couldn't see the cable as good. Sadly the ending of the House was only done about every 10th person to see him shot. So the short staff problem I read about seems to have been on the early shift.

The next house we did was Dracula, The most amazing facade of any of the Houses IMO. Sadly the first 2 rooms were so dark I almost ran over a Bride when she stepped in front of me. I also missed Dracula who they says is in the room never saw him. The house got better and better as we progressed. The flying Bride was very cool and the final room smell was just nasty. Really enjoyed this house a lot I wish they would have had an old style Dracula if they did I missed him.

Crossed over and did the The Spawning. Not a bad House little damp but nothing special at all. It reminded me of a poor mans version of a xfiles episode. Nothing really stuck out to me about the house.

We then went and did Chucky. I will say I expected not a lot out of this house and I was way suprised the 6 of us decided that was the best house of the night. I know most people had hated it but I found it a fun and entertaining House. Yes the Chucky mas were very cheap looking but I really like the Barrel of Monkey's room.

We then went over and did the Silver Screams House. I enjoyed this House a lot the movie posters before each room was a very nice touch. The movie scenes were very good and the addition of Army of Darkness was very cool. The House was not really scary but loved the scenes. Way to many Ushers though was my only Complaint.

Sorry before we did the Spawning we did Saw,,uhm this house keep the crappy tradition alive in the Jaws Que the House was very short staffed and to dark in parts. Billy on the tricycle and Jigsaw in the bed were very cool but that was the highlight to me of the house.

Ok, after Silver Screams We crossed over and did Frankenstein A very well done house. The Steam Punk costuming was very cool. I enjoyed the many creatures all over the house also the Bride was very cool and well done. This was my 2nd favorite House of the night. This House worked on all the differet levels and transitioned into a more modern level of the House.

Leave it to Clever, I really enjoyed the creepy feel of the House. It was not a scary house it was more of a fun gory house. I enjoyed the feel and loved the Butcher shop at the end. I can understand why some people didn't like this house but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Did the 10 pm Bill and Ted show. Yes a lot of Star Trek but it tied in well to the end of the Show. The twilight stuff was very funny some of the gags worked well Silk Specter and The girl from Cobra fighting was one of the better things they did. I only knew a couple of the songs since I only listen to classic Rock. I was worried they would miss Lady GaGa and then the begging of Poker Face started. The MJ part was probably the biggest response of the night. Overall a b- to C+ a fun show that drug in the Beggining and picked up at the last half.

Didn't do Rocky Horror this year.

Scare Zone should not be called zones sould be called short cuts. Those were some of the smallest zones I had ever seen. The NY area and Central Park were so small if you turned fast you would miss them. I agree the War zone was the best th Cirque was nice and the actors were working really hard to scare and entertain (except Disney Boi who was not there) The other zones were jsut rehashes of other zones they had done before. I think the Van in the drive in should have had a bumper sticker that said "If this van is rocking don't come a knockin" That was a popular thing to see at a drive in for those who have never been to one.

Over all I thought it was better then last years event. Had fun and enjoyed myself. The crowds are getting bigger even on early non peak nights. I saw pictures from Sunday and it looked insane. I can't even imagine going on a weekend near the end of the month. Only 1 trip to HHN this year for me I saw all the Houses and Bill and Ted so I was happy to get it all done.

just to put in a tiny bit about last night at HHN...

i was really impressed overall with everything compared to my previous trip on opening night. as i was hoping, it seems they either stepped it up on amount of staff or maybe everyone just got into their groove a bit better.
either way, the scares were there a lot more in my opinion.

also, as a side note, it was a lot busier than i remember some of the early off-peak nights being last year, so i'm sure it's only going to get busier as the year goes on. but even with that, we did get to 7 of 8 houses, walked thru all scarezones, but no shows.

and i'm glad i got to meet brian, adrianna and james last night! and kevin, sorta, lol. very good time, hope to do it again sometime! :thumbs:

Not all but some pictures from Thursday and Sunday.

671385215_PHYRs-X3.png

671385048_mFtwf-X3.png

671384852_RAwrt-X3.png

671071093_5q8BF-X3.png

671082818_JmUi8-X3.png

671070977_qmkfU-X3.png

671358579_ZmxDk-X3.png

And even though we sort of posted a photo like this from the UTH tour--this is the only one I've fixed up so far...when I get home from work I'll post the rest. :)

671385509_jCNCN-X3.png

just to put in a tiny bit about last night at HHN...

i was really impressed overall with everything compared to my previous trip on opening night. as i was hoping, it seems they either stepped it up on amount of staff or maybe everyone just got into their groove a bit better.
either way, the scares were there a lot more in my opinion.

also, as a side note, it was a lot busier than i remember some of the early off-peak nights being last year, so i'm sure it's only going to get busier as the year goes on. but even with that, we did get to 7 of 8 houses, walked thru all scarezones, but no shows.

and i'm glad i got to meet brian, adrianna and james last night! and kevin, sorta, lol. very good time, hope to do it again sometime! :thumbs:

