Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Off the top of my head, here are the major IPs that are gettable/likely. This is said with no inside information.

IT
Stranger Things
Blumhouse's Halloween
Insidious: Chapter 4 (...I could see them doing a larger build-out exclusively geared to the 4th movie as originally planned)
Purge 4
The Thing (been on wish lists for years, is another "classic IP" that could be leveraged)
Trick r Treat (would probably go in the Krampus/Ash vs Evil Dead slot as the cult favorite. Significantly more likely after successful zone in Orlando, who I bet would also get their own maze)

What won't happen:
Conjuring/Annabelle/The Nun (Court date is in April. Universal won't touch it until the rights are free & clear. Depending on how everything shakes out, maybe in 2019.)

To be honest, I can see Halloween come back almost by default for both Hollywood and Orlando, as Universal Pictures is the distributor of the film; and that Jason Blum has had relationships with the creative teams for HHN.

And, to also say something; preview houses aren't something out of the norm for HHN, as Orlando and Hollywood were going to do Wolfman in 09 if I'm not mistaken, but that Hollywood had to change Wolfman. And that if I am not mistaken, The Thing from 2011 for both coasts was a preview house for the prequel to the original that came out that year.

And that's not even mentioning Dracula Untold and Crimson Peak.

At-least, that's my take on Halloween for next year, as I have it right now in my betting pool on the high end for those reasons.
__

That said, I agree on The Conjuring. I don't see it happening until the case is all settled and taken cared of, regardless of if the Hollywood and Orlando teams wants to.

Alright, I think I've finally come up with my official speculation for 2018.

FOR SURE PICKS:
It. Logical minds at Uni corporate were thinking "let's wait and see if this will be a hit" when this was announced. Then word got out it's only the first half, and logical minds again were thinking, "well, let's wait for the second half to do a maze on all of it." And then the movie was released, and now I'm sure they're kicking themselves harder than they ever have before, because this is the ONE thing people wanted to see this year and they dropped the freakin' ball extremely hard. This is literally the biggest horror movie ever, and they'll do it next year and for Chapter 2 in 2019, no doubt, and heck, maybe even another year after that for good measure because it'll be so popular.
Halloween. Universal release and a Blumhouse mega-hitter, it's a forsure bonafide box office grab and it'll rejuvenate the franchise. It's one of the Titans that were left out this year and I think Murdy knew this would be coming and that's why he left him off the bill so he could give Micheal a year off for when this baby is birthed. This is happening!
American Horror Story. There's quite a few seasons left over to get to. And unlike TWD, every season is a rolodex of completely new themes of horror they have to work with. This could be at the event for the rest of time, but it'll probably only be around for the next 2-3 years at the most. However, that still makes next year a given.
The Walking Dead - REMIX. The House of Horrors eventually got changed up and I don't see them keeping this maze exactly the same. I'm sure they're going to change SOMETHING about it in someway. A new theme entirely in the maze would be cool, just fit to TWD's locations, but I doubt that'll happen. Maybe it'll mix in Negan or whatever is currently happening, and it may change sometime throughout the year before HHN, but this can't last another year in it's current iteration untouched or it's going to be such a sore and empty spot.

STRONG HOPEFUL POSSIBILITIES:
Scream. It's being requested more than it has in the past and I believe that's because everyone is worn out of the usual killers they've seen over and over. Ghostface was only represented in a horrible, undercoated entry scarezone and a Terror Tram that had nothing to do with the franchise. As for the Weinstein controversy, I don't think that's how theme park rights work or has anything to do directly with them. And look, if they can have the stupid baby face masked killer in Happy Death Day show up for 1/3 of a maze, Murdy's excuse for Ghostface being a joke after Scary Movie is null.
The Conjuring Universe. Again, I don't think theme park rights deal directly with what's going on with the court case. The maze was being done and the case was underway long before that. I think something just dropped the ball somewhere behind the scenes of HHN, like AWIL, FVJ, and Wolfman in the past (which all didn't have court cases to deal with). And those all happened a year or two after they fell through. So I'm counting the Conjuring UNIVERSE in! Whether we'll see a Conjuring maze, I'm not 100% sure. But something based on Annabelle, The Nun, or the Crooked Man? Very strong likelihood, as this is actually the ONLY universe outside of Marvel that's been financial & critical successes.

