Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

Yeah true, TrT is so requested that if it flops that’ll be a really bad failure; even though the Conjuring Universe & IT(and sort of Scream & Hellraiser) are the only properties I want at HHN I’m relieved neither showed up this year or last year since they deserve better than black hallways. Still gonna hold judgement out for this year when it happens but it is disappointing news. So did Universal shift most of the budget to Stranger Things or did Netflix demand it be done right? Really happy the Upside Down won’t be a black hallway though

Part of me does wonder that if Netflix allows them to do ST next year, will they have the capability of being able to reuse the same SS, or will we have another instance of 747. If we lose that SS next year and are unable to have an SS maze, I wonder how that will impact ST at future events.

I know this sounds harsh, but I really don't want Murdy to touch the sought after properties with a ten foot pole. I don't want the Conjuring, Hellraiser, It, Scream, or the Thing to come to the event until after he's gone. Look what he did to the Shinning and Ash Vs Evil Dead (Exorcist is debatable). While Stranger Things may be an exception, as that's too big of an IP to screw up, he allowed those houses to be cut down into an abysmal state of empty rooms, black walls, and lackluster effects. Sure, you can argue he had to deal with budget cuts, but even then, wouldn't you prioritize quality over anything else? Why would you add another maze or spread everything out thin when you really need to use that money to make your long-sought-after properties shine as best as it can? Why would you make the Shinning suffer as much as you did when you can keep the count at seven mazes and scrounge up the money as best you can to make sure at least the anticipated ones will get their proper treatment?

It may be a blessing in disguise that we lost It, AHS(?), Halloween(?), Conjuring, and the Thing as they probably would've received the treatment Shinning and AvED did. I fear Murdy may see Trick 'r Treat as an opportunity to reuse every prop in the warehouse instead of giving that long, LONG awaited property its proper due. I would absolutely love to be wrong, but after what happened last year, I fear he may not fight very hard for quality in UCM or Trick r Treat.

I know this sounds harsh, but I really don't want Murdy to touch the sought after properties with a ten foot pole. I don't want the Conjuring, Hellraiser, It, Scream, or the Thing to come to the event until after he's gone. Look what he did to the Shinning and Ash Vs Evil Dead (Exorcist is debatable). While Stranger Things may be an exception, as that's too big of an IP to screw up, he allowed those houses to be cut down into an abysmal state of empty rooms, black walls, and lackluster effects. Sure, you can argue he had to deal with budget cuts, but even then, wouldn't you prioritize quality over anything else? Why would you add another maze or spread everything out thin when you really need to use that money to make your long-sought-after properties shine as best as it can? Why would you make the Shinning suffer as much as you did when you can keep the count at seven mazes and scrounge up the money as best you can to make sure at least the anticipated ones will get their proper treatment?

It may be a blessing in disguise that we lost It, AHS(?), Halloween(?), Conjuring, and the Thing as they probably would've received the treatment Shinning and AvED did. I fear Murdy may see Trick 'r Treat as an opportunity to reuse every prop in the warehouse instead of giving that long, LONG awaited property its proper due. I would absolutely love to be wrong, but after what happened last year, I fear he may not fight very hard for quality in UCM or Trick r Treat.

I didn't even think about it this way and holy crap. Suddenly I'm so excited It got cut??

Exorcist still could've been done better IMO

You experienced "Universal Monsters Remix", get ready for the Universal Monsters Topless Revue in 3D!
This year will instantly be a 10/10, no complaints from me bahaha

They should start considering doing more mazes when they can do the 7 mazes we have without filling then with black walls
Shots fired, bahaha. But the quality of ALL the mazes were VERY high back when we only had 3-5 mazes, so a part of me wishes we'd return to that -- especially if we're ONLY doing IP houses. Original houses would warrant an extra maze or two, but with 5, we have less of a chance of running out of IPs. I want more mazes, but also quality needs to be on par. I'd be fine with 5 mazes and a lot more street entertainment, shows, and special ride layovers to keep me happy throughout the night.

Look what he did to the Shinning and Ash Vs Evil Dead (Exorcist is debatable).
Shining wasn't that bad, if anything, it mostly suffered from location. AvED was pretty bad though. But neither of those were TITE or Clowns bad, so I can't even be that mad.

Exorcist still could've been done better IMO
Did you see Orlando's? Honestly, I think ours was better. They had a bit more stuff, but I liked our simple approach better and it allowed for the scares to hit really hard.

Dang when you put it this way I agree. I'll be honest though I would've loved to have seen him take a crack at Asylum since I know it was his (and my) favorite season. Unfortunately may seem like we'll never get it.

Whoever replaces him I hope is a risk taker. I'm still incredibly offended Murdy said Twin Peaks wasn't a horror property yet he goes out and does This is the End... GTFO.

I'm still hoping we get at least 4 good mazes this year.

Dang when you put it this way I agree. I'll be honest though I would've loved to have seen him take a crack at Asylum since I know it was his (and my) favorite season. Unfortunately may seem like we'll never get it.

Whoever replaces him I hope is a risk taker. I'm still incredibly offended Murdy said Twin Peaks wasn't a horror property yet he goes out and does This is the End... GTFO.

He said Twin Peaks wasn't horror?
Well a haunted house isn't just jump scares.
Check mate, Murdy.

