Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so confusing. So, they are going to close TWDA until HHN, and then open it back up? I thought they were going to convert the space into a general operations facility after losing the Globe Theater?

Or, is it that they are removing TWDA, converting the space, and then one of the HHN mazes will be based on TWD, but not necessarily bringing TWDA back itself?

This is so confusing. So, they are going to close TWDA until HHN, and then open it back up? I thought they were going to convert the space into a general operations facility after losing the Globe Theater?

Or, is it that they are removing TWDA, converting the space, and then one of the HHN mazes will be based on TWD, but not necessarily bringing TWDA back itself?

My hope, is that they'll take down TWDA after HHN, but it honestly wouldn't shock me ONE BIT if this becomes as seasonal as Primeval Whirl.

I don’t think this kills RE yet but this still sucks. Everybody is done with TWD and it’s literally just gonna be the attraction

I'm a little confused as to why they would close it in a few weeks just to open it back up in September but I can't say I'm surprised. They'll tout it as an extra maze until they physically cannot anymore. I hope they can at least use the extra downtime to alter the layout somehow as a last hurrah of sorts. I doubt they will, but oh well.

I'm a little confused as to why they would close it in a few weeks just to open it back up in September but I can't say I'm surprised. They'll tout it as an extra maze until they physically cannot anymore. I hope they can at least use the extra downtime to alter the layout somehow as a last hurrah of sorts. I doubt they will, but oh well.

Money. Right now, they're staffing a team of scare actors paid at daytime ops union rates (i.e. higher than seasonal performers) plus maze hosts. By closing this attraction, they no longer have to pay any of these employees, but they have a ready-made haunt attraction waiting to be opened back up for Horror Nights. Even better, they can now staff the facility - which is not defined as a permanent park attraction, but a seasonally-operating facility - with seasonal performers at the lower rate. It's sneaky and demoralizing, and people are losing their jobs because of it, but that's my assessment of what's happening.

I hope they can at least use the extra downtime to alter the layout somehow as a last hurrah of sorts. I doubt they will, but oh well.

I remember a year after the attraction opened that there were rumors of the final rooms (the cage rooms and that awkward room with the tv screens) were "temporary" and that they were gonna be replaced with a new room or 2 that would include material from the current seasons at the time. But it all died out once they started construction on the Secret Life of Pets ride and the facade for TWDA started getting smaller.

Reactions: torr4nce
Chris, is the shared IP that had you so excited last month still happening (to the best of your knowledge)? And if you can share, would it be considered "scary?"

To the best of my knowledge it isn't locked, that said I will be honest and have heard some discouraging news (or lack of to say the least) regarding it coming. And yes, it is a very spooky property.

I do know Murdy wants to lock down one of the white whales, of which I've heard 3 potential properties, but I'll just say upfront IT is not one of them.

To the best of my knowledge it isn't locked, that said I will be honest and have heard some discouraging news (or lack of to say the least) regarding it coming. And yes, it is a very spooky property.

I do know Murdy wants to lock down one of the white whales, of which I've heard 3 potential properties, but I'll just say upfront IT is not one of them.

Hope both coasts get some scary IPs.

“Scary” is subjective.

Do you mean that it's always subjective? Or are you saying that there's certain properties that are on the fence, that you're confident we're getting?

I agree with you in the first case, but there are some properties that would get massive complaints for being "not scary." Ghostbusters and Stranger Things, for instance, are most definitely "not scary" in my book. Non-coincidentally they were my two least favorite houses of the event.

Reactions: HHNManics
Do you mean that it's always subjective? Or are you saying that there's certain properties that are on the fence, that you're confident we're getting?

I agree with you in the first case, but there are some properties that would get massive complaints for being "not scary." Ghostbusters and Stranger Things, for instance, are most definitely "not scary" in my book. Non-coincidentally they were my two least favorite houses of the event.
Well, it’s always subjective. But it’s also subjective within the context of what’s coming. I’m theorizing a shared property that I don’t think is scary at all, but my wife refuses to watch because it terrifies her so much.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Well, it’s always subjective. But it’s also subjective within the context of what’s coming. I’m theorizing a shared property that I don’t think is scary at all, but my wife refuses to watch because it terrifies her so much.

Well, lord knows I've found houses that many disliked to be incredibly scary. Heck, I find Dinosaur super scary on a philosophical level (every creature you see will be dead in a few minutes).

Hope both coasts get some scary IPs.
“Scary” is subjective.
Ugh, stop with this. It’s so pedantic. We all know subjectivity exists, Plato solved that for us a long time ago. We all know anyone can find anything scary, but if “anything” is “scary,” then nothing is scary. It’s not what this person was asking lol.

I think what they were trying to say was “I hope we get some IPs that are traditionally and recognizably horror.”

Ugh, stop with this. It’s so pedantic. We all know subjectivity exists, Plato solved that for us a long time ago. We all know anyone can find anything scary, but if “anything” is “scary,” then nothing is scary. It’s not what this person was asking lol.
Except, it matters. I don’t find Exorcist, The Shining, or Friday the 13th scary at all. Despite their “horror” classification, and many pointing to them as “scary” IPs, I found their presence at HHN boring and unimpressive. The “Titans of Terror” get a collective shrug, and don’t get me started on the snooze-fests that are most A24 horror films. Event Horizon, 13 Ghosts, and The Strangers mess me up.

So, it matters. There is a possible IP I find humorous but by wife finds terrifying, to the point where I avoid mentioning it to her. So, is the IP scary?

People got scared by moments in Ghostbusters and Stranger Things. People watched House of a Thousand Corpse bored out of their skulls. So, when people say “I want scary IPs,” what they’re saying is, “I want the IPs I find scary.” That’s why the subjectivity is important to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.