WILD CARDS:
Slender Man. This is coming out next year, so this depends if Universal wants to take the risk on the movie if it'll be a hit or not. I have a feeling it will be though, as Slender Man has oddly gained urban legend popularity among today's kids.
Alice Cooper Trilogy ender. I absolutely hated the idea of Alice Cooper coming to Universal, but WTMN wasn't that bad, but GTH was awful. However, if Murdy returns, I think it's time he ends his trilogy, thus giving us the original maze we're all clamoring for. I'm open to it, as long as it's as decent as WTMN.
The Strangers 2. Will this be a hit or a direct to video bomb? I have a feeling Universal will sneak them into the theme park somehow, whether it's a scarezone (believe it or not, it's happened before in a dark corner of the park) or a spot on the Terror Tram (where they actually fit pretty nicely). I'm looking forward to their return.
Five Nights at Freddys. I have no idea what the hell this is other than it's a video game, and if video games are going to return, this could happen given that it happened at Fright Dome. Plus it has the name Freddy in it and might convince naive GP to come to the park for a Freddy maze, only to be disappointed with... whatever the hell this is.

THAT WOULD BE STUPID, BUT IT MAY HAPPEN:
Stranger Things. I'm seriously annoyed with how often this is suggested or thrown in the speculation bin. This show has VERY LITTLE maze value. I love the show to death (mostly the second season), but this just would not work. The Six Flags Mexico maze looked God awful and had no scares. They'd also have a hard time casting the main characters, which is the reason we all love the show, but on top of that, they'd probably have no business being in the maze anyway. Now, I can't say it won't happen because I've been surprised before by really stupid ideas that turned out to work (Alice Cooper) and others that did not work at all (Black Sabbath, This Is The End). And look, even with season 3 added in, I don't Netflix would do it. The show has a very hardcore fanbase and a "preview" maze would have potential spoilers that Netflix wouldn't want to share any details, especially if there's scary bits. Everyone just needs to let this one go, at least until 2019. PLEASE. Or we may be looking at one of the most requested and anticipated mazes... that fails miserably.
The Horrors of Blumhouse: Volume 2. This maze was just God awful and I hope it doesn't happen, but it scored really well. I'm hoping Blumhouse puts all their chickens in the Halloween/Michael Myers basket so they don't try this abomination again. BUT IF IT DOES, I would love to see Get Out, Ouija, Paranormal Activity, and/or maybe Sinister get one more try since it was the only saving grace of the Volume 1. Sure, Get Out and Paranormal have very little maze fodder, but if they're only doing a room or two, it'd be fairly easy to do and that's the only beautiful catch with an anthology maze -- something we usually wouldn't see because there's not enough content for a whole maze can be represented in small doses in maze form. I just hope if they try this again, they do something more uniformal, because Volume 1 had no flow and felt so disjointed from each property.
Trick 'r Treat. Okay, this wouldn't exactly be stupid, in fact it would be awesome, but we've heard Murdy's response even after Orlando used it for a scarezone (even Orlando couldn't pull the lever to make it a maze) -- he's waiting for the sequel, and I believe him. This isn't something we should be hopeful about, because it's not happening for another 2-3 years, when the director is done with Godzilla which isn't being released until 2019. Which means TrT won't be released until 2020. And it's very possible they'll want to see how it plays out financially, and we might not see it until 2021. We have a LONG time before this happens. BUT... what if?

Reactions: chris.g
Alright, I think I've finally come up with my official speculation for 2018.