I see how ya are, we wait in line 60 minutes and I scream behind you through Dracula like a little girl and no love. :p I'm joking!!!! We had fun hanging with you guys for our one house together! Hopefully we can meet up again without the kid one night too! So I need to contribute my Snake boy pic too:

ornrk9.jpg

And one favorite of Ryan from last night too:

98sgw5.jpg

I see how ya are, we wait in line 60 minutes and I scream behind you through Dracula like a little girl and no love. :p I'm joking!!!! We had fun hanging with you guys for our one house together! Hopefully we can meet up again without the kid one night too! So I need to contribute my Snake boy pic too:

oh my goodness, i am sooo sorry!! :)

lol, i am still so tired today too, i dunno what i was thinking!!
how in the world did i forget to mention my fellow buckeye!?

it was really good to meet you too !!! :D

Hey, can anyone flim or find a good Chucky: Friends til the end video? because, from what I have heard, it is a really cool house, and that it is like a messed up Toy Story.

Please and Thank you!:thumbs:
-------------------------------
And damn Ghostrider! You pictures are great! You NEED a DeviantART account! :D

Last edited:
Well I took those videos during the Unmasking the Horror Tour where they allow video. During the event, they are a lot harsher when enforcing the camera rule.

Here are most of my pictures from the Unmasking the Horror tour. I'm putting them under a Spoiler cut in case some people haven't been through Frankenstein or Dracula and don't want to be spoiled. Brian will probably have a written review of the tour and what we learned tonight. :)

Frankenstein:
IMG_8945.png

IMG_8946.png

IMG_8956.png

IMG_8959.png

IMG_8960.png

IMG_8969.png

IMG_8970.png

IMG_8971.png

IMG_8972.png

IMG_8977.png

IMG_8986.png

IMG_8996.png

IMG_8997.png

Dracula:
IMG_9004.png

IMG_9013.png

IMG_9014.png

IMG_9020.png

IMG_9022.png

IMG_9029.png

IMG_9031.png

IMG_9033.png

IMG_9036.png

IMG_9037.png

IMG_9049.png

IMG_9051.png

A few quick things that I found interesting regarding the houses.

Frankenstein:

• Through out the house, you can see the designs took some influence from early German horror films. You can also see that the designers try to give the house some character as you can find some areas mimic the Monsters's famous scar and stitches.
  • The story is set a few months after "Bride of Frankenstein". Dr. Frankenstein is back to continue his work, and the Monster wants revenge for his bride. The smell being pumped is to give the effect of embers still lit throughout the rubble.
  • Since projections have to have a certain amount of distance for the effect to have the proper dimensions, the silhouette of Frankenstein's Monster is actually reflected off a mirror, instead of placing as far back behind the screen as possible. The actor playing the monster in that scene is none other then J. Michael Roddy.
  • Frankenstein's Monster is known as "Alpha" in this house. His bride is "Beta". The other creations go down the "phonetic alphabet". (ie Gamma, Delta)
  • In the past, the infamous "cutting the leg" scene used rebar to give the effect of the blade cutting through the bone. The problem though, is that after every few days, they would have to replace it since the blade would actually cut through the rebar. This year, the fixed it by using reinforced steel so they won't be having that issue anymore.
  • The pipes at the end of the house is actually the same pipes that were used in the "Hansel & Gretel" scene from last year's Scary Tales III.

Dracula:

• Cindy Caine's coffin is in the "Coffin Room". It's the small, white coffin. Interesting to note that is actually against the law to have living, or dead people inside a coffin. That's why you'll never find an actor in there. Another FYI, all of those coffins are used.
  • The entrance of the house is obviously a reference to "Vlad the Impaler". The scene is supposed to play out that "Dracula" is feasting at the table amongst his dead enemies when he hears you (the guest) approaching and he leaves into the castle to prepare for the encounter. You'll notice the bloody napkin on the table.
  • For those unfamiliar to the story, the "pretty" brides are the women who accepted Dracula's invite of "The Calling". The ugly ones, better known as "Feral Brides", are those who reject his offer. The entrance littered with all the heads on spears are the men who decided to try and rescue their women from their ultimate fate.
  • Renfield makes an appearance during the middle of the house. You can find him playing with his dead animals, keeping true to the story. You can also find a pig in this scene without a head. The head is located in a scene in Frankenstein.
  • Yes, the statue in the beginning is from Screamhouse.
Wolfman:

• The gypsy recites a poem in the beginning of the house. See if it sounds familiar:

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night / May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms, and the autumn moon is bright.

• That poem will show up again later in the "Tomb Scene". Only this time, it's in latin.
  • In the same scene, you can find a reference to "An American Werewolf in London".

Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors.

• A lot of the stuffed animal heads you see actually come from some of the HHN Creative team who also happen to be hunters.
  • The trees are real. It's not recommended that you touch them since they do have sap, and that can be a bit sticky.
  • The end scene was supposed play out a lot differently then what you see now:

Instead of the Wolfman running up to you, the Wolfman was supposed to fly back after the Hunter got his shot off. However, due to safety concerns they decided to go with the version you see now.

We were also treated to a surprise, but was asked to hold off on sharing it until after the event is over. So come November 1st, we will share it with you guys.