Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except, it matters. I don’t find Exorcist, The Shining, or Friday the 13th scary at all. Despite their “horror” classification, and many pointing to them as “scary” IPs, I found their presence at HHN boring and unimpressive. The “Titans of Terror” get a collective shrug, and don’t get me started on the snooze-fests that are most A24 horror films. Event Horizon, 13 Ghosts, and The Strangers mess me up.

So, it matters. There is a possible IP I find humorous but by wife finds terrifying, to the point where I avoid mentioning it to her. So, is the IP scary?

People got scared by moments in Ghostbusters and Stranger Things. People watched House of a Thousand Corpse bored out of their skulls. So, when people say “I want scary IPs,” what they’re saying is, “I want the IPs I find scary.” That’s why the subjectivity is important to remember.
But nobody is asking you, “Hey Legacy, are the IPs you find personally and subjectively scary coming?” They aren’t even asking you, “Hey Legacy, are the IPs that I find personally and subjectively scary coming?” When people ask if “scary IPs” are coming, they are talking about intellectual properties that recognizable as horror, directly associated with the horror canon as a whole (which Ghostbusters is expressly not—it belongs more in the American comedy canon) and (probably most importantly) marketed as horror. Obviously “anything is scary.” But surely you can understand how something like, say, The Munsters is decidedly not scary compared The Strangers or Event Horizon or 13 Ghosts when you think of it aesthetically/thematically/stylistically, if not altogether empirically. Sure, someone out there might giggle at The Strangers but poop their pants at just the thought of Herman Munster, but that’s not the question at hand lol. Again, it’s pedantic.

But nobody is asking you, “Hey Legacy, are the IPs you find personally and subjectively scary coming?” They aren’t even asking you, “Hey Legacy, are the IPs that I find personally and subjectively scary coming?” When people ask if “scary IPs” are coming, they are talking about intellectual properties that recognizable as horror, directly associated with the horror canon as a whole (which Ghostbusters is expressly not—it belongs more in the American comedy canon) and (probably most importantly) marketed as horror. Obviously “anything is scary.” But surely you can understand how something like, say, The Munsters is decidedly not scary compared The Strangers or Event Horizon or 13 Ghosts when you think of it aesthetically/thematically/stylistically, if not altogether empirically. Sure, someone out there might giggle at The Strangers but poop their pants at just the thought of Herman Munster, but that’s not the question at hand lol. Again, it’s pedantic.
Is Shaun of the Dead horror? What about Gremlins? Army of Darkness? Cabin in the Woods? Ready or Not? Fright Night? Killer Klowns? Tremors? Zombieland? Jaws?

There are movies people clamor to have come to HHN, or have appeared at HHN, that straddle a line of pure subjectivity. Whether it’s scary is up to the individual.

Stranger Things is officially categorized as sci-fi horror. That’s objective. So, if we’re going to equivocate “horror canon” as the ”scary houses,” then Stranger Things can be considered one of the “scary houses.” But most people here vehemently disagree with that. Again, subjectivity.

Maybe... by reiterating that ”scary is subjective,” I’m alluding to a house lineup that will be entirely that. Not in a “it’s all Beetlejuice, Munsters, and Ghostbusters Afterlife,” way, but in a truly “something for everyone“ way.

Is Shaun of the Dead horror? What about Gremlins? Army of Darkness? Cabin in the Woods? Ready or Not? Fright Night? Killer Klowns? Tremors? Zombieland? Jaws?
Yes.

Stranger Things is officially categorized as sci-fi horror. That’s objective. So, if we’re going to equivocate “horror canon” as the ”scary houses,” then Stranger Things can be considered one of the “scary houses.” But most people here vehemently disagree with that. Again, subjectivity.
You’re arguing semantics, and I also think you’re taking people too literally when they say “scary.” We can easily designate Stranger Things a “scary house” even if the majority of people don’t consider it scary. There are two reasons why: 1) Its relation to the horror cannon, which you acknowledge, and 2) The thematic/stylistic intent that I mentioned previously. Even if you personally don’t find something scary on a visceral level, a simple critical evaluation can still reveal the intent of the film/tv series/whatever, which allows you to make an objective assessment that it is at least intended to be scary. There is empirical evidence on an aesthetic level that indicates the work is scary.

That’s the clear and obvious difference between Stranger Things and Ghostbusters, or The Strangers and the The Munsters, or anything else. I understand certain titles make it difficult on occasion because of the way they mix horror with other genres (like comedy), but “subjectivity” doesn’t make this kind of evaluation impossible, like you make it out to be. It’s actually a pretty simple question to answer once you get past the pedantic idea that “anything” can be scary. Again, if “anything” is scary, that means nothing is scary. Or, inversely, it means everything is scary, which is equally as illogical.

Okay I am very sorry for derailing things, shutting up now. :X

Last edited:
Maybe... by reiterating that ”scary is subjective,” I’m alluding to a house lineup that will be entirely that. Not in a “it’s all Beetlejuice, Munsters, and Ghostbusters Afterlife,” way, but in a truly “something for everyone“ way.

This is what I was asking. :)

Yo guys, I just realized something wild: Since TWDA will likely close in a month, this will be the first year since 2011 HHN will be 100% Walking Dead-free. Think about that.

General Rule of Thumb with TWD, don't assume it's gone until it's HHN and you find out it really is gone when you enter the gates.

Does this mean the obligatory HHN Jinx has been used and we tricked fate into retaining TWD after taking it away?

Last edited:
Reactions: HydraGen2299
Honestly I think we were naive to assume that we would have 10 mazes without including TWDA. In true zombie (sorry, "walker") fashion, it always finds a way back from the dead.

If only the expanded more on Twd attraction, it probably would’ve gained a bit more popularity. They missed so many opportunities to add The Governor, Negan, The Wolves, Terminus cannibals, or hell even The Whisperers. And they could’ve added that cool spiked walker.

If only the expanded more on Twd attraction, it probably would’ve gained a bit more popularity. They missed so many opportunities to add The Governor, Negan, The Wolves, Terminus cannibals, or hell even The Whisperers. And they could’ve added that cool spiked walker.
Well technically the attraction was made before the Whisperers made their debut in the tv series.

Status
Not open for further replies.