FOR SURE PICKS:
It. Logical minds at Uni corporate were thinking "let's wait and see if this will be a hit" when this was announced. Then word got out it's only the first half, and logical minds again were thinking, "well, let's wait for the second half to do a maze on all of it." And then the movie was released, and now I'm sure they're kicking themselves harder than they ever have before, because this is the ONE thing people wanted to see this year and they dropped the freakin' ball extremely hard. This is literally the biggest horror movie ever, and they'll do it next year and for Chapter 2 in 2019, no doubt, and heck, maybe even another year after that for good measure because it'll be so popular.
Halloween. Universal release and a Blumhouse mega-hitter, it's a forsure bonafide box office grab and it'll rejuvenate the franchise. It's one of the Titans that were left out this year and I think Murdy knew this would be coming and that's why he left him off the bill so he could give Micheal a year off for when this baby is birthed. This is happening!
American Horror Story. There's quite a few seasons left over to get to. And unlike TWD, every season is a rolodex of completely new themes of horror they have to work with. This could be at the event for the rest of time, but it'll probably only be around for the next 2-3 years at the most. However, that still makes next year a given.
The Walking Dead - REMIX. The House of Horrors eventually got changed up and I don't see them keeping this maze exactly the same. I'm sure they're going to change SOMETHING about it in someway. A new theme entirely in the maze would be cool, just fit to TWD's locations, but I doubt that'll happen. Maybe it'll mix in Negan or whatever is currently happening, and it may change sometime throughout the year before HHN, but this can't last another year in it's current iteration untouched or it's going to be such a sore and empty spot.

STRONG HOPEFUL POSSIBILITIES:
Scream. It's being requested more than it has in the past and I believe that's because everyone is worn out of the usual killers they've seen over and over. Ghostface was only represented in a horrible, undercoated entry scarezone and a Terror Tram that had nothing to do with the franchise. As for the Weinstein controversy, I don't think that's how theme park rights work or has anything to do directly with them. And look, if they can have the stupid baby face masked killer in Happy Death Day show up for 1/3 of a maze, Murdy's excuse for Ghostface being a joke after Scary Movie is null.
The Conjuring Universe. Again, I don't think theme park rights deal directly with what's going on with the court case. The maze was being done and the case was underway long before that. I think something just dropped the ball somewhere behind the scenes of HHN, like AWIL, FVJ, and Wolfman in the past (which all didn't have court cases to deal with). And those all happened a year or two after they fell through. So I'm counting the Conjuring UNIVERSE in! Whether we'll see a Conjuring maze, I'm not 100% sure. But something based on Annabelle, The Nun, or the Crooked Man? Very strong likelihood, as this is actually the ONLY universe outside of Marvel that's been financial & critical successes.

WILD CARDS:
Slender Man. This is coming out next year, so this depends if Universal wants to take the risk on the movie if it'll be a hit or not. I have a feeling it will be though, as Slender Man has oddly gained urban legend popularity among today's kids.
Alice Cooper Trilogy ender. I absolutely hated the idea of Alice Cooper coming to Universal, but WTMN wasn't that bad, but GTH was awful. However, if Murdy returns, I think it's time he ends his trilogy, thus giving us the original maze we're all clamoring for. I'm open to it, as long as it's as decent as WTMN.
The Strangers 2. Will this be a hit or a direct to video bomb? I have a feeling Universal will sneak them into the theme park somehow, whether it's a scarezone (believe it or not, it's happened before in a dark corner of the park) or a spot on the Terror Tram (where they actually fit pretty nicely). I'm looking forward to their return.
Five Nights at Freddys. I have no idea what the hell this is other than it's a video game, and if video games are going to return, this could happen given that it happened at Fright Dome. Plus it has the name Freddy in it and might convince naive GP to come to the park for a Freddy maze, only to be disappointed with... whatever the hell this is.

