Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

@Chris Galindo or @Fallow can correct me, but I thought it was more relating to that the production company (in this case, Legendary) has the control of what can come out, if they own the IP themselves.
You are correct.

Rights aren't always owned by the distributor, and sometimes they are owned for only a certain period of time and then they can revert back to the original rights holder.

With It and The Conjuring New Line (a subsidiary of WB) owns the rights as the production company. Trick 'r Treat is owned by Legendary which is a completely independent film company, so WB was not involved with that at all.

Just to further confuse the matter, some creators negotiate creative control on how an IP is used. So anything WB wants to do with Harry they have to ask J.K. Rowling.

ok but is it weird i'd actually be excited for a scooby doo maze
I'd be down for Scooby-Doo... it has plenty of material. Besides, I want a Goosebumps maze :lol:

Pun intended... we'll be getting some "classic" rock in this maze.
"Feed My Frankenstein" ...."Monster Mash"...

It ain't Classic Rock with Universal Monsters, unless you get Beetlejuice into the melody. :tease:
TOO SOON. TOO. SOON. :chainsaw::'(

I feel like a better way to attach some famous name would be directors and people actually involved in film rather than musician from a dying genre.
Hello HHN Hollywood pre-hiatus years from 1997-2000.... Clive Barker, Rob Zombie... although they did do a WWE Undertaker maze :look:

Maybe we need to accept that Halloween Horror Nights isn't supposed to be scary this year.
To be fair, HHN was always seen as more of a big Halloween party that just happened to include thrills & chills

HHN has an entirely new vibe to it now. Anybody else get what I mean? Take a look at this TB video:

Theres something that had that HHN doesn't have now...

Ive noticed it too. Part of me wonders if the built up controversy of 2013 and 2014 somehow caused the shift some time after, something definitely did feel different after 2o14 though.

HHN has an entirely new vibe to it now. Anybody else get what I mean? Take a look at this TB video:

Theres something that had that HHN doesn't have now...

Honestly the whole event feels different from those years even the previews changed adding horrible stock music that doesn’t even fit the video

Attachments

• D7E5BF7B-B329-4172-8FFE-6D2912035D78.jpeg
    D7E5BF7B-B329-4172-8FFE-6D2912035D78.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 2
Poltergeist is Metro Goldwyn and TrT is Legendary. I do wish we’d get Conjuring & Halloween 2018 though
Dang, I think I confused Poltergeist for WB since WB distributed the DVD haha
and Legendary currently has a deal with Universal, so that makes sense too.

Oh well, I still don't think Uni can afford to lose out on IT or Conjuring for another year. Stranger Things is big, but GP will still have a total fit if they don't get one of those AGAIN. The only reason Murdy didn't do It last year was because it wasn't a proven success, had nothing to do with Neibolt house. Now it's the biggest horror film of all time, he'll be crucified if he didn't bleed to snag that property.

And that promo video looks the same to what we get now. I think you guys just have on your rose tinted glasses for yesteryear lol not a whole lot has changed, TBH

Dang, I think I confused Poltergeist for WB since WB distributed the DVD haha
and Legendary currently has a deal with Universal, so that makes sense too.

Oh well, I still don't think Uni can afford to lose out on IT or Conjuring for another year. Stranger Things is big, but GP will still have a total fit if they don't get one of those AGAIN. The only reason Murdy didn't do It last year was because it wasn't a proven success, had nothing to do with Neibolt house. Now it's the biggest horror film of all time, he'll be crucified if he didn't bleed to snag that property.

If 2019 doesn’t have one of the 5 dream properties(IT, Conjuring, Thing, Scream, Hellraiser) there’s probably gonna be a riot lol.

On another note if they added Unfriended this late in the game they could’ve easily picked up A Quiet Place right? Or scrapped Blumhouse and done “The Horrors of A24” since Hereditary & The Witch have all been decent hits

Last edited:
If 2019 doesn’t have one of the 5 dream properties(IT, Conjuring, Thing, Scream, Hellraiser) there’s probably gonna be a riot lol.

On another note if they added Unfriended this late in the game they could’ve easily picked up A Quiet Place right? Or scrapped Blumhouse and done “The Horrors of A24” since Hereditary, The Witch, Babadook, and It Follows have all been decent hits

two of those aren't A24

My educated guess would be joint Poltergeist announcement at MSS, along with the side reveal that Killer Klowns is also coming to Hollywood in the tunnel.

I have a feeling that Blumhouse of Horrors will drop last and late (post Scare Academy), just like it did last year.

So I re-watched Poltergeist again and HOLY CRAP, what an utterly TERRIFYING film. I don't remember it being anywhere near that scary when I last rewatched it in '15 before seeing the remake. When I was a kid (I started watching horror movies very early, like 5 years old, and this was one of my first introductions to the genre since it was PG), I was always traumatized by the face rip-off scene and the worm scene in part 2, and some of the imagery, tone and environments in part 3. It's a movie I can say I've watched alot, at least 20-30 times, part 2 a lot less (maybe 2-3 times), and part 3 I've oddly seen a lot too, maybe because it was on TV the most and we had it recorded on VHS (10-15 times).

I don't know why this specific last time worked so well on me. Maybe it's because I'm older and I can imagine that family element a bit better, and how exactly that situation could be so scary. For me, this was on the level of The Exorcist, and I think it's been underrated all these years for not being a more prominent fixture in the horror realm. Maybe it's because it has a lot of that Spielberg whimsy with the music, but the scary parts are genuinely unnerving. And the last 15 minutes is absolute chaos, one of the best horror climaxes I've ever seen. I don't know why I neeeevver recognized it, maybe I was just so used to it before. It's something I'd watch on a yearly basis, but I took a 3 year break from it since the time before the remake.

I can now say I am absolutely 10 times more THRILLED for this series to come to HHN. With the event in mind, there's so many things I can see working and I think it'll be a phenomenal maze and hopefully this year's best. Everyone should definitely give it a re-watch sometime soon.

I'm still not convinced that Poltergeist 1 is a good idea. There simply aren't enough maze-ready environments and characters. Off the top of my head, you have...

-the huge ghoul in the closet (puppet?)
-the tree (puppet?)
-the clown (...puppet or short actor or something?)
-bathroom flesh guy
-poster image vignette

You could probably do a dangling body scene that's meant to be "the pool" from the climax, but even that's a stretch. How does this get stretched into a ten scene maze without resorting to black wall city? Naturally the conversation changes if they're taking on the 2nd and 3rd films, but as far as I know we're only looking at the OG...

I'm still not convinced that Poltergeist 1 is a good idea. There simply aren't enough maze-ready environments and characters. Off the top of my head, you have...

-the huge ghoul in the closet (puppet?)
-the tree (puppet?)
-the clown (...puppet or short actor or something?)
-bathroom flesh guy
-poster image vignette

You could probably do a dangling body scene that's meant to be "the pool" from the climax, but even that's a stretch. How does this get stretched into a ten scene maze without resorting to black wall city? Naturally the conversation changes if they're taking on the 2nd and 3rd films, but as far as I know we're only looking at the OG...

There’s also the Ghost dimension that they go through to get Carol Anne, as well as the staircase scene with the ghostbusters, the infinity hallway, and bedroom scenes depending on how much special effects they wanna do