Yep! I asked him on Twitter what he thought of Lynch and if he'd ever do a Twin Peaks house to which he said "I never considered Twin Peaks a horror property". Lost some of my respect there.
Yeah Murdy is a strange man. It really shows where his priorities are at when he’d rather do TitE and not Twin Peaks. Gotta hook up with them celebrities.

If anyone wondered why he does Freddy and Jason so much, he said to my face a while back (Back in the good ‘ol days when HHN was more underground and we would have “gatherings”) that he could bring back Freddy every year for the next ten years and people would still flock in because he’s such an iconic IP. Yeah...

Agreed on everything but The Shining since that was the first maze I ever did in HW(I thought it was good but never felt I was in the Overlook except for the Here’s Johnny Room). I like Murdy as a person but we NEED a new CD since every scare is the same and everything last year felt recycled, ESPECIALLY Insidious. Also Halloween is coming to both coasts, but what version is supposedly unknown(hoping for the Blumhouse version though)

Ah... guessing Asylum was too political for Hollywood to tackle(not surprised after the Knott’s thing). Don’t know why they wouldn’t do Coven or Cult then but this year is confusing as hell. And yeah Twin Peaks is definitely Horror, didn’t he say Scream wasn’t maze worthy at one point or did I make that up? Supposedly KKFOS is coming to Orlando as a SZ as test ground for a possible ‘19 Hollywood Maze, definitely a sign Murdy is leaving since he would never do that property

So what are we getting for the Asylum replacement? Or is that up in the air?

Thinking Horrors of Blumhouse 2 from what’s been said on this forum and Orlando’s. That’s the only thing I can think of that would take up the FDTD Tent. If we do get HoB 2 I need Oculus, Visit, & Split since Get Out might be too controversial and I really don’t want Halloween to get shoved in there. Insidious is bound to show up in there if it comes

Agreed on everything but The Shining since that was the first maze I ever did in HW(I thought it was good but never felt I was in the Overlook except for the Here’s Johnny Room). I like Murdy as a person but we NEED a new CD since every scare is the same and everything last year felt recycled, ESPECIALLY Insidious. Also Halloween is coming to both coasts, but what version is supposedly unknown(hoping for the Blumhouse version though)

Ah... guessing Asylum was too political for Hollywood to tackle(not surprised after the Knott’s thing). Don’t know why they wouldn’t do Coven or Cult then but this year is confusing as hell. And yeah Twin Peaks is definitely Horror, didn’t he say Scream wasn’t maze worthy at one point or did I make that up? Supposedly KKFOS is coming to Orlando as a SZ as test ground for a possible ‘19 Hollywood Maze, definitely a sign Murdy is leaving since he would never do that property

I would call BS on Asylum being political.

Thinking Horrors of Blumhouse 2 from what’s been said on this forum and Orlando’s. That’s the only thing I can think of that would take up the FDTD Tent. If we do get HoB 2 I need Oculus, Visit, & Split since Get Out might be too controversial and I really don’t want Halloween to get shoved in there. Insidious is bound to show up in there if it comes
If they were to not shove Halloween into a HOB2 house, I would be totally fine with the change. Admittedly, I'm not a huge AHS fan though so I'm way biased.

If they were to not shove Halloween into a HOB2 house, I would be totally fine with the change. Admittedly,I'm not a huge AHS fan though so I way biased.
Not a huge AHS fan either but Asylum is just brilliantly written. My favorite season of the series. The horror and storytelling meshes so well.

And to be fair, I've only watched Murder House, Roanoke, and Freak Show. So I mostly don't know what I'm missing.

I love Murdy but there have been very questionable things like that in the past where I'm like WTF REALLY?

If anyone wondered why he does Freddy and Jason so much, he said to my face a while back (Back in the good ‘ol days when HHN was more underground and we would have “gatherings”) that he could bring back Freddy every year for the next ten years and people would still flock in because he’s such an iconic IP. Yeah...
He's not wrong though. And as much as we want to purely look at things from a creative view, to be successful, he also has to look at it like a business. There's a fine line and he's always been on that tightrope. Most of the time successfully and only a rare mis-step or two where business got the best of him and he did something incredibly ridiculous.... like the aforementioned TiTE haha.

Supposedly KKFOS is coming to Orlando as a SZ as test ground for a possible ‘19 Hollywood Maze, definitely a sign Murdy is leaving since he would never do that property
I think he's said he's always wanted to do that as a maze. I know there was a variation of the concept on the Terror Tram back in either 07 or 08 in the Whoville area that was fun.

If we do get HoB 2 I need Oculus, Visit, & Split since Get Out might be too controversial and I really don’t want Halloween to get shoved in there.
Halloween can happily get shoved in there lol we've had full blown Halloween mazes a good 3 times and I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see it only be 33% of a big maze. I know you're newer to HHN, so I can't blame ya for having that mindset. If things stay on this track, I guarantee you'll probably get another Halloween maze within the next 5-10 years though. But as of now, it's not as highly coveted to the rest of the fan base or even the GP. If we get one on the new movie, cool, if not, I have no qualms about it.

And to be fair, I've only watched Murder House, Roanoke, and Freak Show. So I mostly don't know what I'm missing.

Asylum is sooo good; but I’m also biased. It’s a little less scary than Roanoke but it’s probably the best season of AHS. I only want it so badly since Orlando got it and Murdy always says how he wants to do it

Edit - @DTH they had KKFOS in Hollywood??? That would be so cool; I didn’t think Murdy was the type to do that though since properties like Scream were a TT and TiTE was a maze