THAT WOULD BE STUPID, BUT IT MAY HAPPEN:
Stranger Things. I'm seriously annoyed with how often this is suggested or thrown in the speculation bin. This show has VERY LITTLE maze value. I love the show to death (mostly the second season), but this just would not work. The Six Flags Mexico maze looked God awful and had no scares. They'd also have a hard time casting the main characters, which is the reason we all love the show, but on top of that, they'd probably have no business being in the maze anyway. Now, I can't say it won't happen because I've been surprised before by really stupid ideas that turned out to work (Alice Cooper) and others that did not work at all (Black Sabbath, This Is The End). And look, even with season 3 added in, I don't Netflix would do it. The show has a very hardcore fanbase and a "preview" maze would have potential spoilers that Netflix wouldn't want to share any details, especially if there's scary bits. Everyone just needs to let this one go, at least until 2019. PLEASE. Or we may be looking at one of the most requested and anticipated mazes... that fails miserably.
The Horrors of Blumhouse: Volume 2. This maze was just God awful and I hope it doesn't happen, but it scored really well. I'm hoping Blumhouse puts all their chickens in the Halloween/Michael Myers basket so they don't try this abomination again. BUT IF IT DOES, I would love to see Get Out, Ouija, Paranormal Activity, and/or maybe Sinister get one more try since it was the only saving grace of the Volume 1. Sure, Get Out and Paranormal have very little maze fodder, but if they're only doing a room or two, it'd be fairly easy to do and that's the only beautiful catch with an anthology maze -- something we usually wouldn't see because there's not enough content for a whole maze can be represented in small doses in maze form. I just hope if they try this again, they do something more uniformal, because Volume 1 had no flow and felt so disjointed from each property.
Trick 'r Treat. Okay, this wouldn't exactly be stupid, in fact it would be awesome, but we've heard Murdy's response even after Orlando used it for a scarezone (even Orlando couldn't pull the lever to make it a maze) -- he's waiting for the sequel, and I believe him. This isn't something we should be hopeful about, because it's not happening for another 2-3 years, when the director is done with Godzilla which isn't being released until 2019. Which means TrT won't be released until 2020. And it's very possible they'll want to see how it plays out financially, and we might not see it until 2021. We have a LONG time before this happens. BUT... what if?

Personally going to say some little things about what you said, if you don't mind.

Slender/FNAF: Talk about two niche's all at once. I will say this, I doubt either will happen; but that if one is to eventually happen in the future, it's FNAF, mainly by a reason that I pointed out back in the 2017 speculation thread.

The IP, is receiving a film over at Blumhouse, and that the creator of FNAF; Scott Cawthon, is being heavily involved with the film (as similar to how Todd McFarlane is seeming to have a huge influence in the Blumhouse Spawn project).

Trick R Treat: If Murdy is gone, I actually see the chances of this coming into play rising, as a new potential CD doesn't have to wait for a Trick R Treat sequel. Tied in with the fact that Orlando got it this past year, it wouldn't phase me if Hollywood's team tackled it as a full maze.

I do not see The Conjuring-verse until the court case is settled, as when that news broke; it seemed that things immediately shifted for both Hollywood and Orlando and that they may want to play it safe until the debacle ends.

As for Scream/Dimension, I honestly doubt it at this point. Scream had it's time in Hollywood and it tanked in quality, and Orlando lost it when they decided that the TV series wasn't really that great and that it was already heading it's way out. Scream, just doesn't make sense business wise at this point; and unless if Universal or Blumhouse buy's the Libary from Dimension once the rubble of the Weinstein/Dimension debacle ends, I doubt we will ever see Scream at the park's.

Hopefully I didn't pick on people, and that I am just seeing some of those things as it is in my point of view.

I still think that The Conjuring had more to do with WBs desire to do it themselves. The rights to F13 are also held up in court and we still got a maze. I think once WB got the Neibolt House they decided to jump into the halloween deep end and two Conjuring mazes that close was just too much for them.

Now that doesn't mean I expect to see The Conjuring this year as I think Warners is going to be very stingy with their current horror IPs. Needless to say I am not holding my breath for an IT maze either.

If I had to do a wishlist I would put Poltergeist at the top. Then I would like to see more original takes on an existing IPs. Maybe a new Titans of Terror with a new crop of icons. I personally like the IP idea, I agree though that I don't need to see the big 3 again for a while.

Reactions: chris.g
I feel like the only givens right now are Walking Dead, Stranger Things, and AHS Asylum. On the subject of AHS, I feel like Cult most likely will never come to Hollywood unless it’s a tram or scarezone; Hollywood seems to stray away from political properties.

I feel like the only givens right now are Walking Dead, Stranger Things, and AHS Asylum. On the subject of AHS, I feel like Cult most likely will never come to Hollywood unless it’s a tram or scarezone; Hollywood seems to stray away from political properties.

To be fair as what @Legacy pointed out, Hollywood and/or could easily dodge the political scenes from Cult with hopefully not as much backfire.

