Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 200 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
remember guys just because it's a bad movie dosen't mean it can't be a good maze
EXAMPLES
the thing [2011]
Texas chainsaw massacre [was based on the remake]
my bloody valentine
alien vs predator

The Thing & TCM remakes weren’t bad tbh; I prefer the 03 TCM to the 1974 one.

Not a surprise to me, tbh. We knew it was an original take on the Monsters. The soundtrack doesn't really change my excitement level.

Same, I’m just worried because the last maze Slash did is considered one of the worst

The Thing & TCM remakes weren’t bad tbh; I prefer the 03 TCM to the 1974 one.

Yeah, both Thing (prequel) and the TCM Remake (and sequel, "New Beginning") weren't bad films by any stretch of the imagination.

However, the material in both of those two, aren't as bad to what UDW and TFP do. And to be perfectly frank, I have no appeal to see how they'd be translated as a house, especially as it will go one way or another, for worse and worsen.

Reactions: horrornights789
The "Classic Monsters" part sounds great... Everything else in the title though.
No....No....NO.....NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Pun intended... we'll be getting some "classic" rock in this maze.
Of friggin' course. :thud::thud::thud::thud::thud::thud:

Why can't Murdy just do a true Classic Monsters house? Why does have to use each maze as an opportunity to hook up with a celebrity? Is he really this out-of-touch?

Bloody hell, this event can't possibly get any more ridiculous.

Last edited:

Be careful, 2018 may be the year he decides to bring back 3-D Murdy-vision for this maze of his! That being said, it may not be as distracting; I doubt there'll be flashing lights and bright colors that attempt to turn it into a night club vibe, like UMR was in 2012-2013. Maybe the music can add some more life to it, given that the classic monsters may not look like their original selves.

Why can't Murdy just do a true Classic Monsters house? Why does he to use each maze as an opportunity to hook up with a celebrity? Is he really this out-of-touch?

Knowing the odds, you just made something magically change with the Terror Tram, having someone collaborate with Murdy.

09162d2b4368f536d3cddd8c7401aba4.gif

:tease:

It's occurred to me we aren't really getting any truly "scary" properties this year, at least in the traditional sense...

Trick R Treat is decidedly horror comedy.
Stranger Things is more horror-adjacent than straight horror (nothing in the show is particularly *terrifying*).
Universal Classic Monsters could've been scary in a Gothic creepiness sort of way, but the inclusion of rock music will turn this into a more of a rave/"experience.
First Purge, the movie, is barely a horror flick - it's more of a Blaxploitation political satire. It's in no way scary.
Truth or Dare/Unfriended don't really require an explanation.

Poltergeist comes closest, but it's still a family-friendly horror endeavor that's more Haunted Mansion-spooky than full-on terrifying. (There are definitely moments - the clown, bodies in the pool - that are "scary.") Halloween 4 could potentially be "scary" in the sense that Michael Myers is "scary" by default, but he's likely going to be in an environment divorced from what's typically compelling about the Halloween franchise (i.e. the first and arguably the second movie).

Even the announced & rumored zones aren't terrifying in tone. Holidayz of Horror are fundamentally silly/over-the-top, as is Killer Klownz.

Maybe we need to accept that Halloween Horror Nights isn't supposed to be scary this year. Stranger Things's inclusion certainly hints at that directorial shift.

Reactions: HHNManics
It's occurred to me we aren't really getting any truly "scary" properties this year, at least in the traditional sense...

Stranger Things is more horror-adjacent than straight horror (nothing in the show is particularly *terrifying*).
Universal Classic Monsters could've been scary in a Gothic creepiness sort of way, but the inclusion of rock music will turn this into a more of a rave/"experience.
First Purge, the movie, is barely a horror flick - it's more of a Blaxploitation political satire. It's in no way scary.

Poltergeist comes closest, but it's still a family-friendly horror endeavor that's more Haunted Mansion-spooky than full-on terrifying. (There are definitely moments - the clown, bodies in the pool - that are "scary.") Halloween 4 could potentially be "scary" in the sense that Michael Myers is "scary" by default, but he's likely going to be in an environment divorced from what's typically compelling about the Halloween franchise (i.e. the first and arguably the second movie).

Even the announced & rumored zones aren't terrifying in tone. Holidayz of Horror are fundamentally silly/over-the-top, as is Killer Klownz.

Maybe we need to accept that Halloween Horror Nights isn't supposed to be scary this year. Stranger Things's inclusion certainly hints at that directorial shift.

Considering though that Orlando so-far has not seemed to be changing, I think we need to not look at it as directional shifts..but perhaps something that may intend to mean something for Hollywood's creative team.

What’s weird to me is that they’re not taking the threat of WB seriously. You’d think they’d wanna pull out all the new stops and use a ton of new content that actually makes sense(which they have but some of the choices that are rumored are big WTFs). It’s anazing how much Blumhouse(ToD and Unfriended) and The First Purge have lowered our expectations

Reactions: Clive
What’s gonna happen if Horror Made Here destroys HHN Hollywood this year? I’d imagine they’ll bring back AHS and try to get at least 1 of the Miramax IP’s

Reactions: chris.g
With regards to Horror Made Here and HHN, I think Murdy has decided that he's done all he can, in regards to trying to get modern, in-demand IPs from WB, for now. Given that we've lost The Conjuring a few times already, and now IT, and you add that most likely we'll be seeing those IPs again at this year's HMH, he probably rationalized that 1. he got Trick 'r Treat (another WB owned film), and 2. next year may be better, what with HMH trying something new again and not relying on those 2 IPs, the way Hollywood relies on The Purge, Titans of Terror, Insidious etc.., and the arrival of IT Chapter 2, and another Conjuring franchise installment next year, he's decided that those 2 IPs for this year weren't probably worth fighting for too much.

Last edited:

Yup, this is one of two concerns I have about Orlando this year, and you can add HDD to that list--though having multiple truly scary properties fall through/be unavailable (It and Conjuring due to HMH, Alien presumably due to the war with Disney for Fox, New Halloween for some reason) will do that to you. At least we'll be getting four truly scary original houses.

Poltergeist and TrT are both WB...
I'ma say the predicted lineup is wrong and say Halloween is going in HOB and IT or Conjuring will be the Waterworld venue.
OR
If Halloween isn't in HOB, then Waterworld is TOT2 with MM included.

Last edited:
Poltergeist and TrT are both WB...
I'ma say the predicted lineup is wrong and say Halloween is going in HOB and IT or Conjuring will be the Waterworld venue.
OR
If Halloween isn't in HOB, then Waterworld is TOT2 with MM included.

Poltergeist is Metro Goldwyn and TrT is Legendary. I do wish we’d get Conjuring & Halloween 2018 though