Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
John replied to tweets about The Conjuring and Stranger Things; to the Conjuring he said it’s perfect for HHN and that the Crooked Man would be a stilt walker, and that for ST he’s checking it out. Most likely were getting these two for 2018

If he's saying he'll check out Stranger Things and how he'd do Crooked Man for Conjuring at HHN, it's very likely he'll either stay as creative director for one more year OR stay on as a consultant to help pass the torch to his successor next year..

If he's saying he'll check out Stranger Things and how he'd do Crooked Man for Conjuring at HHN, it's very likely he'll either stay as creative director for one more year OR stay on as a consultant to help pass the torch to his successor next year..

I hope he stays, but if he does I hope they give fan requested properties(TrT, AHS Asylum, IT, Stranger Things, Conjuring, an ORIGINAL) and don’t mess with the budget next year

I'm leaning towards the latter. He REALLY wants to be with his family, and he's being very public about it. Another year would be rough on him.

Is Scream a possibility for 2018 with the Weinstein thing going on? I’m not begging for a house on it but if there’s a time to do it and take advantage of the rights it’s probably now

I'm gonna stress this again: the Weinstein Company does NOT own Scream! Miramax owns Scream (and, I believe, Hellraiser); Harvey Weinstein used to be the chief producer there, but he left the company to found TWC. Miramax is, as of 2016, owned by a media conglomerate based in Qatar.

Will the chaos surronding Harvey Weinstein make Miramax more generous with their IPs? Maybe. But don't get your hopes too high.

(Sidenote: I think this is why Murdy is waiting for a a reboot w/ Hellraiser: it'd be easier to get he rights that way.)

To add onto what Freak said, Pinhead, as opposed to Freddy, Jason, Michael, Chucky and Leatherface, isn't super iconic as he used to be. In part due to a lot of the recent movies in the franchise being direct to DVD bombs. Personally the first 2 Hellraiser films are fantastic and good enough for a maze. The 3rd one is okay, but it's starting with 4 where the franchise started goinh downhill. Especially since after 8, Doug Bradley stopped playing Pinhead. Thus I can kinda see why this factor makes it complicated to bring to the event in terms of popularity and how the recent movies can throw non horror fans off.

To add onto what Freak said, Pinhead, as opposed to Freddy, Jason, Michael, Chucky and Leatherface, isn't super iconic as he used to be. In part due to a lot of the recent movies in the franchise being direct to DVD bombs. Personally the first 2 Hellraiser films are fantastic and good enough for a maze. The 3rd one is okay, but it's starting with 4 where the franchise started goinh downhill. Especially since after 8, Doug Bradley stopped playing Pinhead. Thus I can kinda see why this factor makes it complicated to bring to the event in terms of popularity and how the recent movies can throw non horror fans off.
There’s been 8 Hellraiser movies?! I thought there were only two.. Then again I’ve only seen the very first one.

Reactions: Rideguy70
Guys... I was very wrong. Scream and Hellraiser were distributed by Dimension films, which used to be owned by Miramax but is now owned by the Weinstein Company.

Very sorry for the confusion.

On the bright side, that means that there's a better chance of those properties coming now!

Edit: it looks like the only reason why there are so many hellraiser movies is that they need to pump out cheap Films in order to keep the license. Dimension Films actually lost the Halloween series because e they didn't make a new film in a number of years.

Reactions: Clive
Guys... I was very wrong. Scream and Hellraiser were distributed by Dimension films, which used to be owned by Miramax but is now owned by the Weinstein Company.

Very sorry for the confusion.

On the bright side, that means that there's a better chance of those properties coming now!

Edit: it looks like the only reason why there are so many hellraiser movies is that they need to pump out cheap Films in order to keep the license. Dimension Films actually lost the Halloween series because e they didn't make a new film in a number of years.

I was about to point out that Scream was in fact controlled by Weinstein.

There are a weird amount of franchise licensing deals that are contingent on a new release every so often - you see them here with small horror brands but also huge institutions like Fantastic Four.

Murdy expressed great frustration with the scare zones sets this year. Should we expect more elaborate scare zones like Orlando next year?
Please! It bothered the crap out of me that the Parisian Streets or SSFL were completely empty this year! There's so much space to build a Scare Zone back there!

Reactions: Freak
Murdy expressed great frustration with the scare zones sets this year. Should we expect more elaborate scare zones like Orlando next year?

He said more of that due to the construction of DWTheater and ASS, things had to be changed to accomodate HHN in the midst of the construction in the upper lot, due to those projects not being complete. Next year shouldn't be as much of a problem, but it will still be a question that should be looked at, as I do hope it improves.

Either way, I do think Murdy is leaving the CD role, but a part of me wonders; could he come back to act as ab advisor for the new CD, and that's why he's saying the "To Be continued..?"?

Please! It bothered the crap out of me that the Parisian Streets or SSFL were completely empty this year! There's so much space to build a Scare Zone back there!

Parisian was used as a patio/check-in area for VIP tours as well as a major access point for actors getting into Blumhouse. Not sure that spot'll be coming back as long as there's a maze in the Courtyard, unfortunately.

Parisian was used as a patio/check-in area for VIP tours as well as a major access point for actors getting into Blumhouse. Not sure that spot'll be coming back as long as there's a maze in the Courtyard, unfortunately.

Doubt it.

(Parisian was not used as a patio check in since it was a maze location, French Street was used as the patio area FYI:saywhat: )

In my personal opinion that area was pointless in blocking off this year. Correct me if I'm wrong but the actor hangout for HOB was behind HOB and required no walking in between the streets.

Doubt it.

(Parisian was not used as a patio check in since it was a maze location, French Street was used as the patio area FYI:saywhat: )

In my personal opinion that area was pointless in blocking off this year. Correct me if I'm wrong but the actor hangout for HOB was behind HOB and required no walking in between the streets.

I think we were pretty clear on what I meant (since I was quoting someone discussing the Parisian streets), but feel free to try and one-up me...?

No, Blumhouse used a spot (visible from the VIP check-in if you were looking) on the street and the Gru's Lab patio was a make-up station/break area. It would absolutely have to be a dead end even if you could reconfigure a single entry point into the Blumhouse maze directly across from Despicable Delights (no easy feat).