To be fair as what @Legacy pointed out, Hollywood and/or could easily dodge the political scenes from Cult with hopefully not as much backfire.

I think Cult could make a decent house(I just prefer Asylum or Coven to get the transition); but Hollywood’s more prone to get backlash for stuff that involves politics.

On the subject of politics, I mean, let's be honest guys. The Purge is a pretty political series. I'm pretty sure they can get away with making Cult a house mainly focusing on the clowns and not have to deal with the whole politics can of worms.

Now that I think about, a AHS Cult tram would be pretty cool but there's the possibility of the tram getting the boot entirely. Seeing that it is AHS, it'll have guests flock to the tram rather than stay away from it. Even for a tram, this still seems like a high risk-high reward type of deal and it's probably best for it to be a scarezone and let the popular seasons get the glory of a maze. (Not the Cult is bad, probably one of the best seasons)

Now that I think about, a AHS Cult tram would be pretty cool but there's the possibility of the tram getting the boot entirely. Seeing that it is AHS, it'll have guests flock to the tram rather than stay away from it. Even for a tram, this still seems like a high risk-high reward type of deal and it's probably best for it to be a scarezone and let the popular seasons get the glory of a maze. (Not the Cult is bad, probably one of the best seasons)

My biggest problem with Cult tram is that alot of the scariest scenes (and most of the action in general) take place in suburban homes. They could move things like the Asian couple and coffin murders outside, but I dunno. I feel like it wouldn't be the same.

Kai as a Purge-style announcer would be really cool to see, though.

My biggest problem with Cult tram is that alot of the scariest scenes (and most of the action in general) take place in suburban homes. They could move things like the Asian couple and coffin murders outside, but I dunno. I feel like it wouldn't be the same.

Kai as a Purge-style announcer would be really cool to see, though.
That's true but they could also make an original story about it. I tried to think of a quick and cheesy story but it just ends up sounding like Hollywood Harry. I guess they could make it like what they did with Gary and have the guests be "sacrifices" to push Kai's campaign.

Not to mention they could utilize elements from the commercial in the maze, like Orlando and Hollywood have both done before, like Orlando utilizing the nun with the black eyes in the Asylum section, the witches on stilts in the Coven section, the toy monkey from the intro in Hollywood's Freak show section, or the straw walkers from the commercials in our Roanoke ending. Perhaps focus more on the beehive psychological factors, with more clowns not in the actual episodes. However, I'd prefer Asylum be next year instead.

Not to mention they could utilize elements from the commercial in the maze, like Orlando and Hollywood have both done before, like Orlando utilizing the nun with the black eyes in the Asylum section, the witches on stilts in the Coven section, the toy monkey from the intro in Hollywood's Freak show section, or the straw walkers from the commercials in our Roanoke ending. Perhaps focus more on the beehive psychological factors, with more clowns not in the actual episodes. However, I'd prefer Asylum be next year instead.

Yeah; Cult’s been good but I’d much rather see Bloodface, Sister Mary Eunice, the White Nun, the Raspers, and Sister Jude before I see the clown cult

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
If Asylum was done, I'd really love to see scenes like the exorcism or some of the disturbing medical procedures done. As well as characters like Ian McShane's Santa or even the aliens, which I and other fans felt was a distracting factor from the season, but thinks it would fit in a live haunted attraction.

Reactions: horrornights789
If Asylum was done, I'd really love to see scenes like the exorcism or some of the disturbing medical procedures done. As well as characters like Ian McShane's Santa or even the aliens, which I and other fans felt was a distracting factor from the season, but thinks it would fit in a live haunted attraction.

I would bet money the finale to an Asylum maze would just be white light in your face to make it seems as though the guests are getting “abducted”.

Would be a better option than having a black room with an alien puppet reaching from a window with strobe lights.

Damn it now I have my hopes up for a Name Game or Dominique scene. Thinking about it now, I think we got a Roanoke only maze due to the fact that (1) it easily filled up a whole maze and (2) there’d be no way for them to cram Asylum, Coven, and Roanoke into the tent that AHS is usually in while doing the seasons justice